Re: Metallica record with... Lou Reed?

Post by wiped »

Im here to help :)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

David Smith wrote:His albums tend to be fairly uncompromising and the singles are often the most sugar coated songs.
Well if this shit is sugar coated, I don't even want to imagine the rest of the album...
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

This sounds and looks very much like a music industry "favor". Nobody lasts this long with this much success without owing some favors. Offers they can't refuse.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Sami Jarroush has the best review of The View, skip to 3:31 - he puts it short and very much to the point.
The best The View review (hmm rhymes well) you'll ever hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUaInTvjLxY
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I will be buying this album. I don't care what people think. Ten years from now it'll either be the greatest album of the decade or the greatest cult album of the decade. It doesn't sound like Lou (apart from the vocals) and it sounds a lot slower than Metallica.
Bring forth the music snobs, I could do with a laugh.
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Ten years from now it'll either be the greatest album of the decade or the greatest cult album of the decade.
.... and it'll still be available for sale so whats your point , you're gonna buy it now so you can pat yourself on the back in the 10yrs time for how "right" you were ? ...

.... regardless ... to me it sounds awful and doesn't matter one fuckin iota if becomes a "cult classic" or not .. shit to my ears is shit to my ears and no amount of "cool" will change that.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Ten years from now it'll either be the greatest album of the decade or the greatest cult album of the decade.
The fact that there will always be musical snobs that classify anything considered by the general audience as rubbish as cult won't make it any better though. In ten years it will still be crap, unless it somehow magically turns the world's musical taste around and changes the face of music. Although I have no doubt that it will indeed be some kind of snob's cult classic as the horrendous "Metal Machine Music". There will always be people who'd listen to unlistenable noise just for the sake of being different (and thus "cool"), and there will always be artists who'll exploit that.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Well, reviews have so far been pretty darn negative... I don't think any one of us is going to be particularly surprised though
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

David Smith wrote:Well, reviews have so far been pretty darn negative... I don't think any one of us is going to be particularly surprised though
I'm still interested. <ii> Plus, music journalism does have a habit of revising their opinions from time to time.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

David Smith wrote:Well, reviews have so far been pretty darn negative...
I like how one reviewer put it:
"I used to say St Anger wasn't Metallica's worst album and be in minority. Now I am in majority"
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

David Smith wrote:Well, reviews have so far been pretty darn negative... I don't think any one of us is going to be particularly surprised though
There's always one...
The internet almost broke under the weight of WTFs and ROFLs when this unlikely collaboration was first announced. It brings together rock’s most curmudgeonly men under one studio roof; one assumes Van Morrison was invited but told them all to feck off. So what do Laughing Lou and thrash metal’s mightiest band have in common? Therapy. Reed, who endured electroconvulsive shock treatment to vanquish his gayness at the behest of his parents, doesn’t talk about it. Metallica, on the other hand, are happy to involve their fans in their healing process, as 2004’s 'Some Kind Of Monster' testifies.

Rock is littered with odd pairings: Bing/Bowie, Kylie/Cave. The difference between ‘Lulu’ and these beauty/beast couplings is that Lou Reed is no ingénue, is he? That’ll be where you’re wrong. On this hour-and-a-half long player Reed oft assumes the character of Lulu, the desirable young temptress from German playwright Frank Wedekind’s late 19th-century play Earth Spirit and its sequel, Pandora’s Box. What Lulu lacks in emotional warmth she makes up for in sexual hunger.

“I am your little girl”, sings Reed on the throbbing, tortuous ‘Mistress Dread’. He then becomes Jack The Ripper on the unhinged ‘Dragon’, and it all goes a bit American Psycho: “I’m clawing your chest ’til your collarbone bleeds/Piercing your nipples ’til I bite them off”.

You’re unlikely to play this record at your next soirée but the breadth and ambition is to be applauded. Metallica have performed way beyond what many thought them capable; they improvise freely as Reed’s musical bitch, while for him this marks his most outré offering since ‘Metal Machine Music’. Pretentious? Oui. Self-important? Natch. Any cop? Pretty damn fine actually.

Jeremy Allen
http://www.nme.com/reviews/lou-reed/12416 They gave it 7/10. Although every other review I've seen in magazines give it lower.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Jeremy Allen wrote:Quote:

You’re unlikely to play this record at your next soirée but the breadth and ambition is to be applauded. Metallica have performed way beyond what many thought them capable; they improvise freely as Reed’s musical bitch, while for him this marks his most outré offering since ‘Metal Machine Music’. Pretentious? Oui. Self-important? Natch. Any cop? Pretty damn fine actually.

Jeremy Allen

What a load of bullshit.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Wow, I have read bad review after bad review of this album...which means I might actually like it. :D
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

And here we have a clip from Jools Holland. This sounds a little better than the album version actually:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toP57rDQtPE