Post by my breakfast. »

Window licker.

PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: quite similar to pink floyd music

Post by PublicImage »

Window Licker

Radiohead are easily the best modern mainstream band I can think of. But they sound nothing like Pink Floyd, mainly due to the fact that their music is much more complex and they actually use synths originally, unlike Floydie. If somebody can listen to Kid A and Hail To The Thief and claim that they are over-rated, then they are clearly mentally ill.
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Post by corie »

PublicImage wrote:Window Licker

If somebody can listen to Kid A and Hail To The Thief and claim that they are over-rated, then they are clearly mentally ill.
funny stuff roger .
Olli
Axe
Axe

Post by Olli »

I think I've got a really good answer to this topic.
Oh by the way Radiohead are great but hugely different to PF.
Not better just different.

Anyway back to my favourite current band at the moment who, dare I say it, are the closest thing to a spiritual heir to Pink Floyd. (Anti flame shield on? check!)

The Reasoning http://www.thereasoning.co.uk are a six piece band whose influences are many and varied,
but they are very very Floyd-ish as well as being quite Gabriel era Genesis, a touch metal and infectiously accessible like good pop.

I love Pink Floyd, they are really my all time favourite band, but I still like finding something new as well; and what better than a band that is very similar? They are not stealing ideas so much as paying homage to old heroes. So please visit their site and give them some support if you like them.
Their first album has just come out and I'd far rather hear them getting heavy rotation on the radio than some of the crap you get these days.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

"Quëënsrychë", (don't remember how to write it, you know, 'Operation Mindcrime', etc) and "Tool" have been called by critics as metal descendents of the "Pink Floyd" sound (by the way, at what moment of their history "The Pink Floyd Sound" dropped the "The" from their name?). I haven't listen enough to any band but I can see SOME similarities in the "spaciousness" of their sound. Other band that claims to have been deeply influenced by Floyd is the "Smashing Pumpkins" but only a few unimportant tracks of them sound remotely similar to Floyd. Also "Spaceman 3" and "Spiritualized" were hailed as 80's-90's heirs of Pink Floyd.

I guess some bands can be similar in "sound" to Floyd while others can be similar in "spirit", you know, the way they approach the creation of music. I think that an album like "Kid A" is very Ummagumma-era spirited.
jude_the_obscure
Embryo
Embryo

Post by jude_the_obscure »

There's actually quite alot that reminds me of Pink Floyd:

- Spiritualized's "Ladies and Gentlemen, We Are Floating in Space": While I hear the "OK Computer"-DSOTM comparisons, this CD actually sounds closer (to my ears, at any rate) to the spirit of PF/DSOTM.

- Sigur Ros's "Agaetis Byrjun": This band is so Floydian, it's ridiculous! And yet, there's nothing derivative about this album. The first track will remind you of a cross between "Echoes" and "A Saucerful of Secrets"; the slide guitar on the 7th track sounds eerily like DSOTM. If only they made THIS album after Waters left! But I don't think Gilmour's voice will go that high. And I don't think he knows Icelandic. And I don't think he'd trade in his pick for a violin bow... But still, one can dream...

- Flying Saucer Attack's "Further": An entire album based on the sounds of "Cirrus Minor." Imagine pastoral guitar, vocals that at times will remind you of Gilmour, sung over harsh but beautiful soundscapes (if you have My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless," you'll know what I mean).

- Brian Eno: if you don't know his music, it's hard to say where to start. Maybe "Another Green World," since it's the best of both worlds, containing vocal numbers and instrumental numbers (which will surely remind many of PF). He made a few albums with the German "Kraut" band Cluster (another band that at times reminds me a bit of PF, esp. on their classic "Zuckerzeit"); a particularly Floydian track is "The Belldog." And not to be missed is the Bowie album, "Low," which was recorded with Eno. The all-instrumental second side is very Floydian.

- King Crimson's "Red": This particular classic incarnation of the band (the only incarnation that I really like) only made 3 albums (the other 2: Lark's Tongue in Aspic, & Starless and Bible Black); the last one is way out there, and fans of "Wish You Were Here" who haven't discovered this album are more than likely in for a treat. (By the way, the guitarist, Robert Fripp, was a frequent collaborator w/ Eno, and worked with Bowie as well during his "Berlin Trilogy.")

- Klaus Schulze: This pioneering German composer (a founding member of Tangerine Dream) has actually made 10 albums called "Dark Side of the Moog," which are dedicated to the "spirit" of Pink Floyd. His classics from the 70s include "Timewind," "Moondawn," "Irrlicht," and "Cyborg."

- Robert Wyatt's "Rock Bottom": This has the added benefit of being produced by PF's Nick Mason. I like to pretend that Wyatt's albums, as well as Eno's works, are the albums that Richard Wright really made (instead of, say, "Wet Dream"!).

