There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: There will be a new album

Post by kjek1 »

It's nice to be able to mix it up though, something which seemingly won't happen on the new album.

I feel like I've already heard, I know what the melodies will be like, I know the political rhetoric, so I'm almost there already
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Flathead wrote:Because we all know "diversity of chords" is what makes a great song.

Are you a Dream Theater fan? plenty of chord diversity, and plenty of poop.
Haha, no. Don't need to go to an opposite extreme to reinforce your weak point. Just don't do the same chords a few times, then release an album with the outtakes, then another one, and another one, then (from what we've heard so far) another one 25 years later.

Mastaflatch I can't be bothered to listen to amused to death really, but let's just say Amused to death is more like the wall or final cut than any other pink Floyd album. Is that fair to say?
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Fair enough :D
It's somewhat logical that Waters solo albums will be more akin to the PF records that were dominated by himself.
I love the guy but my favorite PF era is still pre-DSOTM. I was glad he acknowledged Set the Controls in his In the Flesh tour but I'm not going to hold my breath for some pastoral and free-form jamming on his new album.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

mastaflatch wrote:F I'm not going to hold my breath for some pastoral and free-form jamming on his new album.
With Nigel, it's going to get trippy. More so than we've heard from Roger since Animals, IMHO ("Dogs" breakdown).
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I love the synth sounds they are using in the new song. Sound a lot like those WTTM synths.

The nay-sayers are trying to reduce "Smells The Roses" to a simple second rate "Have a Cigar" clone, but I actually hear more of an "Any Colour You Like"/"Echoes" jam similarity. There's also a little dose of "Dogs" in the middle, and parts that sound kinda like ABITWP2. Interesting. I actually like how this song is like a potpourri of many different Floyd elements, like an exercise in all things Floyd. Two thumbs up from me! :smt058
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

danielcaux wrote:I love the synth sounds they are using in the new song. Sound a lot like those WTTM synths.

I actually like how this song is like a potpourri of many different Floyd elements
I always wished that Animals, DSOTM and Wish You Were Here would have sounded more like Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and Saucer. Or better yet, if those albums had more of a 1930s feel.

Maybe Waters will go back to the 80s and give us a potpourri of KAOS on his next album. Some synths that sound like Sunset Strip would be cool. Or that KAOS guitar sound! Is Andy Fairweather Low available?
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

danielcaux wrote:I love the synth sounds they are using in the new song. Sound a lot like those WTTM synths.
Yes!

Anyone with a good ear can hear the vintage tone. This is a good sign for what's to come.
The nay-sayers are trying to reduce "Smells The Roses" to a simple second rate "Have a Cigar" clone, but I actually hear more of an "Any Colour You Like"/"Echoes" jam similarity.
Yep. Radiohead and Nigel are enormous fans of "Meddle".

There's also a little dose of "Dogs" in the middle, and parts that sound kinda like ABITWP2. Interesting. I actually like how this song is like a potpourri of many different Floyd elements, like an exercise in all things Floyd. Two thumbs up from me! :smt058

Yeah.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Flathead is working damage control.

Nigel Godrich was the right man for this Waters job. Certainly. Pandering is his specialty.

Still, few people are going to give a shit about something like Moon Shaped Pool in 2037. Not enough hardcore media reinforcement for that one. The general public need to read about how good something supposedly is before they can really get behind it. For example: OK Computer. It had to be forced down our throats. I gagged.

Another example: Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. The production is a sloppy mess and the songs are mostly empty without all the glossy icing and knob tweaking. Sometimes being the exception. It's a great song on it's own.
vizor
Axe
Axe

Post by vizor »

"Waters knew when it was time to stop, when it comes to being original."

I'm bringing the topic over here. I agree that Waters knew when it was time to stop. He knew for quite a while before the Wall came out, maybe during the early production of Animals. Everything that happened throughout the making of those albums and the touring that went with them was calculated stunts on his part. If not also instigating the others to go along with them, even in the most subtlest of ways. No group can go on forever, much longer than a half-dozen successful albums. The record companies know this. What followed after The Wall Tour (and the derivative shit that continues to this day), was him winging what he didn't think about ahead of time. That is the long life he was going to have and what was he going to do with all this time. Hence, arises the self-proclaimed deep thinker that wasn't there pre-DSOTM. When he was mostly silent. Over these decades, he threatens us with the release of new muzac, and that it is seemingly coming out now, with a tour, is mostly a copy of what Daves been doing all along. Cuz Dave was the smart one that knew he could butcher Rogers concept records apart and play choice songs with his own music he has been writing and recording all the time knowing that it wasn't like the music that flowed years before. So what? He wins, we win. And now Roger, who's been pretty lonely and not get much love to spit at, proclaims with deep thoughts, and all that stuff he wrote years ago is still relevant today, only: you have to think about it in another way.

