Black Strat V.S Red Strat

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
WarwickMusicMan
Embryo
Embryo

Black Strat V.S Red Strat

Post by WarwickMusicMan »

So, I'm in two lesser know Floyd tributes, as the bassist and guitarist, respectively, and I am looking for a new guitar (again) and I was debating whether I should buy a red strat and add the EMG pups, or buy a black strat and mod the toggle switch in... I was leaning more towards the red strat, but I feel like most people wouldn't get it, seeing as the black strat is Gilmour's most popular guitar... What do you guys think? If you saw a floyd tribute, would you expect to see the guitarist with the black or red strat?

"See, I was hoping for something more psychedelic..."
- Me
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Black Strat V.S Red Strat

Post by kjek1 »

Black strat all the way. It's been his baby since 1970 and the red strat was only used in the post Waers Floyd tours which wouldn't be as popular as prime 4 member Floyd anyway.
Peter Harold
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Harold »

Can one of you, or both of you or anyone, expand a little bit about this topic? Everyone knows that a red Fender Stratocaster gives more groupies, but beside that... what is the difference between the two colours in this case? Please, educate someone who knows... nuthing *Emanuel-of-'Fawlty-Tower'-accent*
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

WarwickMusicMan wrote:I was leaning more towards the red strat, but I feel like most people wouldn't get it, seeing as the black strat is Gilmour's most popular guitar...
The black Strat is the official David Gilmour signature model from Fender, so if you're going strictly for the look go for that one. While David did use the red Strat extensively in the late 1980s and early 1990s, most people would probably associate that color with Mark Knopfler more, since it's the color of his signature model. But if you're going for the sound I guess either red or black or even white is as good as any.

Hell, you could even try this atrocity:
learningtofly
Axe
Axe

Post by learningtofly »

I have, I believe, the same candy apple red US Standard strat as DG, so I guess I’ve a soft spot for red.
I considered replacing with EMGs too, but in the end replaced the standard PUPs with Bare Knuckle Holy Divers.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Interesting thread.

As for his black strat, did you ever consider buying his signature guitar?
Neil
Axe
Axe

Post by Neil »

Well, here's my two groats worth...

I've got both the Custom Shop Signature Black Strat NOS, and a red Fender Powerhouse Deluxe Strat, from which I've taken out the original pups and put in the EMG-DG20s. The Fender Powerhouse is, I think, a Mexican, and is finished in Candy Cola Red, rather than Candy Apple Red. The difference is really subtle, and can only really be seen in certain lighting IMO, but the essential difference is that the Candy Apple Red has a base layer of silver paint, whilst the Candy Cola Red has a base layer of gold paint. I think the Candy Cola Red is a shade or two closer to what I'd call blood red, but as I say, the difference is subtle. For info, there was no need to gouge out any wood from the Powerhouse to incorporate the DG-20s - they fit just fine.

The Black Strat is a thing of absolute beauty. The sound is stunning, it really is. I'm not sure what strings it was set up with, but there is a pack of GHS-DG Boomers in the case, so I assume its those. I'm not sure if they're a thicker gauge than I'm used to, but they can be a little tough on the fingers, especially if you're trying to pull off a few of those one-and-a-half tone bends that DG produces. I've occasionally not hit the tone correctly because I need just a tad more strength in the fingers... but I'm working on it. On the hand, the neck is nitrocellulose lacquered, which means its really fast. Well, for me it is anyway. I find I have to be careful not to overrun a slide, especially if its more than a few frets. Once you're used to it though, its lovely to play. There is a switch which allows you to blend the neck and bridge pick-up, although tbh, I haven't experimented with it that much.

The Red Strat has Fender Superbullet strings, which I'm able to bend far more easily. As for the EMGs... I think they're amazing. The Tone 1 and Tone 2 perform completely opposite functions - the first scoops out the mid range and boosts the lower and higher frequencies, whilst the second massively boosts the midrange. Its almost, but not quite, like having an EQ on board. It allows for some drastic changes in sound IMO. The pups are so quiet its untrue - no noise comes out of them whatsoever, but once you start playing... I'm pretty sure they're more powerful than the fender issue pickups that were in it originally.

So I guess if you're in a band, the real decider is what you think would sound best, or which you'd be able to play best. I'm so used to seeing Floyd tributes using a black strat that I think it would be refreshing to see someone use the red. That said... the Black Strat is iconic.... Tough call!!
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

I got a black strat replica but I think I prefer the red tone one especially on neck pickup.

I think it depends the song your trying to play tho, for Shine On and A great Day for Freedom especially I prefer the red strat but the black strat sound is amazing during Echoes.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Hudini wrote:1. While David did use the red Strat extensively in the late 1980s and early 1990s, most people would probably associate that color with Mark Knopfler more, since it's the color of his signature model.

2. If you're going for the sound I guess either red or black or even white is as good as any.

3. Hell, you could even try this atrocity:
1. including me. Though when I see Knopfler play it, I always think of David also :lol:

2. that probably depends on what they play - if 70s stuff, I'd defo go for the black one. And get the DG strings on it, too (I've seen and used some) :)
but then you say you wanted something psychedelic... and I don't associate either Strats with that.

3. lol WHAT shape is that supposed to be :lol: ?
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Anyone else find it weird that Dave uses 10 gauge strings?

I've used his signature strings a few times and playing his songs on them literally tore the skin off my fingers. It's just odd that a guy that utilises string bends the way he does uses a tougher gauge, he must have strong hands. I still prefer a lighter 9 gauge set
WarwickMusicMan
Embryo
Embryo

Hudini wrote:
Hell, you could even try this atrocity:

OMG :lol: :lol: Is the the SG's ugly step sister???
WarwickMusicMan
Embryo
Embryo

kjek1 wrote:Anyone else find it weird that Dave uses 10 gauge strings?

I've used his signature strings a few times and playing his songs on them literally tore the skin off my fingers. It's just odd that a guy that utilises string bends the way he does uses a tougher gauge, he must have strong hands. I still prefer a lighter 9 gauge set

Yeah, I always suspected he used 9s... But i guess not. I'm currently sporting a set of gilmour 10 strings on my gilmour workmate tribute telecaster.. love the sound and the feel of them.. but IMHO theres no difference between the gilmour sig. series and a regular set of 10s, except the d string being a slightly smaller gauge..
WarwickMusicMan
Embryo
Embryo

Neil wrote:So I guess if you're in a band, the real decider is what you think would sound best, or which you'd be able to play best. I'm so used to seeing Floyd tributes using a black strat that I think it would be refreshing to see someone use the red. That said... the Black Strat is iconic.... Tough call!!
That's my thoughts exactly.. It would be refreshing to use the red strat.. But the black strat is iconic... but the red strat sounds amazing on Shine on...

But I saw DG at the ACC on April 1, 2016, and he used the black strat for shine on and THAT sounded like heaven on earth... (the entire show sounded like heaven on earth lol)

I'm completely torn
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

^ I was at the ACC the day before and ''Faces of Stone'' sounded like Heaven on Earth.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

kjek1 wrote:Anyone else find it weird that Dave uses 10 gauge strings?

Well, you ARE supposed to wear your fingers down to the marrow to be a good player :lol: