Evanescence, yep!

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Eclipse

Evanescence, yep!

Post by Eclipse »

This is one of my favorite bands. Amy Lee is an amazing singer, probably one of the best female singers I've ever heard. She is breathtaking live!
She is also very intelligent and a great composer because, IMO, their songs are in a top level within the genre they cover.

I love many styles of music, from rock (especially prog), to metal, to jazz, to experimental, to Bach-baroque era, and I think good music is not restricted to a genre. After all, what is "good"? It is all a matter of taste. And I think there's a lot of unfair prejudice and preconceived ideas against this band (mainly said without even paying attention to what the band delivers).

Their songwriting really catches my attention, and I don't even care for some of their "teen-angst" lyrics (and not all of them are like that, there are some intelligent ones too). A LOT of classic rock bands have that kind of approach to lyrical content.

From a musical point of view, they are well constructed and bloody amazing IMO.
They have an excellent rhythm section: amazing drummers especially, through the career. There's a strong sense of groove in their music, and the guitars follow very well the drum and bass "kitchen", which is a very interesting approach IMO. It is quite the opposite of Iron Maiden (which I love too), where the bass has a similar role to that of the guitars, while also acting as rhythm section, but more in the foreground. In Evanescence, however, the guitars aid to the groove section. The main atmosphere is constructed along a orchestrated background, but the guitars, when not grooving, can appear to the foreground too. Pretty creative IMO!

Also, about the songs: Most people know My Immortal, which of course is beautiful. But they have some amazing gems less known. My favorites are Imaginery and My Last Breath. Tourniquet is great too.

They have a very interesting orchestrated album (with electronica) called Synthesis. But, IMO, they are even better live (this album has a live version of it), and I usually listen to bootlegs by them, thanks to Amy's powerful vocals and the amazing rhythm section.

This short performance of theirs is a good start, for anyone interested on knowing the band without preconceived ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVdLjceIn8M

And this is the Synthesis version of Imaginary. The original is from the Fallen album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMVXMe89gC0
mosespa

Re: Evanescence, yep!

Post by mosespa »

I wanted to like them; particularly since I was working on a concept piece around the time I first started hearing of them and I liked the combination of piano with heavy rock. I took a little "influence" from them and was very happy with how the song I had rearranged according to my perception of their style came out.

However, I was also still working at the strip club at the time and when they got really hot, they became one of those bands that the dancers fought over. Nothing can kill my attraction to a band faster than a bunch of drugged-out, issue-laden cunts fighting over WHOSE BAND a particular artist is.

Even the words of the club owner--"unless you own the copyright to the music, you don't get the be the only one dancing to it"--couldn't stop them from doing gross shit like urinating in each other's gear bags for the crime of dancing to a song that "belonged" to someone else.

I left the club in 2005 and still can't erase the negative associations.

Now, to be clear and fair, Evanescence were FAR from the only act that crap like this happened over.

But they were one of the ones that the greatest amount of this immature crap happened over.

Not the band's fault, of course. But they're forever tainted in my eyes because of this.
Eclipse

Re: Evanescence, yep!

Post by Eclipse »

wow, this is powerful and breathtaking:

My last breath (they labeled the song title wrongly as "everybody's fool" in the begining of the video) - 2003 show in Germany:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxS1HKjUmjQ

Imaginary, from the same show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB7BsFJaXHo