It's too bad, Roger, who had the right idea to stop while he was ahead, couldn't leave in a distinguished manner as Rossini had done at age 29. He stop writing and composing music and Operas at the close of his William Tell Overture. Long life. Watcha gonna do with it ??????
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

So many experts in musician psychology and reading artists minds lately! And they all sound equally butt-hurted! What's going on? Why so much hate and animosity towards Waters? I'm intrigued!

It's so weird! I'm just happy that the band leader and driving creative force behind my favourite 70s band is releasing a new album after 25 years!!! Is it going to be great??? Probably not, but so far sounds promising and better than a lot of stuff that he has released before.

So what's the problem really guys? What did Waters do to you that you just just can't stand him at all?
vizor
Axe
Axe

Post by vizor »

He fucked his bandmates. It wastes the time of the people who like the music. Long stretch between 1980 and 2005. Like, their prime years.

Also, I am not an expert, or a pyshcologist. I'm just a consumer of the music. And either it's good music, or not worth my time. If I dont like it, others likely wont as well.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Waters is done. His new stuff is embarrassing really. Going through the motions crap. Just an outlet to cram some words in there. Not unlike anything else he's done since like 1977. (I tried to liste to amused to death and the title track chorus is a DISASTER of random screaming and no point to anything)
He's been musically exhausted for a really long time and he only had a bit to give to begin with. He had some cool concepts that, with help, they all crafted into big albums. Now he's just constantly ranting. Musically, there simply isn't anything there. He's been done since 1979. Gilmour has been done with PF since 1994 for instance. He's got 1-2 good songs (near the end and in Any tongue) in his solo albums that would've come close for earning their spot on a Pink Floyd release. Same as Breakthrough. Otherwise, not much left. I'm glad for he endless river and I love it but it's from 1994.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

I don't think anyone dislikes Waters, it's just a retaliation to the criticism Gilmour gets and the HUGE hypocrisy now being shown by those who dish it out now that's it's confirmed the "creative genius" is merely re-releasing old tracks under different names

"Yeah but listen to the sound, oh my god Neil you're a genius". Ehh bog standard sound aside, listen to the actual song. It's been done, and it's been done better with some soaring Roy Harper vocals, a soaring Gilmour solo and beter lyrics in the form of a commentary on working within the music industry.

I don't give a shit if it's the first thing he's released in 100 years, it is what it is, and on a forum where Gilmour gets all sorts of snide treatment for TEL (something that has never been dressed up as anything other than DB leftovers, something I'm betting he had to be pushed into releasing) and his solo albums, you can bet your arse I'm going to shine a light on Roger's lack of originality
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

kjek1
I agree with you on the seemingly pointless Gilmour bashing. TDB is in my opinion quite underrated. No, it doesn't hit the intellectual heights of previous Floyd albums, but I didn't really think it had to. They were simply making music, and enjoying the process. In the terms of TER, I don't think he and Mason were pushed to release it per se, but you're right that it's just outtakes from TDB. They never said it was anything else. Ever. And it's actually nice music too, really.
I love Gilmour's solo work. It's a lot less heavy than Waters', which makes it easier for me to slide into it. On An Island is a work that is, whilst probably going to be referred to by the trigger police as simple and predictable, beautiful. It evokes a lot of emotion for me, and if that makes me stupid or something, I'll take it. Of all of the solo albums there were by the Floyd, OAI is my favourite.
With all that being said, you're totally right about this song being done before. It's not just a clone of 'Have A Cigar', as I'm hearing bits of Animals and The Wall in it, but it is a rehash of old Floydian motifs. And I think Godrich knew that's how it was going to go, honestly. Waters has been hailed as a creative genius, but I've never really seen him that way. Half of his Floyd stuff was about the death of his father (yawn...), The Wall was interesting yet musically vague, and his only actually good solo album so far is Amused To Death. However, I'm glad Godrich told Waters to focus on music. Yes, it means that this album is going to be full of stuff that sounds like stuff we've heard before, but at least it will be listenable.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

I do think Rog is/was a lyrical genius. But musically he's never been all that as his post Floyd attempts prove.

I love both those guys, but I'm definitely not much of a fan of the lack of respect for Gilmour at times so naturally I'll draw attention to the fact Rog is fairly average when he's out there on his own. He's a capable songwriter and can produce good tunes but he's a million miles away from the quality of the Floyd, which is odd because he's got a cult following that would have you believe he was the main tunesmith within the Floyd and the rest just hung around for minor contributions.