I'm confused

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

I'm confused

Post by Stiggs »

I've been a huge fan of Pink Floyd for a long time now (2 years isn't much, really, but I'll be a fan for a loooong time). I thought I knew everything, but now I think I've been mistaken the entire time.
Let me start off with a song as an example: Mother, a great song from The Wall. I thought that the "Hush now baby, baby, don't you cry...Momma's gonna..." etc. etc. part was Roger Waters and the "Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb" verses were David Gilmour. Now after reading the one posting on the NPF Forum called "Who Is Pink Floyd's Lead Voice?", I guess I was wrong the entire time, but now I'm just confused. If someone could reply to this confirming either my mistakes or beliefs, I'd appreciate it.
pinktim
Axe
Axe

Vice Versa

Post by pinktim »

You have got it exactly the opposite. Roger is Mother do you thing they'll drop the bomb. And, David is Hush now baby.....con't you cry.

Their voices can easily be mistaken at times. Takes a lot of listening to really know the difference.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

boy I feel dumb

Post by Stiggs »

so I was wrong...and I've been saying Roger Waters has the better voice the entire time...ah well. Then Long Live David Gilmour!

Oh yeah, Echoes is by far the best Pink Floyd song! Right behind that is Shine On You Crazy Diamonds...but that's a different topic altogether.
jizhomer
Blade
Blade

Post by jizhomer »

I always found Comfortably Numb a good vocal explaination! Roger (obviously) does the Hello is there anybody in there and Dave (obviously)
does the There is no pain you are receding. Listen a few times, you'll be sorted for ever more! (I think!) :D
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Post by Stiggs »

It's not that I got their voices confused, it's something else. When I first started listening to Pink Floyd a couple of years ago, I didn't know whose voice was whose, so I figured that since Roger Waters is the main man of Pink Floyd, it made sense that the leader of the band have a better sounding voice. I used to think that David Gilmour's voice (remember I had the two mixed up) was rather annoying, and somewhat whiny. Until I listened to The Wall's song "The Trial." And I gave "Dave" props because he nails the vocals in that song. I listened to The Final Cut, and it seemed odd to me that the backup vocals were present for 99.9% of the entire album.
But one day I came across a website that gave an analysis of The Wall...what the songs mean, etc. I read Comfortably Numb, and the webmaster had "Dave and Roger's" voices mixed up. But surely he was right, and I eventually realized I was wrong.
So there ya have it...for over 2 years I was defending Roger Water's voice as superior when in actuality it was David's voice that I consider superior.
Long live Pink Floyd! And mellow out Roger, you got the credit you deserve! You just need to realize it.

Post by Guest »

STIGGS, HOW OLD ARE YOU? 13.
Janie

Post by Janie »

Have you ever listened to Waters voice. Every voice is different at times? He hits it so perfectly every time he sings. Hits what. the different type of voice he wants to hit. from the first voice on the albumn to the emotions on every song. Dave , too. I am not tryting to say who overall (jazz, blues,classical, punk, pop, feeling wise) everything like that and more, who is the better singer. But I just do not like the way you say it so bluntly and wrongly, so quick. Just like a kid. like somebody else said i think. Listen to the show must go on. the voice is unbelievable. listen to run like hell. perfect. perfect. perfect is good. real good. he sings like that to this day. If you watch him sing he will just change his whole voice and it will be perfect. Like wa...it. I think that actually it is him singing on comfortably numb and the trial. He is that good, he just toggles with his voice and sings how he felt. Many Many other things also.What about, in the flesh. Hey you. Vera. I mean. Everything. everything. now it does take time but... everything. Daves voice , too. it just bothered me how you said it. just like like i think he's better screw the other guy. if you think that this one is better than that is great, whatever. but you just were like screw the other guy. don't read the wall. listen to the wall.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

jeez

Post by Stiggs »

