Black Strat V.S Red Strat

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Neil
Axe
Axe

Re: Black Strat V.S Red Strat

Post by Neil »

moom wrote:
kjek1 wrote:Anyone else find it weird that Dave uses 10 gauge strings?

I've used his signature strings a few times and playing his songs on them literally tore the skin off my fingers. It's just odd that a guy that utilises string bends the way he does uses a tougher gauge, he must have strong hands. I still prefer a lighter 9 gauge set
Well, you ARE supposed to wear your fingers down to the marrow to be a good player :lol:
Yeah, but Geez!!!

I play Castellorizon from time to time, which has a few bends around the second and third frets. It's not easy bending that far down the fretboard as it is - I can do it fine with my superbullets - but with the DG Boomers it damn near pulled my callouses off!
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

I find it easy to bend 10s, except when I go over a tone on the high E string. In fact I find 9's way too soft and to me it doesn't sound right.

What I find weird tho is that David said his action is the lowest possible, I can't put any vibrato if the action is low. I tried for days but I really need to be able to grab the strings.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Neil wrote:
moom wrote: Well, you ARE supposed to wear your fingers down to the marrow to be a good player :lol:
Yeah, but Geez!!!

I play Castellorizon from time to time, which has a few bends around the second and third frets. It's not easy bending that far down the fretboard as it is - I can do it fine with my superbullets - but with the DG Boomers it damn near pulled my callouses off!
Just remember - you're on the path to greatness 8)
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Most blues players who utilise bends go for light 9 gauge strings

That's the only reason I was surprised at Dave using 10's.