Gilmours guitar made in Croatia

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Gilmours guitar made in Croatia

Post by Damn!t »

I have came across an interesting article about a guy from Croatia who knows Gilmour, infact made a guitar for him couple of years ago:

A GUITAR FOR PINK FLOYD

When Slavonia is mentioned, the first associations are granary, kulen, but also failed agricultural combines and companies, in short - a part of Croatia that just cannot walk in step with economic well-grown regions. What's the point? Truly, one cannot believe the first thesis about the people that are inactive, uninterested and do not see out of their own yards, because it is a generalization without insurance. The story about Eugen Daba Peranic from Slavonski Brod proofs that the dreams are reachable if there's enough persistence and even stubbornness, which creates ways to realise the final cause. In one of such unusual stories, Mr Peranic has made a guitar for David Gillmour, guitarist of the band Pink Floyd.

Sojourn in London

It began a long time ago, when Eugen was taking English lessons while working in company "Đuro Đaković Tedington", which was a business partner to a British company "Bellows". In the beginning Eugen was taking the lessons in Slavonski Brod, and then he was given an English course and sojourn in London as a reward for four successfully finished half-years.

"Like it was destiny, I have sent a fax to my English school asking if they could help me to find some housing. When a secretary got my fax, she was with her friend whose father was from Osijek and lived in England. She has rented me a room with pleasure, so that her father could talk to someone from his town. He was Oscar Nemon, a Jew, world-famous sculptor who has made busts of many famous persons, for example Sigmund Freud and Winston Churchill. During the Second world war he went from Osijek to England. And so I was taking my lessons and in my free time I was visiting various shops and other places, discerning the specifications of everything we call West. A home-friend and a godfather of the Nemon family was David Gillmour. During various occasions I have discerned that the people with enough money and possibilities highly estimate handworks, so I promised David to make him a guitar. He has just laughed, but I explained him that I really will, but first I have to make a house and a workshop."

There's a buyer for every product

"It happened in 1982, and I really made the guitar in 2001. Of course, David was truly surprised, but also glad because of my persistence", says Mr Peranic. Fortunately, today the world is connected with Internet and there's a buyer for every product. I invested 25,000 € in my workshop beacuse the tools are very expensive, and there are also many difficulties when supplying parts. For example, I lose much money and time to get a small part that worths only 5 €. I need 250 hours of effective work to make one unicate guitar on customer's request, and its price is about 2,000 €. Of course, today you can find a good guitar ih shop for only 100 - 200 €, so where is the profit consideration? In my cause it is the persistence in working the job I love and a hope that the handwork will be more estimated, because the robots can produce anything today, but they cannot put soul in it", says Mr Peranic.

David Gilmour was especially satisfied with donated guitar and with the persistence of Eugen Daba Peranić from Brod on the right.
In love with David G
Blade
Blade

Re: Gilmours guitar made in Croatia

Post by In love with David G »

Tx for this great article (and lovely photo from David!! =P~ ) :D
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Ha. Finally a post from someone.
And there was me thinking that this article would be interesting only to me and that it'll sink fast.
...probably will, after this post lol
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Damn!t wrote:Ha. Finally a post from someone.
And there was me thinking that this article would be interesting only to me and that it'll sink fast.
Wow, interesting article to me too. Great! :D
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

That's an interesting yarn. That guy was certainly persistent and it appears to have paid off.
In love with David G
Blade
Blade

Post by In love with David G »

Damn!t wrote:Ha. Finally a post from someone.
:D well I play guitar myself, so I'm always interested in David's guitars! And besides the cool article you posted:
a new picture of David \:D/

Can't help it....I'm a true Gilmourholic................*sigh*
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

oh CROATIA ](*,)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Damn!t wrote:kulen
=P~ =P~ =P~

When I first saw the title I thought Gilmour bought one of Muzička Naklada. :lol: Interesting article indeed. Where did you find it?
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

Hudini wrote:
Damn!t wrote:kulen
=P~ =P~ =P~

When I first saw the title I thought Gilmour bought one of Muzička Naklada. :lol: Interesting article indeed. Where did you find it?
Or maybe he got one vintage Melodija Mengeš...

Very nice article. I've read somewhere that Mark Knopfler also got a guitar from a croatian builder.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

crofloyd wrote:Or maybe he got one vintage Melodija Mengeš...
That wouldn't surprise me much, those were very good guitars. I used to have one of those. I still have one Muzička Naklada which I'm very fond of but not really satisfied with.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

I bought my first acoustic guitar in "Muzicka Naklada" shop in Banja Luka 1986. <ii>
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Ah.... the Nostalgia thread it seems! :lol:

Melodija Mengeš was a first guitar that I played too. My brothers had one and it was a
nice copy of Les Paul. Sounded allright too.

About the article; well, my bro found just a bit in the papers some two years ago, but until
recently, there was no sign of this bloke, or a bigger article around. So I came across this
last week when I typed that guys name in the google picture search.

He has a workshop website if some of you nutters want to spend 2000 Euros on a custom built guitar:
http://www.dabo-guitars.com/
JingleJangleMan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by JingleJangleMan »

Dave Gilmour was given two Dabo acoustic one six one 12 string,apparently Dave or his friend and engineer Mark St John damaged the 12 string version in the studio,the guitar lay around for years until Mark gave it to Paul GT of Ampaholics,The 12 string can be seen being played at the rear of the photo behind Dave,The Dabo website above does not work ,does anyone know why or have any contact details on Dabo guitars or Eugen Dabo Peranic