quite similar to pink floyd music

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: quite similar to pink floyd music

Post by my breakfast. »

2066 wrote:
PublicImage wrote:I don't hear how Faust is at all similar to Radiohead, other than the fact that both groups use synthesisers and guitars. Unless I'm missing something? Which Faust songs bear any resemblance to Idioteque, How To Disappear Completely, The Pyramid Song, 2+2=5, The National Anthem or Pack't Like Sardines in a Crush'd Tin Box? Faust probably influenced them, but I find their influence hard to spot on any Radiohead song, in all honesty.

The closest to Krautrock that Radiohead have come is their cover of The Thief by Can, which I don't think is very good.
Well, I wasn't referring to how much Radiohead sounds musically like Faust. I was pointing out to my friends that Radiohead and Faust share some traits. If I were to stretch it I could point out musical similarities. But I'm not into stuff like that. It's just that some younger, less musically educated people than myself seem to think that Radiohead has formed in some sort of vacuum apart from everything else. They are part of a musical heritage that goes back quite a bit. There are now a few more Faust fans because of little ol' me!

Yes. But neither Faust or Pink Floyd produced 2 albums of pop-rock songs, then spazzed out and produced musicless lyricless albums full of electronic analogue noises (for which the action of Crawling up their own asses might not be out the question?). Did Thom Yorke have a stroke or something. Perhaps it was never diagnosed. Maybe he's happier that way.
CINGO
Embryo
Embryo

Post by CINGO »

thanks Jude_the_obscure .

your first post is a real help. i think this is whats needed to be done to keep the mods and the forum>wankers on track so that they donT just keep pitting over some useless crap.

with due respects to ALL members of this forum.
PLEASE CONSIDER THIS POST AS A :D AND A :? :)

NO OFFENCES?
NO.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

CINGO wrote:thanks Jude_the_obscure .

your first post is a real help. i think this is whats needed to be done to keep the mods and the forum>wankers on track so that they donT just keep pitting over some useless crap.

with due respects to ALL members of this forum.
PLEASE CONSIDER THIS POST AS A :D AND A :? :)

NO OFFENCES?
NO.
What in the name of fuck are you own about?
CINGO
Embryo
Embryo

Post by CINGO »

my breakfast. wrote:
What in the name of fuck are you own about?
i have a dog named cingo who is now licking my breakfast in the name of ...umm???...ah yes! fuck.
i train cingo sometimes.

hey man... just try to be on the topic. i hate guys that cannot read the topic. such useless crap is a waste of time.

dont do it.
dont make me do it.
understand politely..please.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

CINGO wrote:just try to be on the topic. i hate guys that cannot read the topic. such useless crap is a waste of time.
Never heard of lateral conversation? To be frank, only Pink Floyd's music sounds like Floyd because other bands at the time didn't copy their sound that closely, and if they did now they wouldn't be popular enough to get away with it, or called "lame-ass Floyd copiers" so either way nothing sounds like Pink Floyd.

Except My Chemical Romance's last album smacks of The Wall in places.
CINGO
Embryo
Embryo

Post by CINGO »

i learn from you my friend, that things are difficult if copied.
but i am not just seeking the complete copiers,but also those who after their influences by PF, just tried to 'be' like PF for a certain phase of time which reflects in their music or lyrics.
such might be also the bands, that try to 'base' their songs like PF or over the PF themes or select the chordal tunes too!

even some parts of Bryan adams songs sound like parts borrowed from PF songs.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

my breakfast. wrote:Yes. But neither Faust or Pink Floyd produced 2 albums of pop-rock songs, then spazzed out and produced musicless lyricless albums full of electronic analogue noises (for which the action of Crawling up their own asses might not be out the question?). Did Thom Yorke have a stroke or something. Perhaps it was never diagnosed. Maybe he's happier that way.
Which of their albums are musicless and lyricless? Are you thinking of John Cage?
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

PublicImage wrote:
my breakfast. wrote:Yes. But neither Faust or Pink Floyd produced 2 albums of pop-rock songs, then spazzed out and produced musicless lyricless albums full of electronic analogue noises (for which the action of Crawling up their own asses might not be out the question?). Did Thom Yorke have a stroke or something. Perhaps it was never diagnosed. Maybe he's happier that way.
Which of their albums are musicless and lyricless? Are you thinking of John Cage?
But, isn't the point John Cage is making, is that you can make music out of noise, like being limited to three notes played randomly, and over the course of a period of time, it produces music?
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I don't care what point he is making. His music does not sound good.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

REM's The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight is a total Pink Floyd ripoff.
jude_the_obscure
Embryo
Embryo

Post by jude_the_obscure »

I'm surprised when fans of PF write things like, "Radiohead sucks," and "Yorke has a whiny voice," etc. PF was never the critics' darlings; the band spurned interviews, and were generally immune to the latest fads and fashions in music, independently charting their own course that has only in the last decade come to be appreciated. We fans of PF had to tolerate a lot of snobbery and snickers for loving this band; I still have to defend the band to many friends. The band simply has to be appreciated via different paradigms than what the mainstream gatekeeping press uses to judge and "rate" music (the Rolling Stone Magazine paradigm: "Is it rock and roll? Does it recycle Chuck Berry riffs? Does it sound like Bob Seger?"; the Spin Magazine paradigm: "Does it sound like the Ramones/Clash or rap?"). Reading through press reports of the band, it does seem that PF was initially loved by the British press, but that the American music press, growing in hegemony and influence, came to dominate criticial reception of the band.

If you don't like Radiohead, that's fine; but why belittle those who do? I personally have a lot of respect for Radiohead, even though I didn't particularly like their last album, and doubt that the band has another masterpiece left in them (it's certainly not reassuring that their newest album is years overdue).

(It does suck that "The Wall" moved PF into the mainstream, and that after Waters' left, the band became a kind of a corporate oldies act. Clearly, all the members, including Waters, were in a period of artistic decline/stagnation.) PF had a huge influence on German music in particular; the great Klaus Schulze has, as I've written already, made 10 albums that reference PF's influence. Their influence can be heard as well in Can, Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, The Orb, etc. Via this influence, there's a direct lineage to Aphex Twin and then to Radiohead.

Popular music has clearly declined since the '70s. New techonologies overwhelmed not just PF, but many of the greats, including, say, Bowie. Sure, there have been bright spots here and there - MBV, Nirvana, Dylan's recent rejuvenation, etc. Gilmour's newest gives one hope... My basic point, in a long-winded sort of way, is that at least Radiohead is charting its own course, they have an independent spirit and are one of the few bright spots over the last decade. Perhaps the band is not as important as they seemed at the time; perhaps a later future will decide they were even more important than they seemed at the time. Who knows; that's for the future to battle it out.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

my breakfast. wrote:REM's The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight is a total Pink Floyd ripoff.
Is that a joke? :shock:

If not then could you pardon my ignorance and say what it is ripping off?
CINGO
Embryo
Embryo

Post by CINGO »

yea, what exactly is being ripped off by REM?
i find nothing.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

I must agree as well. I just listened to the REM song, and I find absolutely no correlation or Pink Floyd similarity at all, musically or lyrically. :?
CINGO
Embryo
Embryo

Post by CINGO »

the updated summary of the inputs in this topic is posted on the first page, first post.
can someone help to verify the comparisons so that they are not too way off like...
\ REM's The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight is a total Pink Floyd ripoff.\
ha!