There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: There will be a new album

Post by kjek1 »

raisemyrent wrote:Cool. I was trying radio KAOS on Apple Music and couldn't believe my ears. I'm sure you love it Flathead but it's rubbish and embarrassing to say the least.

Ps I'm not sure what the "ROCK" comment means. Pink floyd are not a rock band like The Who or Led Zeppelin. That's a defining trait. Some call them progressive. But it's not AC/DC.
as if we needed further proof of his minimal knowledge of music

Did Roger perform Smell the cigars or was it just a chat?
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Kjek, stop trolling and making things personal.

We're just trying to talk music.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Money is in 7s and has a sax solo. I guess that's rock.

Radio KAOS is definitely the worst piece of crap released by any floyd member this side of Zee Identity. It's horrible. Fist clenching cold sweatingly appalling. And he criticised AMLOR lol
Oh man just hit play again. He sounds like a paranoid old man in a mental home with a tin foil hat ranting about radio waves
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

raisemyrent wrote:Money is in 7s and has a sax solo. I guess that's rock.

Radio KAOS is definitely the worst piece of crap released by any floyd member this side of Zee Identity. It's horrible. Fist clenching cold sweatingly appalling. And he criticised AMLOR lol
Oh man just hit play again. He sounds like a paranoid old man in a mental home with a tin foil hat ranting about radio waves
:lol: So I've been right to not bother with it then?
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I hadn't either. I couldn't even get through it. I had to skip forward. Switched to pros and cons and that drove me nuts too. So much screaming. Needed some piano after that.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Hmm. So Amused To Death is so far his best work then. Works for me. That's a good record.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

In my opinion, yes. It comes closes at to a fully balanced work. I still don't listen to it as it sounds too much like the wall for me (possibly my least favourite 70s album). To me there is no point without Gilmour either.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

raisemyrent wrote:In my opinion, yes. It comes closes at to a fully balanced work. I still don't listen to it as it sounds too much like the wall for me (possibly my least favourite 70s album). To me there is no point without Gilmour either.
Just out of curiosity, what similarities between those two albums (other than Roger's dominant vocals) are you talking about?
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

theaussiefloydian wrote:
raisemyrent wrote:Money is in 7s and has a sax solo. I guess that's rock.

:lol: So I've been right to not bother with it then?
Have a listen to it on either Spotify or YouTube. It's... I can see why some would hate it. But I get these strange desires now and again to listen to it.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Amused to death is easily his best solo effort. Though he's absolutely delusional when he says it's on a par with Wish You Were Here
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Have a listen to it on either Spotify or YouTube. It's... I can see why some would hate it. But I get these strange desires now and again to listen to it.
All right, I'll have to give it a go at some point. But judging from the comments here, it would seem I have to set the bar a bit low before I attempt it. The only one I've gotten through to the end it ATD, but that one was quite stellar. I can easily imagine an alternate universe where Waters brought ATD to Pink Floyd and they recorded it together. That would have been a hell of a record.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

mastaflatch wrote:
raisemyrent wrote:In my opinion, yes. It comes closes at to a fully balanced work. I still don't listen to it as it sounds too much like the wall for me (possibly my least favourite 70s album). To me there is no point without Gilmour either.
Just out of curiosity, what similarities between those two albums (other than Roger's dominant vocals) are you talking about?
Seriously? It's the wall out takes almost. Same chords many times, same style of singing, all Vera nobody home and mother style of melodies, it's a long list. Even the bits of ça Ira that I've heard sounded the same too
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Instant purchase for me. I have listened to the first "single" twice, but don't really have an opinion really. I need to hear it in context of the whole album...actually, I don't mind some of the retro feel to the song. 25 years? Sheesh. ](*,)
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

raisemyrent wrote:
Seriously? It's the wall out takes almost. Same chords many times, same style of singing, all Vera nobody home and mother style of melodies, it's a long list. Even the bits of ça Ira that I've heard sounded the same too
Lol, alright but I'm not convinced. As far as the diversity of chords goes, I think that they both have their "plain" moments and rich ones. When Waters writes folky songs, he usually uses the same 3 or 4 chords on any album he's been on so that doesn't make ATD "The Wall Outtakes Almost". There are several bits on ATD that escape the triviality of the G-C-D routine. The chorus to What God Wants, Perfect Sense, Late Home Tonight, WGW3 (that expands on WGW1's chorus) and Three Wishes. There's some beautiful craftsmanship behind those songs and to me they sound very different from anything off The Wall. His voice on ATD is also (imo) light years away from The Wall - it deteriorated in a much dramatic way between 1984 and 1990 than it did since then. Can't tell about the Ça Ira comparison though since I've never had the patience to listen to the whole thing once but the bits I've heard are undeniably wearing his (rubber) stamp.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Because we all know "diversity of chords" is what makes a great song.

Are you a Dream Theater fan? plenty of chord diversity, and plenty of poop.