- Roy Harper, assorted songs. He of course was the singer of WYWH's "Have a Cigar." Many of his songs sound Floydian to me; particularly "When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease" (the string arrangements sound like this track could have been on "The Wall"). While his earlier albums are considered his "classics," I recommend "Vanentine" or "Another Day in England" to the uninitiated...

- Other assorted edgy electronic composers: Aphex Twin (Vol. 2 in particular), Tangerine Dream (Phaedra), Mike Oldfield (Tubular Bells), etc.

- If you like 80s/90s Floyd, the jazz guitarist Terje Rydal has reminded many of David Gilmour, as he has sounded since Waters left the band... Personally, I'm not sure that's a good thing...

- Certain songs have always sounded Floydian to me... Besides the obvious (Lunatic Fringe and Silent Lucidity), 2 tracks by the Alan Parsons Project sound "floydian" to me ["Time," and "Day After Day (The Show Must Go On)"]; I'm So Afraid by Fleetwood Mac (the version on the "Live" album);
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

my breakfast. wrote:
snifferdog wrote:Last time I looked, Radiohead didn't have Syd, David, Roger, Nick and Rick amongst their number.
Last time I checked they were horridly over-rated, and had an obnoxious window-licker for a singer.
Gotta agree with you, man. Whenever I hear my professional musician/studio friends go on about how wonderfully original this band is I plop Faust's first four albums in their hands and say "listen". They invariably say something like "oh...". Ok, I've never been a fan of Radiohead. I don't hate them. They're ok. They are better than most things that are "charting", but I'm not interested in anything that is charting, anyway. I tire quickly of the singers whiny voice. Yuk. Gimme some Guk.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I don't hear how Faust is at all similar to Radiohead, other than the fact that both groups use synthesisers and guitars. Unless I'm missing something? Which Faust songs bear any resemblance to Idioteque, How To Disappear Completely, The Pyramid Song, 2+2=5, The National Anthem or Pack't Like Sardines in a Crush'd Tin Box? Faust probably influenced them, but I find their influence hard to spot on any Radiohead song, in all honesty.

The closest to Krautrock that Radiohead have come is their cover of The Thief by Can, which I don't think is very good.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Radiohead are easily the best modern mainstream band I can think of. But they sound nothing like Pink Floyd, mainly due to the fact that their music is much more complex and they actually use synths originally, unlike Floydie. If somebody can listen to Kid A and Hail To The Thief and claim that they are over-rated, then they are clearly mentally ill.
Clearly I am mentally ill...but, then if you put modern civilization under a Freudien analysis, you will find civilization en masse is mentally ill...go figure. The "window licker" is a whiner, he should do a duet with Billy Corgan live, and the peak of the performance will be that they both commit suicide right on the stage...one upping Kurt Cobain!
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Post by corie »

nosaj wrote:

Clearly I am mentally ill...but, then if you put modern civilization under a Freudien analysis, you will find civilization en masse is mentally ill...go figure. The "window licker" is a whiner, he should do a duet with Billy Corgan live, and the peak of the performance will be that they both commit suicide right on the stage...one upping Kurt Cobain!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Actually, I think Super Tramp often sounds like Pink Floyd...Roger Hodgson singing School sounds like Roger Waters in many respects.
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

PublicImage wrote:I don't hear how Faust is at all similar to Radiohead, other than the fact that both groups use synthesisers and guitars. Unless I'm missing something? Which Faust songs bear any resemblance to Idioteque, How To Disappear Completely, The Pyramid Song, 2+2=5, The National Anthem or Pack't Like Sardines in a Crush'd Tin Box? Faust probably influenced them, but I find their influence hard to spot on any Radiohead song, in all honesty.

The closest to Krautrock that Radiohead have come is their cover of The Thief by Can, which I don't think is very good.
Well, I wasn't referring to how much Radiohead sounds musically like Faust. I was pointing out to my friends that Radiohead and Faust share some traits. If I were to stretch it I could point out musical similarities. But I'm not into stuff like that. It's just that some younger, less musically educated people than myself seem to think that Radiohead has formed in some sort of vacuum apart from everything else. They are part of a musical heritage that goes back quite a bit. There are now a few more Faust fans because of little ol' me!
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

nosaj wrote:I think Super Tramp often sounds like Pink Floyd
I always thought this, Supertramp are like a poppier more accessible version of mid70s Floyd
they got the production values, the synths and saxaphones, the bleak worldview of failed idealism, recurring references to madness and the educational system, and in concert they too used big screen film projections which their music had to be perfectly sync'd to, meaning live versions were identical to studio versions
plus the cover of ...Quietest... is sort of like Wish..., and Crisis... is sort of like Animals , with Give A Little bit being much like WYWH the song and Fools Overture being similar to Shine On

the difference is Supertramp wrote much better pop singles than Roger Waters ever did
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Early seventies live Tangerine Dream reminds me a lot of early seventies Pink Floyd.
CINGO
Embryo
Embryo

Post by CINGO »

corie wrote:great . enxt time read first type second

i think u must type first and then read second!