Live at Pompeii CD, Vinyl, DVD, Bluray & Deluxe in 2017

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Live at Pompeii DVD in 2017

Post by Wolfpack »

Flathead wrote:
theaussiefloydian wrote:Good for Gilmour. It would be utterly wrong for him to play 'Echoes' without Rick.
Or "Money" without Roger.
kjek1 wrote:Yeah because Rogers role in playing Money is huge
raisemyrent wrote:Well duh! He wrote it!
In performing 'Money', Waters's role is not in the least as big as Wright's role in 'Echoes'.
Listen to compilation 'A Collection of Great Dance Songs' (1981), for a version performed almost entirely by Gilmour.

In writing 'Money', Waters's role is huge.
Not in performing.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

He wrote the bass line, the lyrics, and the melody.

Kind of lame to play it without him. It simply wouldn't exist.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Flathead wrote:He wrote the bass line, the lyrics, and the melody.

Kind of lame to play it without him. It simply wouldn't exist.
It may even be the question if Waters is performing the bass on the 'Dark Side' version.
I guess a lot people wouldn't notice that the 'Great Dance' version is different and almost entirely performed by Gilmour.

It seems to me, you're basically saying that Gilmour shouldn't perform Waters songs.
In that case, Waters shouldn't perform 'Young Lust', 'Comfortably Numb' or anything else co-written by Gilmour.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

There's only a few songs Roger shouldn't sing, one being WYWH, he absolutely butchers it, it was actually painful at Live 8 when it transitioned from Gilmour to Waters

By the way. I hope you guys know Rog bumped money from Led Zeppelin, so I'd use the term "wrote it" very loosely
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

kjek1 wrote:There's only a few songs Roger shouldn't sing, one being WYWH, he absolutely butchers it, it was actually painful at Live 8 when it transitioned from Gilmour to Waters
I saw Live8 on TV with a friend who also loved the band. When that transition happened, we laughed.

And laughed.

And had tears in our eyes.

But still laughed!
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

It's so bad that if I try to follow that version of the song on the guitar I get all messed in my chords and strumming when Roger start singing. Everything goes out of whack!
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:
kjek1 wrote:There's only a few songs Roger shouldn't sing, one being WYWH, he absolutely butchers it, it was actually painful at Live 8 when it transitioned from Gilmour to Waters
I saw Live8 on TV with a friend who also loved the band. When that transition happened, we laughed.
Waters had lost his voice, that performance. What is so laughable about that? :shock:
To me, it's like laughing about Gilmour not being able to properly play guitar. :?

Maybe I was the only one enjoying this reunion as being a beautiful moment for having all four "classic" Pink Floyd members peacefully together, including a greeting to the lost fifth member.
I didn't know it was a comedy show for some people. :?
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Kjek1, why are you showing a photo of yourself as a baby? :? :lol:
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Wolfpack wrote:Kjek1, why are you showing a photo of yourself as a baby? :? :lol:
Christ that was a hell of a comeback. I don't know if I can get back up!
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Wolfpack wrote: Waters had lost his voice, that performance. What is so laughable about that? :shock:
To me, it's like laughing about Gilmour not being able to properly play guitar. :?

In that particular case Roger could have let David sing the whole thing or at least just do the last part at 2 but off course he wanted to sing a whole verse. It's funny because it went from so good to so bad.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

It's a fair representation of Waters's musical abilities these days.

Flathead your logic as ever makes no sense. Roger wrote the riff. Good. Without Gilmour it's a cover.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Follix wrote:In that particular case Roger could have let David sing the whole thing or at least just do the last part at 2 but off course he wanted to sing a whole verse.
What? Waters wanted to sing a whole verse?
A whole verse that could have been sung by the Holy Gilmour?! :shock:
Yeah, let Gilmour do all the singing and make a reunion rather pointless... :lol:

Did you also laugh when Gilmour forgot the words of 'Comfortably Numb', during his O2 reunion with Waters?
He has sung that song maybe a hundred times and still he gets lost in it? :?
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Wolfpack wrote:
Follix wrote:In that particular case Roger could have let David sing the whole thing or at least just do the last part at 2 but off course he wanted to sing a whole verse.
What? Waters wanted to sing a whole verse?
A whole verse that could have been sung by the Holy Gilmour?! :shock:
Yeah, let Gilmour do all the singing and make a reunion rather pointless... :lol:

Did you also laugh when Gilmour forgot the words of 'Comfortably Numb', during his O2 reunion with Waters?
He has sung that song maybe a hundred times and still he gets lost in it? :?
Look he's back with another comparison only a simpleton could dream up

Forgetting words through nerves and being shit at singing, heck of a comparison there.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

kjek1 wrote:Forgetting words through nerves and being shit at singing, heck of a comparison there.
And once again, the Holy Gilmour is right! :lol:

Even though he's a veteran professional, he can still let the nerves get the better of him?
Maybe you can make something up to blame Waters for making him oh so nervous?
Otherwise it might look like Gilmour didn't rehearse good enough for this show...

Forgetting words isn't being bad at singing?
Only if your name is David Gilmour! :lol: