Mexico 2016

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Mexico 2016

Post by kjek1 »

Yeah it's all there, so fecking read them and stop telling us songs that were co-written are exclusively rogers.

Tw*ts indeed
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

It's not because a guy write a theater piece or produce a movie that he is the best qualified to be a lead actor... especially when he is 73 year old playing a 30 yo guy.

I like Roger but he isn't critical to his own show (compared to yes Gilmour which is mostly the own show)
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

i'd seen roger 3 times before I saw Gilmour for the first time (10 times now). make that before I heard (not even saw) Gilmour soundcheck. When he hit the first note, I forgot about all the 3 roger concerts. who cares. cover band. saw a video of one of these days (copying gilmour??), what a bore. Roger didn't even play bass on the record for that. he overdubbed a sloppy second track on bass; you can hear it if you try (or if you have roger fan ears, forget it). WHAT ON EARTH is the point in watching some hired gun play one of these days on slide?
He played so many songs that just don't work: breathe, one of these days, time, breathe again, great gig (who plays slide, and there is no wright), money, us and them, shine on, welcome to the machine (not his vocals), wish you were here (which is PATHETIC; it's like an underground busker really.. he thinks he's dylan), and comfortably nub kind of works... but it's so unrewarding to see a hired gun play note by note and them be told to end the song. sigh. i got myself worked up there. enjoy it if it works for you, but to me 5AM is wayyyyy more rewarding on the gibson with the incredible, irreplaceable tone that Gilmour has than Roger playing back some 70s albums for me. never mind the whole Pink Floyd post-waters joy that I had when Gilmour plays those songs.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Rogers shows are incredible spectacle and he has a real presence.

But it's all about music, and musically he can't hold a candle to Dave. Funny that Mrs Waters (Flathead) berated 5am, because the single opening note on that generates more feeling and goosebumps than anything Rogers doing on stage with a guitar or vocal.

With Dave you get a full live performance and a masterclass in musicianship, improvisation, jamming and raw emotion. I love the spectacle of Pink Floyd related gigs, but music always takes precedence, and that's where Dave shines.

I'd go and see Rog again but there's no way I'm getting excited for hearing his band play Fearless, breathe, time, us and them, one of these days etc, and especially not after having heard the original play some of these in spectacular fashion over the last year.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

I totally agree with both comment above... I'd rather see only live 5am than whole RW concert where he hit a few bass notes and sing pre-recorded stuff... RW live for me is mostly a cover band, there is nothing unique about it except his political rant which are not necessarily needed.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Speaking of political rants he's just released a video praising Celtic football club fans for their Palestinian fund raiser. If only he knew what else they get up to! Glorifying the IRA and ruining the Memorial Day silence every single year, with Roger being passionate about the war I'm not sure he'd appreciate the behaviour of those cretins
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

We get it, Israel is bad and Palestinians are good...

But what about issue in the world? There are other things happening in the world, like Saudi Arabia executing gay people and treating women like dogs but no words about that.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

it's ridiculous for him to be so politically heavy. who does he think he is? he is a guy who was in a big band in the 70s. he's done nothing of comparable value since. cool shows for a cover band of unknowns (with no disrespect to the individuals).
the rubbish about calling for the president to resign etc, how does he keep a straight face?? of the 200k+ people there, some are bound to be supporters of the president of mexico, where rule of law hasn't been discontinued and there is no impending coup, in addition to the fact that this man is president because he was voted in by a majority. so I wonder how roughly 40-60% of the people felt when he went off on those rants?
but anarchy sells, look at rage against the machine (down with fascism!!!)

in other topics, does anyone know who his band was? is jon carin with them? I shall check out the version of great gig as well; as far as I recall, Roger had done a decent version a few years back, but I think the best was Gilmour's recent one (better than PULSE even).
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Roger has every right to speak his mind onstage, off-stage, in interviews, wherever. Nobody's forced to adopt his worldview. It's called "free speech" in case you didn't get the memo. Decades of him behaviouring like that and you guys still don't get it? As Mark Blake puts it in Pigs Might Fly (about The Final Cut): "[...] however heavy-going (it) sounded like Pink Floyd [in fact, Waters] still gave a shit about something."
You have the right to think whatever of his rants and political opinions but you really are thick if you keep on crying every time he speaks his mind. Also, the argument about how "wrong" he supposedly is on various subjects just comes to show that you should all become professional politicians, this fucked-up world needs your perfect scale of values so bad right now.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

mastaflatch wrote:Roger has every right to speak his mind onstage, off-stage, in interviews, wherever. Nobody's forced to adopt his worldview. It's called "free speech" in case you didn't get the memo. Decades of him behaviouring like that and you guys still don't get it? As Mark Blake puts it in Pigs Might Fly (about The Final Cut): "[...] however heavy-going (it) sounded like Pink Floyd [in fact, Waters] still gave a shit about something."
You have the right to think whatever of his rants and political opinions but you really are thick if you keep on crying every time he speaks his mind. Also, the argument about how "wrong" he supposedly is on various subjects just comes to show that you should all become professional politicians, this fucked-up world needs your perfect scale of values so bad right now.
Agreed. However, when he starts patronising other acts for performing in Israel they should really just tell him to fuck off
vizor
Axe
Axe

Post by vizor »

Rogers behavior is only based on the fact that he cannot produce words and music by himself or with others any longer. He puts on the appearance of being relevant as a mouthpiece of world events, and some eat it up as a part of his genius, and others just want him to shut the fuck up. Sure he has the right, by what is he really covering up? The fact that he cannot produce words and music as he once has had. Everybody has their turn to shine, he had his, but he refuses to let it go by acknowledging that his time is past. The result is a ridiculous appearance, and I just think he is looking for a bullet to run into. Good luck to that.

I like the work he did when it what good. But I do not like the person. Nor would he like me, and I suspect he both cares about what others think, and at the same time, doesn't care what others think.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

it's just ridiculous to go to a rock concert advertising PF's major hits, and be exposed to a SERIOUS request, I mean demand, for the local president to resign, by a foreigner... there's being political, and there's trying too hard, or being plain daft. he's lucky his free concert was still allowed after that crap.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

He can be political all he wants, it's his right, but I just ask for some pragmatism...

He can't be talking about poor Palestinians all the time without caring about other issues, to me Roger represent regressive left to it's best if a Caucasian did it : It's bad... If it's somebody from an other ethnic group doing the same thing: «It's in their culture.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

In other news, Roger has said that his world tour will start at the end of May next year and will go into 2018. It will be an all new show apparently, which could be an indicator that his new album may be released in the coming months!
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

vizor wrote:I just think he is looking for a bullet to run into. Good luck to that.
:shock: