There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Re: There will be a new album

Post by raisemyrent »

Oh my. Flathead are you for real? That new clip is soooo tired sounding. I got bored by the second chord. The clean piano, drums, and speaking combo again. Yaaaawwnn if you put a gun to my head, I couldn't describe it any better than that. The pitch for it would have fewer words. If you tried to release it as an Indy record, the press would charge you extra.. That's the kind of music that would get you to sing to yourself at an open mic night.
Based on the title and the 2 snippets, I expect amused to death 2.0, which is more like the wall x.0... and I think it's going to be political as hell
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Tonally, it sounds nothing like Amused to Death, which was "clangy".

The subtlety in tone on the synth, drums, and piano has not been heard on a Pink Floyd related album since The Wall. The clip is really something special.
Es Vedra
Axe
Axe

Post by Es Vedra »

I like the clip, but it sounded like it took Five Years for Roger Waters to write it.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

raisemyrent wrote:Oh my. Flathead are you for real? That new clip is soooo tired sounding. I got bored by the second chord. The clean piano, drums, and speaking combo again. Yaaaawwnn if you put a gun to my head, I couldn't describe it any better than that. The pitch for it would have fewer words. If you tried to release it as an Indy record, the press would charge you extra.. That's the kind of music that would get you to sing to yourself at an open mic night.
Based on the title and the 2 snippets, I expect amused to death 2.0, which is more like the wall x.0... and I think it's going to be political as hell
No he's not for real. It's all part of his pathetic trolling attempt where he berates anything done by Gilmour and pulls his little maggot to anything Roger releases, even if it's a 20 second video of him rehashing Have A Cigar

It genuinely reminds me of TER, the "subtlety of tone" nonsense is just that, nonsense. Even if you were for real Fathead, it would simply mean your tone deaf and pretentious instead of a troll. Either way your words aren't worth much :lol:
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I am excited for the release of this album posted with genuine intent with little to no emphasis open to sarcasm interpretation.
And even then I have to write another sentence saying no, I really am excited for Roger's new one.

One final thought, I'm more likely to say Hendrix instead of Jimi Hendrix, Paul McCartney rather than Sir Paul McCartney, but I will always say Roger instead of Waters/Roger Waters!
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

I'm still looking forward to it. But there's absoluely nothing in the tiny snippets to give any indication of how good of bad this might be
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

The snippets are a great portal into the tone/engeineering of the album.

So far, it's a treat compared to the overly glossy, chemical sheen of Gilmour's solo work, TDB, and The Endless River. It just *sounds* better.

The songs may suck, however.

Also just heard there are NO GUITAR SOLOS, which is perfect. Nigel instead focuses on tone and feel, which is why the audio aspect of this is going to be the best Floyd-related work since The Wall. I mean, just listen to those Prophet 5 synth notes alongside the piano. Just oozing warmth and resonating tone. Hello "One of my Turns"? Just so cool to hear that again.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Flathead wrote:Nigel instead focuses on tone and feel, which is why the audio aspect of this is going to be the best Floyd-related work since The Wall.
Is "tone and feel" really so important?

To give just an example, Leadbelly has recorded great music on ancient equipment.
Does it make those performances sound bad?

LeadBelly - Midnight Special
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu7gafphe9M

Up to the 1960s, many hit recordings were made to sound good on AM radio, the car radio.
Mono and in low fidelity.

And, as far as I know, any good sound engineer will still check how recordings sound on AM radio.
(Also to check if the stereo fields won't have unexpected phasing in mono.)

Don't let audio quality fool you!
Waters, Gilmour and Wright should still sound great with cheap instruments, like any good musician.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

that's a great song, but a terrible recording.

audio quality matters.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Flathead wrote:audio quality matters.
Audio quality matters, but I think you're taking its importance to some next level.
I'd say that if a performance sounds bad on AM radio, it's just a bad performance.

Who cares if Wright performed on whatever all-in-one keyboard (which still sounds much better than many other keyboard)?
He should sound great on almost any keyboard, unless it's out of tune.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Exactly. Like Bowie I think once told Gilmour, if it sounds good on piano/guitar, it sounds good on anything (wrt to starting with the basics and adding the production later). Waters has all the soundscapes and he can "set up" a pink Floyd sounding track, and that's about it (amused to death, it's a miracle, ballad of bill, etc).. If you give him just a guitar, he sounds like a mental on the tube.
Just heard the synth bass drones there; they're so prominent, I'd missed them the first few times (and I play synth!).
No guitar solos eh? Assuming I keyboard solos? Cue endless mouthing off, some screaming, and just cool soundscapes and repetitive riffs oozing with session musician frustration. Maybe no solos is a good idea; Clapton and Beck couldn't save a Roger waters solo album so why bother again.

Ps checked out tickets for the tour night in my city; not only are quite a few still available, but they've missed the mark with the pricing. I've seen Roger 3 times and having seen Gilmour a compensating ~10 times since (including the last night at the RAH; hey, now or never), I don't think I'll be bothering.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

raisemyrent wrote:Like Bowie I think once told Gilmour, if it sounds good on piano/guitar, it sounds good on anything (wrt to starting with the basics and adding the production later).
Then why didn't Gilmour listen to that wise advice? :P

I think both Gilmour and Waters are hiding behind sound quality.
For me, 'The Division Bell' (1994) and 'The Endless River' (2014) are more about production than about music.
I'd say 'Wearing the Inside Out' (by Gilmour Floyd) is almost like a Waters parody, when it comes to being boring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B201O63uqhk

Dull vocal line, hidden behind arrangements and sound quality.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Slightly OFF TOPIC -

I always thought the Richard Wright track 'Wearing the Inside Out' was a parody of, and about, Roger in the same way that John Lennon in response to the words and images on RAM apparently penned the 'How Do You Sleep' track about Paul McCartney
From morning to night I stayed out of sight
Didn't recognise I'd become
No more than alive I'd barely survive
In a word ... overrun

Won't hear a sound
From my mouth
I've spent too long
On the inside out
My skin is cold
To the human touch
This bleeding heart's
Not beating much

I murmured a vow of silence and now
I don't even hear when I think aloud
Extinguished by light I turn on the night
Wear its darkness with an empty smile

I'm creeping back to life
My nervous system all awry
I'm wearing the inside out

Look at him now
He's paler somehow
But he's coming round
He's starting to choke
It's been so long since he spoke
Well he can have the words right from my mouth

And with these words I can see
Clear through the clouds that covered me
Just give it time then speak my name
Now we can hear ourselves again

I'm holding out
For the day
When all the clouds
Have blown away
I'm with you now
Can speak your name
Now we can hear
Ourselves again
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

As I wrote in another discussion, John Lennon has made a Dylan parody in which the words are more important than the music. (Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:31 am)

John Lennon - News of the Day (Parody of Bob Dylan)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgDtHlD4KP8
1970s.

He just seems to be reading the newspaper while playing guitar. :lol:
Just overdub some explosions and television sounds, and it sounds much like a Waters parody. :P
And just add some Gilmour guitar and some Wright keyboards to make it a perfect track for the Waters Floyd album 'Animals'. \:D/

Parts like these always get me smiling:
2:40 "I'm so cynical, I just can keep on doing this forever"
3:46 "And, and, oh, oh, oh, how do you get out of this hell, I'm stuck inside of a lexicon..."

And really, I once had some people respectfully believing it was Dylan himself: "Ah, yeah! Dylan!" :lol:
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

After hearing Freewheelin', The Beatles—and especially John Lennon—were inspired to write more mature, narrative-driven folk songs in the manner of their new hero.
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... ip/262680/