Metallica record with... Lou Reed?

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Metallica record with... Lou Reed?

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I'm not much of a Metallica fan. I always wanted them to bring out a Greatest Hits, but the band themselves hate that sort of stuff.
I have heard and loved more Lou Reed albums. If "Lulu" is a metal band performing something of the standard of "Berlin" or "Songs For Drella" (but especially Berlin!) then I've got to go out and buy this sometime this year.
jschexna
Axe
Axe

Post by jschexna »

I just heard a 30 second snippett from the album posted on ultimateguitar. I don't know what to say. It sounds very...........unique. If this thing is a hit, I predict Jim Morrison and Slayer team-up next. I think James and Kirk cried during the recording of this because it sounds like poopoo.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

jschexna wrote:I just heard a 30 second snippett from the album posted on ultimateguitar. I don't know what to say. It sounds very...........unique.
Yeah, heard it too, and honestly, with all respect to both sides... I couldn't care less now... because I thought Lou's really old voice (he always sounded old, but these days his physiology is catching up with that) just does not fit with heavy riffs - which didn't really impress me, they weren't exactly bone-crushing or overly melodic.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Awesome film: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora%27s_Box_%28film%29

I love Louise Brooks in this film (a silent film made when the talkies were already established).

This film is based on the stories alluded to on this album...
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

I just heard a song from this called The View .... it's actually worse than I could have imagined. Cue 5 star reviews in "music journo" circles claiming some angle that means it qualifies as genius / groundbreaking / ahead of it's time / future classic. Yawn.

Awful, awful, awful shit.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I just heard the song and IMHO it sucks big time. It sounds like a street corner doomsday prophet babbling to early 1970s Black Sabbath, and the only good thing about it is that it eventually ended.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

*sigh* Back to the drawing board.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWtb621DRg

This sounds like a bad joke.
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

The constant "pshpshpsshpshpshpsh" of the open Hi-Hats / Crash Cymbal really fuckin grates.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

The View is a total joke... I know a single is not always a basis to judge an entire album, but still. Sounds like Metallica by the numbers with a poor (and entirely insincere sounding) vocal performance and lyrics from Lou. This sounds worse than i thought it would.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

David Smith wrote:I know a single is not always a basis to judge an entire album, but still.
I don't think that it's a common practice to release the worst song on the album as a teaser single. The teasers is usually either the best song on the album, the most radio friendly song or the song with most of the characteristics of the whole album. Judging by the fact that this song is awful and completely unlistenable, it must be the most characteristic song for the album, and if that is the case this album is going to suck big time.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Hudini wrote:
David Smith wrote:I know a single is not always a basis to judge an entire album, but still.
I don't think that it's a common practice to release the worst song on the album as a teaser single. The teasers is usually either the best song on the album, the most radio friendly song or the song with most of the characteristics of the whole album. Judging by the fact that this song is awful and completely unlistenable, it must be the most characteristic song for the album, and if that is the case this album is going to suck big time.
Yeah but sometimes the radio friendly one can be a particularly bad representation of the album that follows if the album does not cater much for a mainstream audience. As a Lou fan i don't think his singles are necessarily always representative of the larger work, often being low points. In particular Disco Mystic from The Bells, The Power of Positive Drinking from Growing up in Public, Adventurer from Set The Twilight, Who Am I from The Raven and any of the singles of Ecstasy. His albums tend to be fairly uncompromising and the singles are often the most sugar coated songs.

In saying that i don't know why i'm even trying to pretend there's a chance this album won't suck. I definitely don't have much faith in it.
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

moom wrote: The band says they wanted to do something "not 100% Metallica"
well, that pretty much describes everything they've done post "the black album".
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I am still intrigued. This might just end up on my purchase list, because of Lou Reed, not Metallica.
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

nosaj wrote:I am still intrigued. This might just end up on my purchase list, because of Lou Reed, not Metallica.
Surely if any album deserves to downloaded illegally its this ...

a) Cos it's gonna be shit and therefore will save you money.
b) It annoys Lars Ulrich