Paranoid Eyes. Best song on The Final Cut?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.

Paranoid Eyes. Best song on The Final Cut?

Yes, good call...as usual. It rules.
13%
No, its great, but not the best on the album.
22%
No but good luck with India dude.
17%
Why isnt this ahole banned yet??
30%
Oh for F Sakes..I'M TRYING TO SING A SONG! I mean I dont care. You dont want to hear it, you know. F you.
17%

Total votes: 23

Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Paranoid Eyes. Best song on The Final Cut?

Post by Idisaffect »

The girl on folk guitar was NOT better than the original. She was completely generic. If that was a dude you guys wouldn't have even noticed. Mosespa, you can certainly do a better version yourself.

I think Paranoid Eyes is a finished song. It is not a work in progress as a song. It has 3 verses, the chorus and an instrumental bridge. I agree the production of the song sounds like a work in progress. Obviously, Waters does not release works in progress. He wanted minimal production on this song. The chord changes are similar to Mother and I think it would have sounded even more like Mother if he added guitar. Personally,I would have produced it more. Put a Gilmour solo in there. Add some guitar. Who cares if it sounds like Mother. (I'm aware that there is some guitar on the recording but it's minimal and certainly not exciting). I'd have Gilmour sing it but the lyrics are too personal.

I like it more than Southampton Dock which is totally overrated. The title track will always be my favorite.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

My comment that it sounded to me like a work in progress had nothing to do with the production, arrangement or composition of the song.

It simply sounds (again, to me,) like a song that he didn't actually finish writing. Never mind how many verses, bridges and choruses it has...the song just feels like it was almost finished...but not quite.

Particularly, for me, that jumpy little piano part in the end of the choruses. I think that that sounds like something that was just about to be ditched in favor of another idea...but the session came up and they had to go with it as it was.

While I'm certain that it's as Roger intended, I still can't help but feel that Paranoid Eyes would have benefited from someone (say...Gilmour, for example,) had told him "it's not finished yet. Take it home tonight and finish it."
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

:lol: I wonder what would have been Waters reaction had Gilmour actually said that to HIM during the production of TFC!
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

danielcaux wrote::lol: I wonder what would have been Waters reaction had Gilmour actually said that to HIM during the production of TFC!

I think giving birth to comf numb, and the fights they had regarding that song, left them scarred and unable to work together...for a while.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

mosespa wrote:My comment that it sounded to me like a work in progress had nothing to do with the production, arrangement or composition of the song.

It simply sounds (again, to me,) like a song that he didn't actually finish writing. Never mind how many verses, bridges and choruses it has...the song just feels like it was almost finished...but not quite.
Yeah. There was definitely room for improvement. There's a lot you could do with it. I think the first verse of this song (which Kitkat provided in his initial post) is among Waters greatest lyrics. All the lyrics are good but that first verse is right on target. The song just doesn't live up to it. Which has been said numerous times.
moonrock62
Axe
Axe

Post by moonrock62 »

mosespa wrote:I disagree.

I think "The Gunner's Dream" is.

Just the line "...no one kills the children anymore..." brings me to the edge of weepery.

Yeah-Gunner's Dream it is...though with the Final Cut the whole album and its effectiveness is a sum of all its component songs. The Wall followed by Final Cut were my first introductions to Floyd. Then I had the pleasure of discovering all their previous material. I know a lot of people are a bit scathing of the Final Cut but in my mind it still ranks near the top as one of my favourite Floyd albums.
Camila
Axe
Axe

Post by Camila »

I preffer Hero's return, I found it stronger.
And there is something that I've locked away
A memory that is too painful
To withstand the light of day.
The gunner Memorial House is one of my favorites too.

Why you didn't ask for that song?
Vegetable Layne
Axe
Axe

Post by Vegetable Layne »

I think The Gunner's Dream is the best song, followed by When the Tigers Broke Free, The Final Cut, Not Now John and Hero's Return.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I think WTTBF shouldn't be counted as part of TFC, but that's just me. And to answer the OP, no. :)
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Hudini wrote:I think WTTBF shouldn't be counted as part of TFC, but that's just me.
I second that. Too me WTTBF don't feels like natural part of TFC album. But I like the song very much.

As for the best song on The Final Cut? Probably The Final Cut, folowed by the Gunners Dream.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Come to think of it, it was much more sense to add The Hero's Return (Part 2) in to TFC album than WTTBF.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

My favourite is Two Suns In The Sunset. Despite hardly any of the Pink Floyd band playing on it!
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

It's a complete bore. The title track is my favourite from the album