There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: There will be a new album

Post by danielcaux »

Some people enjoy more Gilmour's music. Some people enjoy more Waters'. Some other enjoy both. And there's also those who enjoy neither. There's no right or wrong stance, it's a matter of personal musical taste. Is that too hard to accept?

I for one, although I love the song "On An Island" and actually like the RTL title track a bit, I really can't stand the rest of the OAI or RTL albums, completely bland boring crap if you ask me. I also actually quite like AMLoR a lot more than The Division Bell, and Radio KAOS a lot more than Pros and Cons too, although I completely hate "The Powers That Be". It's my personal taste just plain wrong? I'm a total loser or just plain crazy? It's my point of view the only valid one? Well, no and no. It's all subjective. Let people enjoy what they like to enjoy and don't suffer for it. Your opinion isn't going to make them change their taste.

And for fuck's sake, we are no longer living in the 90s!! Get over this stupid "Gilmour vs. Waters" mentality.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

danielcaux wrote:
And for fuck's sake, we are no longer living in the 90s!! Get over this stupid "Gilmour vs. Waters" mentality.
Especially as Waters and Gilmour are on speaking terms these days. The war is over! We lost by not getting a reunited 4 piece album.
So just enjoy to the best you can of what we get. (not directed at you DC!
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

kjek1 wrote:I do think Rog is/was a lyrical genius. But musically he's never been all that as his post Floyd attempts prove.

I love both those guys, but I'm definitely not much of a fan of the lack of respect for Gilmour at times so naturally I'll draw attention to the fact Rog is fairly average when he's out there on his own. He's a capable songwriter and can produce good tunes but he's a million miles away from the quality of the Floyd, which is odd because he's got a cult following that would have you believe he was the main tunesmith within the Floyd and the rest just hung around for minor contributions.
Amen to that.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

kjek1 wrote:He's a capable songwriter and can produce good tunes but he's a million miles away from the quality of the Floyd, which is odd because he's got a cult following that would have you believe he was the main tunesmith within the Floyd and the rest just hung around for minor contributions.
While I agree with his output being miles away from his Floyd work, technically he indeed WAS the main tunesmith within the Floyd, at least during the post-DSOTM years. Before, it was all more of a group effort, but during the mid 70s he was the one delivering the songs, even Gilmour and Wright have admitted that. And if you listen to their 70s solo albums, you can see how hard was for them to come up with actual tunes. At least good ones. They were really good at arranging Roger's tunes though, but not so great songwriters themselves on their own. Without them the 70s albums would have totally sucked, for sure, but without Roger those albums wouldn't even exist!

You gotta give credit where credit's due.

Roger was the driving force and pretty much their musical director during those years. The director of the "Pink Floyd Orchestra" if you like. Gilmour and Wright were great musicians sure, but they needed someone like Roger who pushed them to their limits in order to come up with the good stuff. You can even watch him in action on Pompeii, telling Gilmour how he should play the background guitar solo during BD. And I for one I'm really glad they all were able to work together at that time. They gave us marvelous music, that wouldn't be as great if any of them hadn't been part of those albums.

But that was the past, and this is now. I'm open to listen to anything they can give us before they die. And if it's in harmony with my musical tastes, I will enjoy what I can enjoy, and if not, then I will just let others enjoy it. Simple as that. There's no need to ruin someone else's party in order to be able to feel happy with oneself when you are not having one.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Technically he wasn't. Don't confuse writing the lyrics with writing the music.

The band's most popular numbers are Gilmour and Wright heavy songs. Sure he was the band's driving force, no doubt about it, the lyrics man? Of course.

Tunesmith? Not for me personally, as Roger began to dominate the quality of music took a very noticeable decline, regressing with each album until TFC.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

danielcaux wrote: While I agree with his output being miles away from his Floyd work, technically he indeed WAS the main tunesmith within the Floyd, at least during the post-DSOTM years.
Yep. People don't realize he came up with most of the verses and chorus's.

Gilmour and Wright were the sugar "filling".
Before, it was all more of a group effort, but during the mid 70s he was the one delivering the songs, even Gilmour and Wright have admitted that.
Yes they have.
And if you listen to their 70s solo albums, you can see how hard was for them to come up with actual tunes. At least good ones.
Yes, absolutely. Rick and David's 70's solo album are freaking terrible.

Roger was the driving force and pretty much their musical director during those years. The director of the "Pink Floyd Orchestra" if you like. Gilmour and Wright were great musicians sure, but they needed someone like Roger who pushed them to their limits in order to come up with the good stuff. You can even watch him in action on Pompeii, telling Gilmour how he should play the background guitar solo during BD.

Yep. 100% spot on. "Not quite so toppy. Dave".

David and Rick were the beauty and elegance. Roger was the hammer and the fire. Together, they were the greatest artistic collaboration the world hass ever known.

