Lick Library

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Ageless Stranger
Axe
Axe

Lick Library

Post by Ageless Stranger »

Any of you guitarists out there use ************************ ?

I've got a few of their DVD's and recently bought one of their Pink Floyd DVD's ********************************************

Jamie Humphries is a pretty good teacher, and breaks down each piece of music into small enough chunks to make learning quite fun.

What method of learning do you prefer? Tab, DVD, yotube or the good old fashioned learn by ear method?

EDITED BY ADMIN - No advertising links please.
Neil
Axe
Axe

Re: Lick Library

Post by Neil »

I've used the LL dvds before. They certainly have their uses, those dvds. Humphries used to play in a covers band I know well, before I saw his LL contributions. I would say that I think some fingering and phrasing aren't quite 100% accurate, but hey, he will get you there, and if you can learn one way of phrasing a lick, chances are you can work out another way which is either easier for you to play, or just sounds nicer to your ears.

You might want to check out Fret Hub. The guys who run that site used to perform in Aussie Pink Floyd, and have a dedicated Floyd section on their site. The layout is also much more user friendly, and is endorsed by Brian May, for what that's worth. And I think they're slightly more engaging!

That said, from LL I also enjoy the tutorials from Danny Gill (whom Ive also seen live - amazing player, and very good tutor IMO), and Mike Casswell. Sad to say, but Mike Casswell passed away last week in a tragic accident while in holiday. Sad for someone so young and talented. Another contributor on LL is Dave Kilminster, who took the 'Dave' parts on Roger's The Wall tour in 2011. I actually was sat next to Kilminster for a few moments before the start of one of the gigs, wondering what the hell he was doing sat in the audience rather than lounging around backstage. It was then I twigged he might not be playing, and that someone might be taking his place....
He did indeed disappear backstage only a couple of minutes before the start, but my hunch was right - it was the night Gilmour played on top of the Wall for Roger. Always did wonder though if Gilmour played more than just CN, albeit unseen, behind the wall....

As for method of learning... I always prefer learning with someone, especially someone better than you are. Not only can they pass on techniques, but I seem to pick things up quicker watching how someone else has played something. Tab is useful if I'm trying to learn a lot in one go, but its an aid memoire for me. Playing with someone else also gives you the opportunity to jam a bit, which really helps with your timing, building your confidence, improvisation... it helps in so many ways over just learning tab, I cant imagine. Also, I kind of tend to find that if you learn tab, you end up being a slave to it. Watching someone else do it, or trying to work it out yourself, opens up different ways of playing things which give you more freedom of expression, and a better understanding of how the guitar works. Learning a piece note for note is fine if you're in a covers band or tribute act, and you want to give a faithful rendition of a song, but it comes at the price of discovering your own voice. If you've ever tried to play Hendrix, for example, you cant tell me you'd ever be able to replicate, note for note, any of his songs exactly. IMO, theyre not meant to be copied that way. Its more about getting the feel for the song. And don't underestimate your own ear. Sometimes, you might just happen onto a way of playing something that just sounds better to you!