There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Re: There will be a new album

Post by UsNotThem »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pUPgQuQp7g

So Roger recently played his new song, titled If I Had Been God (Lay Down Jerusalem) at the Russell Tribunal at the European Parliament.

It's a very 'wordy' song, and it's a bit rough, but I bet it'll sound great if it's on his new album! Reminds me a lot of Flickering Flame, so I'm not complaining.

:)
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

UsNotThem wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pUPgQuQp7g

So Roger recently played his new song, titled If I Had Been God (Lay Down Jerusalem) at the Russell Tribunal at the European Parliament.

It's a very 'wordy' song, and it's a bit rough, but I bet it'll sound great if it's on his new album! Reminds me a lot of Flickering Flame, so I'm not complaining.

I really enjoyed that. Not sure about the audience participation toward the end (awkward) but there's a brilliant song in there. Thanks for sharing.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

I quite liked the audience participation, it worked well considering it was a political debate. I can just imagine it being quite a special song to sing along to in concert.

danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Splish splash hallelujah! :lol: [-D-]

Oh Roger! Image How I wish you were still in Pink Floyd so Gilmour could help you restrain your worst ideas, and viceversa.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

danielcaux wrote:Oh Roger! Image How I wish you were still in Pink Floyd so Gilmour could help you restrain your worst ideas, and viceversa.
Is 'Lay Down Jerusalem' a song? :shock:
I only hear "blah blah blah blah" and some guitar strumming.

I think the "splish splash hallelujah" part is catchy,
but does it need so many, many, many minutes to get there?
lurkingfear
Axe
Axe

Post by lurkingfear »

Wolfpack wrote:
danielcaux wrote:Oh Roger! Image How I wish you were still in Pink Floyd so Gilmour could help you restrain your worst ideas, and viceversa.
Is 'Lay Down Jerusalem' a song? :shock:
I only hear "blah blah blah blah" and some guitar strumming.

I think the "splish splash hallelujah" part is catchy,
but does it need so many, many, many minutes to get there?
It's Roger forcing his political grandstanding into his tired G-C-D-G chord progression he ALWAYS uses for an acoustic song. WTF Roger, you've been playing guitar and bass for 50 years, learn a few different chords! Same structure as Mother, Wish You Were Here, Two Suns in the Sunset, Watching TV, and a host of other songs.
the "lyrics" are also painfully shoe-horned into the verse portion, often having too many words for the allotted space. But jeez, way, WAY too long without any changes to keep the listener interested.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

lurkingfear wrote: his tired G-C-D-G chord progression... too many words....way, WAY too long without any changes to keep the listener interested
What did you expect?
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

I agree, too wordy. But, I have to admit it sounds more like Pink Floyd than audio clip #2 from TER.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Sounds like a geriatric Johnny Cash feebly attempting to cover "Pigs on the wing" for 10 minutes.

...but still better than clip 2 from Endless River :lol:
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Sounds like a geriatric Johnny Cash feebly attempting to cover "Pigs on the wing" for 10 minutes.

...but still better than clip 2 from Endless River :lol:

:lol:
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

If he makes an album out of stuff like 'Each Small Candle', 'Leaving Beirut' and 'To Kill A Child', it may even turn out to be good. But I somehow think he will fill it with crap he's been playing recently.

I honestly can't discern any of the songs he made in the last ten years. It may have something to do with the fact I never wanted to hear any of them for the second time.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Absolutely. Each small candle and Flickering Flame are the best songs he has written in the last 30 years. They both deserve to be on a proper studio album. Come on Roger! You can do it! You just need a good artistic partner to help you edit your stuff!

On a sidenote, that sure must have been an awkward moment for the people at the EU parliment or whatever is called. To listen to a 71 year old man singing a boring song for over 10 minutes... i think i even heard some laughs in the audience at some point? Maybe during the 18th verse?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

danielcaux wrote:i think i even heard some laughs in the audience at some point? Maybe during the 18th verse?
I never made it that far.
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

Hehe. This thread has its moments.

I have always been a Waters-fan, but I do agree his political stuff has gone to far. That is also what ruined the whole The Wall-experience for me, to much fn politics that had nothing to do with the original concept. Just take a breath, Roger.

And yeah, that new song was eh...well...i dunno.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

I think the fact that he's just playing it himself on just an acoustic guitar doesn't put a good light on the song.

If you listen to this version of it that was taken during a soundcheck in Istanbul last year, with added electric guitar. It sounds quite good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw2rUTITZMU