They had many, many dogshit bands trying to be them (Yes, Dream theater, Genesis, etc etc).
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

theaussiefloydian wrote:TDB is in my opinion quite underrated. No, it doesn't hit the intellectual heights of previous Floyd albums, but I didn't really think it had to. They were simply making music, and enjoying the process.
It's a good album, IMHO. On par with ATD.
Waters has been hailed as a creative genius, but I've never really seen him that way.
This is an absurd statement. He founded the band, single-handedly developed the concepts, wrote all of the lyrics, Sung 50% of the songs, was the frontman, did the album art, wrote most of the music, and was the chief architect of the elaborate and pioneering live shows. Gilmour and Right are on record saying they "couldn't be bothered".

All you have to do is listen to The Wall demos to understand that Waters was the genius madman of this band. Without him, Gilmour and Rick are on "Coke Island" noodling away. Or how David wanted the Animal's songs on WYWH, and for Shine On to be one long song, etc. Roger had the vision.

If you look at Rate Your Music.com (the definitive music snob site) the Floyd have no peer in the top 100 all time, with five albums.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Fathead agreeing with every pro Waters argument then blowing his top at the one part that wasn't a glowing compliment :lol:

Still pedalling the myth that Roger wrote all the music and designed the album art too. A real life Walter Mitty, and to think this troll Joker's the one that goes crying to admin with a petted lip. :lol:
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Their best album cover was conceived by Waters.

And probably their best album IMHO next to Meddle
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Gee whiz. All that magic that magically disappeared once he was left on his own. How did we all agree amused to death is a good album? Seems to be the descalartion point that we all agree on. I don't. It's pointless. It sounds like the wall. Some of it is just a soundscape (bill Hubbard), some of it is a tease at best (Jeff beck solo on three wishes, ending of it's a miracle), some of it has good bits interspersed with rubbish (title track), and the rest I can't even remember. That's not a good album. It's the least bad album. There's a huge difference there. It is nowhere close to anything by pink Floyd save the final turd. I'd listen to on an island and rattle that lock on a loop over amused to death every day of the week. It's mellow, but it's different and well crafted. It's not trying super hard. And it's not pink Floyd and it's not trying to be.

So the pig is better than the prism? That's from some online rating website I presume.

Ps as I've sustained before, Waters had some genius lyrics in the 70s. Then the label drove him to write such things as "alien antrhopologist" and think it's brilliant.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

raisemyrent wrote:Gee whiz. All that magic that magically disappeared once he was left on his own. How did we all agree amused to death is a good album? Seems to be the descalartion point that we all agree on. I don't. It's pointless. It sounds like the wall. Some of it is just a soundscape (bill Hubbard), some of it is a tease at best (Jeff beck solo on three wishes, ending of it's a miracle), some of it has good bits interspersed with rubbish (title track), and the rest I can't even remember. That's not a good album. It's the least bad album. There's a huge difference there. It is nowhere close to anything by pink Floyd save the final turd. I'd listen to on an island and rattle that lock on a loop over amused to death every day of the week. It's mellow, but it's different and well crafted. It's not trying super hard. And it's not pink Floyd and it's not trying to be.

So the pig is better than the prism? That's from some online rating website I presume.

Ps as I've sustained before, Waters had some genius lyrics in the 70s. Then the label drove him to write such things as "alien antrhopologist" and think it's brilliant.
He's talking about the pig? I just assumed he was talking about dark side. Who in the right mind thinks Animals is the best album art?

Either way he's talking through the hole his arse again. Gilmour and Wright were the musical heart beat of Pink Floyd. Don't get me wrong Waters wrote some decent ditties, the wall's choc full of them, but that's all most of them are, decent.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Either way he's talking through the hole his arse again.
Is there a reason why you can't make a post without a personal attack? We're trying to discuss music here.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

That's like me asking you why you can't just be straight about your agenda instead of hiding behind backhanded remarks in a troll like fashion.

I'm discussing music, I suggest you take your own advice Forrest
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

kjek1 wrote:Technically he wasn't. Don't confuse writing the lyrics with writing the music.
I don't. Problem is, you are the one who's actually confusing "songwriting" with just "writing tbe lyrics". Big difference, but it's understandable since it is a common myth, in part created by Gilmour in the 80s, that Roger just "wrote the lyrics". But it's false, he also came with a bunch of chord progressions and melodies ;)
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

danielcaux wrote:
kjek1 wrote:Technically he wasn't. Don't confuse writing the lyrics with writing the music.
I don't. Problem is, you are the one who's actually confusing "songwriting" with just "writing tbe lyrics". Big difference, but it's understandable since it is a common myth, in part created by Gilmour in the 80s, that Roger just "wrote the lyrics". But it's false, he also came with a bunch of chord progressions and melodies ;)
It's not a myth, it's a fact, yeah Roger did come up with many of them. Gilmour and Wright came up with the best ones. I know that's a tough pill to swallow for people who feel an allegiance to Roger but it's better to accept it than to get greedy and try and credit him for things he didn't do.

Wish you were here, comfortably numb, Echoes. Pink Floyd's most popular songs are bulging with Gilmour melody. Roger even closes his shows with one of Dave's songs, though he likes to tell people he wrote it because he slapped some words on it, but that's what ego does.