I will never understand why people badmouth other people over the internet...yeah you're not face to face, but come on, did I badmouth Roger Waters' voice? No. I gave him props for nailing The Trial. I like Roger Water's voice, I just think that David's is superior. Read the previous post I did which explains how I got the voices mixed up. I said in detail why, not trying to sound like I was badmouthing anyone. Both David and Roger are great vocalists, not once have I heard either of them screwing up anything, either with vocals, or guitar or bass. I didn't mean to put my opinions on there so bluntly, I guess I just didn't expand on them as much as I should have. Read some of the other posts I have done and you'll see that I can go into detail in order to defend my opinions. And I listen to The Wall every day, just for the record. So please people, don't badmouth someone just because they write something you don't agree with, or because they make a mistake. That's extremely immature on your part.
And for the record I'm 20.

Post by Guest »

You said that
"Dave" nailed the voice on the trial.

-And I gave "Dave" props because he nails the vocals in that song.

Post by Guest »

And mellow out Roger, you got the credit you deserve! You just need to realize it.
Boy Roger is..

it just bothered me how you said it.
Have you ever listened to Waters voice?
the voice is unbelievable
He is that good
I FEEL THAT ROGER IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE NICEST ..
also one of the most unselfish people..
(factly speaking)

You said that
"Dave" nailed the voice on the trial.

-And I gave "Dave" props because he nails the vocals in that song.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

READ

Post by Stiggs »

READ my POST. Did you notice how I had "Dave" in quotation marks? I put dave there because I was showing at THAT time I still had their voices mixed up, so I thought it was DAVE who was singing. I actually CONFESSED my MISTAKES and admitted I was wrong, and said it should have been Roger there. I'M NOT BADMOUTHING ROGER, we all know you LOVE him so much and he's very NICE.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Another amendment

Post by Stiggs »

Look "guest". I'm sure Roger Waters is a nice guy. Apparently so because you have met him in real life and got your facts that he is a nice guy and I'm sure he is a nice guy. NOW. In the past I'm sure he was nice as well, but you can not ignore the facts about the history about Pink Floyd. Roger was the main lyricist of the band, and as the band's popularity begain to grow to immense proportions, so did Roger's ego. He left Pink Floyd because he had to, yes, because he had to do his own thing. He did a solo tour, where everything was based on him. He was the leader of the band, everything else was backing him up. He wrote all the lyrics by himself. Which he wanted. So by going solo, he got exactly what he wanted. 100% credit. Since he got what he wanted, there was no need to be overly selfish. He can be cool to everyone now.
But not to let my head swell here. My hats are off to you, guest. You have met Roger in person. I'm jealous. I want to give him props for being a good lyricist and bassist, and guitarist as well. But back in the late 70s and early 80s he was developing an ego problem that has now subsided.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Stiggs,
welcome to the club and two years service to boot. Ive been a fan of pink floyd for over 25 years and still think they are the dogs nads. Although I think rog has got a good singing voice he has always doubted his ability to sing and until The Wall would let dave sing the bits he was unhappy with. On Wish You Were Here he was so doubtful about his singing ability he got Roy Harper to sing Have a cigar.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Roy Harper sung have a cigar because it was right at the limit of Roger's vocal range. This doesn't mean he is not a good singer for not being able to reach those notes comfortably, it just means he was born with vocal chords that don't squeeze that tight to reach those high notes!! :lol: :lol:
djproject
Axe
Axe

Post by djproject »

drafsack wrote:Stiggs,
welcome to the club and two years service to boot. Ive been a fan of pink floyd for over 25 years and still think they are the dogs nads. Although I think rog has got a good singing voice he has always doubted his ability to sing and until The Wall would let dave sing the bits he was unhappy with. On Wish You Were Here he was so doubtful about his singing ability he got Roy Harper to sing Have a cigar.
There were two reasons for Roy Harper singing "Have a Cigar":
1) Waters' voice was strained from singing "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"
2) Waters couldn't sing it with a straight face but the lyrics related to the band's experience with record execs (I would love to hear the outtakes on that one :))