There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: There will be a new album

Post by danielcaux »

Morty wrote:I have always been a Waters-fan, but I do agree his political stuff has gone to far. Just take a breath, Roger.
In these days I don't know what to sing
The more I know the less my tune can swing

That's something Joe Strummer realized in the early 80s, but sadly it appears that Waters hasn't been able to grasp that notion during the last 30 years. Too bad because as Strummer proved, you can be political and still manage to make the songs memorable and catchy. It just takes more effort and dedication, you have to find an economical way to say all the things you have to say, not just pour every thought that crosses your mind into the page. Ever since The Final Cut Roger has become lazy in that department, he just talks and talks and talks, adding pile over pile of information, with no filter at all, and that doesn't serve the song. He should have looked back at songs like Brain Damage and Us And Them, where he was already being political but without compromising the poetic/metric element of the lyrics.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Roger, come on, put out an album already, jeez. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I wouldn't put it past Roger to release it before David's to spite him! :lol:
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

To be honest, I don't think we'll ever see it.

It's been 23 years, and he's been talking about making an album for the past 15 years and still nothing but a few random songs every few years.

Although, it does seem as though videos of him performing If I Had Been God have been taken down off YouTube because of copyright. Could this mean he's actually going to finally release the album. I doubt it...
Painmaster
Blade
Blade

Post by Painmaster »

painmaster says: It would be interesting to see just what a new album would be like.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

crystal clear is a nice song. maybe it will be on a new album
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

didn't he say it was going to be about love?

perhaps he has a few songs here and there (each smal, candle, flickering flame, to kill the child, etc), but they don't have a crazy underlying concept, and now he;s kind of the concept album guy? just a thought.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

raisemyrent wrote:didn't he say it was going to be about love?

perhaps he has a few songs here and there (each smal, candle, flickering flame, to kill the child, etc), but they don't have a crazy underlying concept, and now he;s kind of the concept album guy? just a thought.
Surely he could rewrite the lyrics to fit a concept if he wanted to.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Well, he pulled out ATD without a clear underlying story and a few pretty different themes on it but it still feels like a concept album, so I don't think those would be a problem. Even 'The Wall' has some pretty diverse lyrical content.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

2016!!!
Roger Waters is aiming to release his fourth solo record some time next year, followed by an arena tour.

The Pink Floyd man told Digital Spy that he is "in the middle of making it now" and that it's a concept album.

He went on to explain the story, which involves a granddad and his grandchild searching for certain answers. "Why are we killing the children? That's what it's about," he confirmed to Digital Spy.

He also revealed that some of the songs are brand new, while others are from as far back as 15 years ago, and that he will likely tour the album: "I'm toying with the idea of trying to make this thing into an arena show."

Last month Waters spoke out about the American elections, expressing his support for Bernie Sanders, whilst admitting he fears the actions of fellow democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton.

Waters is known for being an outspoken political activist, particularly when it comes to his support of Palestine (he slammed Bon Jovi for their appearance in Tel Aviv), as well as in his backing of American whistleblower Chelsea Manning.

On November 20 Waters will release a live album from his time spent touring Pink Floyd's 'The Wall' as a solo artist and he also revealed to NME that he's working on a stage version of the record with one of the writers behind the film Billy Elliot.

"We've done workshops with it as a theatrical piece, and I suspect we'll see it sooner rather than later," Waters said. "I've been working with Lee Hall, who did Billy Elliot, writers and producers, and I think that team will put it on the stage first in London, then New York and then maybe it'll tour. People have been reduced to both laughter and tears in the workshops, which is a great sign."
http://www.nme.com/news/roger-waters/89 ... ETDmZyL.99

So we've got a time frame. Some songs are 15 years old, some are brand new. But it adds up to a new Roger Waters studio album, so that's OK in my book!
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:
The Pink Floyd man told Digital Spy that he is "in the middle of making it now" and that it's a concept album.
He's been saying that for at least ten years now. Until I see an official announcement I'll keep my pants on.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

It must be a very big middle.
bonjanee
Axe
Axe

Post by bonjanee »

I'm really looking forward to the album. The occasional songs here are there that he has been releasing have been Roger-lite. With the exception of Flickering Flame and Each Small Candle I dont think they amount to much. However, this is a man who makes albums, not songs. I look forward to whatever grand vision he comes up with - its guaranteed to be a journey at least.

HOWEVER - if that Irish accent he did in the recent BBC interview features on it, I'm out. Can someone please tell Roger to stop with the stage Paddy accents.... (i know he's done scottish school teachers and groovy picts before, but generally they were there for comic relief....)

'Woi are dey killin de childrun' - stop it Roger... please.... you're killing the adults with that sort of stuff....
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I'm looking forward to it.

Any news?
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I didn't buy it, but I flicked through this month's "Uncut" and there's a long interview with him. I didn't read it in full but it is discussing his plans and ideas beyond The Wall. He's even mentioned the song he played at the Newport Folk Festival.