Anything that sound like Pink Floyd

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Vera Lynn
Blade
Blade

Post by Vera Lynn »

Thanks for the tips

[quote="Massed Gadgets"]It also depends on what era of Floyd you are talking about...there are bands and artists that are influenced by Syd and the early Floyd, like Robyn Hitchcock; some influenced by psychedelic Floyd like Saturnia; some influenced by mid-70's Floyd such as Eloy, especially on their album Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes; and even some heavily influenced by the latter day Gilmour led Floyd such as the band Dionysus. The Legendary Pink Dots often draw on influences from early Floyd, both Syd and post-Syd eras, as well as Syd's solo stuff, but they have a sound that is definitely their own.[/quote]
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Kimon wrote:I don't think it sounds like the floyd. Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong.
No, I don't think you're wrong. The sample given is from Harmonium's first album, which found them more in a melodic folk rock vein. With their second album Si On Avait Besoin d'une Cinqui?me Saison, they developed a brilliant drum free progressive rock sound which still retained some elements of folk style as well. Their third double album, L'Heptade was a symphonic prog rock journey played with an orchestra. The live version of it was done without the orchestra, but more keyboards and extended pieces. So there was a real evolution of their sound. A great band, though I would not necessarily say they sounded like Floyd at any stage, but their second and third albums especially would likely appeal to PF fans.

And Vera Lynn, if you have problems finding any of those artists, PM me and I'll see what I can do for you!
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

Did they release the orchestra-less double set as a live album?
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Pat Albertson wrote:Did they release the orchestra-less double set as a live album?
They did, on vinyl, and apparently a CD run that is no longer in print. It was called Harmonium en tourn?e. The story I heard was that it was released on vinyl without the band's permission, and after some legal wrangling it was discontinued. There wasn't supposed to be a CD version, but I see a few used copies of it floating around out there on amazon.ca, so I guess there was.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Massed Gadgets wrote:even some heavily influenced by the latter day Gilmour led Floyd such as the band Dionysus.
Sorry, I spelled this wrong...it's spelled Dyonisos.
pinknewbie
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pinknewbie »

Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Eloy

And as much as I'll be stabbed for it, Dream Theater definately have some real floyd moments. Expecially off scenes from a memory
sound_chaser
Axe
Axe

Post by sound_chaser »

I think Pink Floyd fans may like:

Spiritualized: Lazer Guided Melodies.

The Orb: Adventures From Beyond The Ultraworld.

Two fairly ambient albums from the nineties and both brilliant in their own way. The Orb's album, is a double disc and includes a piece called Back Side Of The Moon.
Zarquon
Blade
Blade

Post by Zarquon »

I've got En Tournee on CD...re issued in South Korea in a mini vinyl case
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Anything that sound like Pink Floyd

Post by danielcaux »

Of all bands, sludge metal pioneers The Melvins wouldn't seem like the first candidates for the title of "Floyd-like sounding band", but surprisingly this song sure does sound A LOT like Pink Floyd, or like some journalists like to call this kind of sound: "Meddle-era Floyd".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxFFggnHPM4

Another relatively "new" band with a couple of nice Floydian songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd_2TP58ZQ0
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re:

Post by my breakfast. »

pinknewbie wrote:Radiohead
No. Never.
pinknewbie wrote:Porcupine Tree
Maybe sometimes but still, their metal influences eclipse their Floyd influences.
pinknewbie wrote:King Crimson
When and where? No era of King Crimson sounds anything like Pink Floyd.
pinknewbie wrote:Eloy
Nope, not hearing that at all.

This thread is stupid, or at least indicates the short-sightedness of certain Pink Floyd fans. If you want a Floydian band to listen to you will always end up shortchanged. Listen to a band for their own merits, don't just think Pink Floyd is the high water mark and that close contenders are the only other bands out there.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

As I said earlier, if you want to listen to a band that sounds like Pink Floyd, listen to Pink Floyd. No other band sounds more like Pink Floyd.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If you like a certain style of music you may also want to listen to more music in that same style. I think you both are confusing this thread with the "Will we ever get another band like Floyd?" thread, which is a total different topic. I for example quite like "Breathe" and "A Pillow of Winds", but even Pink Floyd doesn't have many songs like those, so any bands that have songs with a similar sound I'm more than happy to listen too or a least know about :smt102
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I don't think there's anything wrong with a band that has certain Pink Floyd influences, like the above mentioned Porcupine Tree, but I find a lot of terribly wrong issues with people who discover bands on a basis that they sound like other bands, especially like bands who have created a unique sound and feel over the course of years. Some of those "sound like" bands are a fraud aimed at a distinctive target group (with ridiculous amounts of insincerity in their music, which automatically makes them bad), some of them usually sound like more famous bands only to someone with a lack of pitch and extremely overactive imagination. Either way, I'm happier to be pleasantly surprised with bits and pieces of Pink Floyd influences in bands I started to listen to for other reasons, than to be disappointed by blandness of bands I started to listen to because someone said they sound like Pink Floyd. But I guess there might be people who would disagree on this. :smt102
voxish
Axe
Axe

Re:

Post by voxish »

JKealy wrote:Mobb Deep
Can
Slayer
Hmmm - Can have a VERY distinctive sound - early Can is nothing like anything. Later Can maybe - Soon Over Babaluma is quite spacy and drifty in parts other than that no way! Of the German psych bands, Amon Duul2 in their improvisational tracks are Floyd-ish as are early Tangerine Dream - Atem and Alpha Centauri are good to listen to later ones diverge much more to Electronische/Psych. Soft Machine tend towards jazz a lot more but the later records (six and seven) are worth a listen for Floyd fans. YMMV of course.....

I'll have a listen and report back - TBH I frequently have PF echoes (sorry) listening to other bands - even Grateful Dead at times had some floydish tracks. Praps it's just me LOL :roll:

Edit to add: Hawkwind... listen to 'The Narrow Way Part III' from Ummagumma then 'Seven by Seven'