Setlist for 2015 tour?

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Setlist for 2015 tour?

Post by kjek1 »

shopaholik wrote:My musical life would be completely satisfied if I could hear Echos live! I dream of this every day!!! If I find out he is playing this, I will follow him everywhere possible. This song is the most beautiful music ever. It is so lifting and brings chills, smiles, and sometime tears of happiness to me each time I listen. Never has any music been able to do this. Please, David, don't leave this out.
As a spectacle Roger's Wall show is the greatest thing I've seen, and will probably ever see, but musically the highlight of my gigging experiences so far is easily Echoes live in 2006.

Don't get your hopes up though, I have serious doubts about whether or not he'd play it without Rick. He even said shortly after Rick's death there's a lot of songs he'll feel like he can't play any more, and because they shared vocals and Rick is very prominent in Echoes I'd bet that's one of those songs.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

I don't think he is gonna play Echoes either, if anything more chance that he does Dogs (I seriously doubt it)

Beside his solo album, I am pretty certain about Comfortably Numb and Wish you Were Here. Most likely Shine On You Crazy Diamond and High Hopes as well... For the rest it's almost impossible to tell, most likely 2-3 other Floyd Hits, 1 or 2 more obscure Floyd song. Maybe 1-2 solo song from other albums.

The guy will be 70 year old during that tour, so I don't really expect a 2.5 hours show like in the past.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Judging by his last couple of tours, I see the most probable setlist as this:

- The new album in entirety
- A couple of songs from the last one, probably 'On An Island' and definitely 'Smile' (a love song for Polly, remaining in setlist since 2001)
- A few classic Floyd signature songs: definitely SOYCD, WYWH and CN, and probably a 'Breathe'/'Time' combo as DSOTM representatives
- A few 'Gilmour Floyd' signature songs: definitely 'High Hopes' and CBTL (another love song for Polly) and maybe a resurrected 'Sorrow'
- 'Louder Than Words' (there's no better time than this)
- A Syd Barrett song as a tribute (most probably 'Astronomy Domine' or 'Terrapin')
- A Rick Wright song as a tribute (most probably 'Remember A Day')
- A few more obscure early 1970s Floyd songs written or co-written by him (for some reason 'Childhood's End' seems probable enough)
- 'Blue Light'. (Just kidding. :lol: )
hypermikem
Axe
Axe

Post by hypermikem »

Well at this point, having never seen Gilmour live, I'll take what I can get from one of all time favorite musicians. He could play Yackety Sax for all I care. :lol: That being said, and having secured tickets for both shows in Hollywood, I wonder if he will play the exact same set for all the two night shows, or if he'll mix it up just a bit with a few songs here and there. Well I suppose it will nice to find out in September, assuming he keeps things consistent for the North American tour.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Hudini wrote:Judging by his last couple of tours, I see the most probable setlist as this:

- A couple of songs from the last one, probably 'On An Island' and definitely 'Smile' (a love song for Polly, remaining in setlist since 2001)
- A few classic Floyd signature songs: definitely SOYCD, WYWH and CN, and probably a 'Breathe'/'Time' combo as DSOTM representatives
- A few 'Gilmour Floyd' signature songs: definitely 'High Hopes' and CBTL (another love song for Polly) and maybe a resurrected 'Sorrow'
- A Syd Barrett song as a tribute (most probably 'Astronomy Domine' or 'Terrapin')
- A few more obscure early 1970s Floyd songs written or co-written by him (for some reason 'Childhood's End' seems probable enough)
I doubt it. If Smile, WYWH, Comfy Numb, Time, breathe, coming back to life and high hopes are musts then it leaves no room for anything else so there's no way they'll all be in there.

His encore will be Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

kjek1 wrote:I doubt it. If Smile, WYWH, Comfy Numb, Time, breathe, coming back to life and high hopes are musts then it leaves no room for anything else so there's no way they'll all be in there.
Leave out a 25-minute version of 'Echoes' and you have a lot of time on your hands. And it's going to be either 'Time' or 'Breathe', no way he's going to play both.

WYWH and CN are absolute musts. The last time WYWH wasn't on the playlist was during 'The Wall' tour, and CN has been a live highlight ever since; CBTL has been a constant since 1994 and he also keeps playing 'Smile' since 2001. I can't imagine he's going to drop any of it now to play 'Cruise' or 'Love On The Air'.
SgtPepper
Embryo
Embryo

Post by SgtPepper »

Hudini wrote:Judging by his last couple of tours, I see the most probable setlist as this:

I'm not so sure about 'Time', as that also featured Rick quite heavily - possibly swap it out with Money instead?
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

Hudini wrote: WYWH and CN are absolute musts...
Oof.
Hudini wrote: …I can't imagine he's going to drop any of it now to play 'Cruise' or 'Love On The Air'.
Hopefully not this; those are possibly his two worst solo songs - I’d rather hear virtually anything from his solo catalogue than WYWH or CN, just not these. And are we going to have to beg to ever hear Murder? Really? What a song - correction: WHAT A SONG - but I guess I'll take WYWH/CN/etc. AGAIN.
SgtPepper wrote:…possibly swap it out with Money instead?
Aside from its being wildly awful (nice lyrics, sure, but Money is a lurching clunker wrapped around a 5-star, gold-plated guitar solo (one of those songs for which Roger should send David a thank you card, along with Have A Cigar - hey, maybe these were included to provide contrast for the otherwise perfect creations that those albums were) and TDSOTM would be better off without it), playing something written solely by Waters at a Gilmour show strikes me as out of bounds (I know DG played some of those at the PF shows under his command, but that’s a bit different - and I also know DG played Money during some of the About Face tour - and it was wrong then, too).
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Hudini wrote:
kjek1 wrote:I doubt it. If Smile, WYWH, Comfy Numb, Time, breathe, coming back to life and high hopes are musts then it leaves no room for anything else so there's no way they'll all be in there.
Leave out a 25-minute version of 'Echoes' and you have a lot of time on your hands. And it's going to be either 'Time' or 'Breathe', no way he's going to play both.

WYWH and CN are absolute musts. The last time WYWH wasn't on the playlist was during 'The Wall' tour, and CN has been a live highlight ever since; CBTL has been a constant since 1994 and he also keeps playing 'Smile' since 2001. I can't imagine he's going to drop any of it now to play 'Cruise' or 'Love On The Air'.
WYWH and CN will be in there. Why would smile definitely be in there? Because he played it as a new track at the festive hall in 2002 and then played it again when he was actually touring the album that it featured on? I don't think so.

I don't think Time, Coming back to life or Smile will definitely be in there. I think there's a good chance Time will, but the other 2? Nah. And 20 extra isn't much extra when we're talking Pink Floyd songs.
pffann
Axe
Axe

Post by pffann »

hypermikem wrote:Well at this point, having never seen Gilmour live, I'll take what I can get from one of all time favorite musicians. He could play Yackety Sax for all I care. :lol: That being said, and having secured tickets for both shows in Hollywood, I wonder if he will play the exact same set for all the two night shows, or if he'll mix it up just a bit with a few songs here and there. Well I suppose it will nice to find out in September, assuming he keeps things consistent for the North American tour.

Being the Huge DG fan I am I've always said the man could get on stage with his guitar and do a kick ass version of the ABC's and throw in a few rifts he's so famous for! I would Love to hear him do "young lust"! <.8.> Just to hear Oooo I need a dirty woman come from him live! <ii> Never gonna happen but I can still dream....
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

kjek1 wrote:Why would smile definitely be in there? Because he played it as a new track at the festive hall in 2002 and then played it again when he was actually touring the album that it featured on?
No, because it's a love song for Polly. And we all know how much David likes singing love songs to Polly. CBTL is the best example.
kjek1 wrote:I think there's a good chance Time will, but the other 2?
There just has to be something from DSOTM in there, and when you think of it rationally it's either 'Breathe' (±Reprise) or 'Time'. I don't see David as a solo artist playing any of Roger's songs and I also don't see a point in anyone playing 'On The Run' and ACYL outside the context of the album, and there's a pretty slim chance he'll play TGGITS which spotlights female vocalists and is pretty much pointless outside the album context and/or without Rick. Which leaves us with 'Breathe' and 'Time'.
kjek1 wrote:Nah. And 20 extra isn't much extra when we're talking Pink Floyd songs.
Maybe so, but you can still fit 'Murder', 'Near The End' and at least one more song in there. And I for one wouldn't complain about that.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Hudini wrote:
kjek1 wrote: No, because it's a love song for Polly. And we all know how much David likes singing love songs to Polly. CBTL is the best example.
CBTL being practically the only example really.

I have mixed feelings about CBTL, I love the music, it's very emotive, but I find the lyrics make me feel a little bit red faced and uncomfortable.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I may have not written succesful lyrics and sold many albums, but my opinion is that CBTL lyrics aren't as bad as some other stuff out there that they've done together. fact remains that it's a very personal song that would've been much more at home on a solo album. I enjoy it quite a bit and so did Mason and Wright judging from PULSE, and I'm personally looking forward to it live all the same.

here's a good one, and not a long shot: ONE OF THESE DAYS. oooo <.8.>
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

raisemyrent wrote:I may have not written succesful lyrics and sold many albums, but my opinion is that CBTL lyrics aren't as bad as some other stuff out there that they've done together. fact remains that it's a very personal song that would've been much more at home on a solo album. I enjoy it quite a bit and so did Mason and Wright judging from PULSE, and I'm personally looking forward to it live all the same.

here's a good one, and not a long shot: ONE OF THESE DAYS. oooo <.8.>
One of these days would be amazing!!

You're right about Coming Back to Life. It's not my personal preference in terms of it's theme and lyrical content, it's by no means bad lyrically, just not to my taste. The music is brilliant though, the two solo's are some of Gilmour's best in my opinion.

Whenever I break down lyrical and musical content of Post waters Floyd and post Floyd waters it always boils down to the same thing for me. Floyd missed Rogers drive and creative mind and lyrical input, Waters missed Gilmour and Wright's musical inputs. Not surprising really.
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

Sorrow
Murder

...and whatever else he likes.