Theater Screening of Live From Pompeii

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Jezebelly
Axe
Axe

Theater Screening of Live From Pompeii

Post by Jezebelly »

It's only 10 days away! I'm so excited!

Who else is going?
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Theater Screening of Live From Pompeii

Post by twcc »

I'll be at Yeovil ... :D
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Me too...well, not in Yeovil :D I wonder will they have tarted up the audio?
Jezebelly
Axe
Axe

Post by Jezebelly »

snifferdog wrote:Me too...well, not in Yeovil :D I wonder will they have tarted up the audio?
The previews sound like it. It wasn't overly loud when we were there, was it? Probably has something to do with protecting the ruins.

The mix sounds amazing. Did you see OOTD that they released last week? I can really hear the keys in it - it sounds fantastic! I think it was from night 1.

I can't wait! It's tomorrow!!!!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Have fun! Enjoy the movie!
Try not to compare it with the Roger Waters The Wall Movie as it's a different thing, but am still think it will clean up in the DVD/Blu Ray sales.
Whatever happened to that huge reissue from the parent band that happened recently?...
Sentience
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Sentience »

It's just a few hours away now, New Zealand time. Can't wait, and I know the cinema is fully booked too. :D
Sentience
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Sentience »

Wow, that was awesome! The tracklisting takes a bit of a cut from the Blu-ray edititon, but the performance was amazing. Shame it's for one night only.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
It's like watching the TV coverage of New Year celebrations as the festivities move from NZ to Oz and around the globe ... there are still seven hours to wait in the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuhTtHJ ... e=youtu.be

<ii>
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Really enjoyed it, great sound and guitar tone throughout.

The cut out songs are going to be a nice treat when the full release comes out later this month.

My only issue was the Sorrow guitar solo. It didn't seem as focused as some of the ones I'd heard from the tour and certainly not at the level of PULSE.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

ha! i'm almost 12 hours away from the show myself! we've got to be the last timezone getting it.

p.s. noticed that about sorrow on this tour as well.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Excellent film, pin sharp images that were so good you could make out an individual hair on DG's arm. The sound (effects) were good and the surround sound was used to effect so that the cinema audience felt that they were part of the original concert. It was interesting to see that the original 'on-screen' reaction was maybe more enthusiastic to the older songs and that this was echoed by the cinema audience that tended to politely hand clap the old material rather than the newer songs. I'll have to check out the Blu-ray as I'm sure there were some continuity errors regarding the circular screen lights, the right-hand girl backing singer jewellery and the spare plectrums on the microphone stand ... minor, I know, but once you're looking you cannot ignore.

Overall well worth watching on the big screen.

<ii>
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Fabulous movie. The mix of sound revealed a lot about what was played by whom. I can certainly hear this 'loose' sound Gilmour referred to in an interview on why he brought in certain musicians.
So did anyone sit there remembering the concerts from last year?
I certainly did. I feel extremely lucky to have seen so many and to have such wonderful memories of those gigs.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I had never been to a concert screening before so what a good one to break my duck with. Even though it started with a couple of my least favourite Gilmour songs (What do you want from me? and the boring A Boat lies waiting), it more than made up for that later. At times I almost forgot I was at a cinema screening and almost cheered at the end of some of the songs :shock: It looked fantastic, sounded great and really showed off the arena and the effects. High Hopes was one of the highlights for me. On the other hand, what were they thinking of with Great Gig in the Sky? The rendition by the backing singers sounded like cats mating. Actually that would've been a better soundtrack to the music. If Gilmour ever plays live again, I strongly suggest they leave GGITS off the playlist. Unless he finds someone who can actually perform it properly. What was done to it in Pompeii was horrendous.
vizor
Axe
Axe

Post by vizor »

Good show. More Pink than I expected.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Yes. They cut a few songs like today, the blue, faces of stone, on an island... plus coming back to life.

Re the comment on great gig: really??? I think the singer brings the house down! Every performance (7 but not played every time) we saw them it was Incredible. Best version live yet IMO. I do think that the initial harmony for this show was a bit different; I don't recall 100%. Reminded me ever so briefly of the ABSOLUTE DOG'S BREAKFAST that the singers do with Roger, minus the horribly out of tune bit. That said, Lucita Jones is unbelievable. The other 2 singers are great too. IMO the great gig was done justice and then some... if I had to nitpick it, I'd say Mr Philinganes took some slight liberties with the piano part with respect to the record.

Overall, great show, great sound (such a high def mix), and cool scenery. I still cherish my royal Albert hall nights (both legs of the tour), and hope they're included on an official release at some point. But like someone else said, it really did remind me of being at the shows, and actually made me wish for him to go on tour again!

P.s. We're seeing Roger in about a month. Roger who? That's right lol