pompeii 7/8 july

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: pompeii 7/8 july

Post by jtull »

Thanks for this crofloyd. Very fine photo essay. :)
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Yeah thanks for that amazing stuff...

I knew he had a lot of gears, but that much? No wonder why I can't get anywhere close his sound.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:Gilmour returns to the legendary Pompeii, and opens the show with.....the worst songs of his career:

1. 5 A.M.
2. Rattle That Lock
3. Faces Of Stone
4. What do You Want From Me
5. The Blue
6. The Great Gig in The Sky
7. A Boat Lies Waiting

It's like some alien kidnapped the cool, experimental David and replaced him with this retirement/bingo parlor FM-lite version. There's just no self-awareness at all to that setlist considering the context. Just none.

How cool would it be to hear the slow cymbal/noise wave from A Saucerful of Secrets to open the show, or the eerie bass line from Careful With that Axe?

BTW, for anyone who thinks I'm pro-Waters, he's just as bad. Both men are terrified of being uncomfortable. They need producers to tell them what's shit and what's not (or each other), but their ego's won't let it happen.

It's pretty simple: Stop the politics, Roger. Stop the FM-lite noodling over synth pads Shine On Version 6,435, David. Get into a room and mess around with synths and distortion. Make cool shit again.

apparently the producer for Roger's latest will be Radiohead's producer. THAT's a huge chunk of self-awareness from Roger that IMHO bodes well for the new album, at least musically (I have no doubt it will be riddled/bloated with political lyrics).
Radiohead's latest effort was complete and utter crap, so yeah that bodes well eh.

Seems you still failed to grasp that David's on the "rattle that lock tour" and not the "Pink Floyd's Greatest Hits Tour". And you absolutely are pro-Waters, I've been reading the forum long enough to know what you are like.

Kind of ironic that you want them to be uncomfortable by "messing around synths", something that was absolutely their comfort zone at one point in their career
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote:
Radiohead's latest effort was complete and utter crap, so yeah that bodes well eh.

Nope. Currently #639 all time at Rate Your Music, and #2 for 2016 (the definitive music list site):

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album ... aped_pool/

Pink Floyd has the most albums in the top 100 there, so the users know their stuff.

A Moon Shaped Pool is the kind of album the Floyd would have made if they had continued together: Understated, but beautiful. Listen to a song like "Daydreaming"" a few times and you'll get it. The song is freaking amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTAU7lLDZYU

Radiohead is, and has been the "new" Floyd, and unlike the floyd post-The Wall, they are doing everything right: acknowledging the sum is more than the parts, checking egos at the door, and releasing beautiful music.

Roger and David went on to release largely crap , under the heavy influence of Yes-Men and wine and cheese studio sessions that made them soft and weak(David and Rick have a few awesome songs on TDB and TER, no question about that, and roger a few killer gems on ATD).

Seems you still failed to grasp that David's on the "rattle that lock tour" and not the "Pink Floyd's Greatest Hits Tour". And you absolutely are pro-Waters, I've been reading the forum long enough to know what you are like.
The Gilmour setlist for Pompeii is embarrassing, and completely out out touch.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Is there a way to set up a filter for specific user posts?
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Flathead wrote:
kjek1 wrote:

Nope. Currently #639 all time at Rate Your Music, and #2 for 2016 (the definitive music list site):

Pink Floyd has the most albums in the top 100 there, so the users know their stuff.

A Moon Shaped Pool is the kind of album the Floyd would have made if they had continued together: Understated, but beautiful. Listen to a song like "Daydreaming"" a few times and you'll get it. The song is freaking amazing:

Radiohead is, and has been the "new" Floyd, and unlike the floyd post-The Wall, they are doing everything right: acknowledging the sum is more than the parts, checking egos at the door, and releasing beautiful music.

Roger and David went on to release largely crap , under the heavy influence of Yes-Men and wine and cheese studio sessions that made them soft and weak(David and Rick have a few awesome songs on TDB and TER, no question about that, and roger a few killer gems on ATD).

bore off already!
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Roger Waters fanboys make me laugh tho. Oh he will say that his favorite was Syd... Well sorry dude but Syd era Floyd sounds like The Beatles on a bad day (or a bad trip :lol: )

I said it!
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:
kjek1 wrote:

You need other people to tell you what's good and what's not? Enough said. It was crap, complete and utter crap, and your "I'm a Syd fan" act fools no one.

Anyway Syd was never any kind of genius, he made a few decent tracks but I think his abilities are seriously overplayed due to sympathy of what happened to him.

As someone else said, bore off. If you don't like Gilmours solo output do the rest of us a favour and stay away from this section of the forum, it makes no sense for you to be in here, stirring up crap and then reporting the posts when you get a retort
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

The set-list for Pompeii is completely out of touch. Anyone who says otherwise is being intellectually dishonest.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Look I won't lie that I was expecting a bit more than One of These Days and Great Gig maybe whole DSOTM one night then more original Pompeii stuff in the second set and something else another night but it's not ''out of touch'' it's just a DG gig in Pompeii.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

It's *Pompeii*, man.

There's a responsibility to uphold that legend when one of the chief artists responsible for perhaps the greatest live recording in rock history returns for the first time in 40+ years.

It just shows how much of a bubble there is.

The opener for that gig is ASOS or OOTD. That's all there is to it.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

This is a thread about David Gilmour's Pompeii concert, not an arena to start a Gilmour vs Floyd/Gilmour vs Waters squabble. All of this bickering, especially by Kjek1 and Flathead, is taking the thread off-topic and is needlessly unpleasant. More importantly, it is unfair to the people who wish to discuss David Gilmour's concert from last week and are having that discussion disrupted by this tit for tat trading of insults and irrelevant comments. Cut it out now.

Any more bickering, snarky comments or taking of this thread off-topic and there will be bans issued.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Flathead wrote:It's *Pompeii*, man.

There's a responsibility to uphold that legend when one of the chief artists responsible for perhaps the greatest live recording in rock history returns for the first time in 40+ years.

It just shows how much of a bubble there is.

The opener for that gig is ASOS or OOTD. That's all there is to it.
Don't you be getting carried away now. It's only #6 on rateyourmusic....
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

What are you guys? Twelve?

Anybody here ready to accept one simple fact of life: some people prefer some music over another and you can't argue over that? That being said, you can easily sound like a fucking idiot trying to prove the legitimacy of your devotion for "insert name here" by slagging off one of his peers. Saying that Syd is overrated doesn't make Roger Waters musically potent and saying that Waters is obsessed with boring political issues doesn't make David Gilmour a better lyricist. As a wise man once said: get a grip, people!

edit: Gilmour seemingly did an awesome job in Pompeii. Playing OOTD was the only sensible thing he could do on his own as a reminder of the 1971 event - every other song wouldn't have made sense. David Gilmour, the 2016 touring and recording artist is a very different animal than Pink Floyd circa '71 and the fact that he played Pompeii in 2016 while not turning the concert into a phony tribute show speaks volumes about his artistic integrity. The quality of the newest material is another story (see my comment above).
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Dave has been made an 'Honorary Citizen of Pompeii' -

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/da ... nship.html