Mexico 2016

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Re: Mexico 2016

Post by raisemyrent »

just bumping my question about who his band is for this tour; any ideas?
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

raisemyrent wrote:just bumping my question about who his band is for this tour; any ideas?
Jon Carin, Harry Waters, Ian Ritchie, Graham Broad, Snowy White, Dave Kilminster, GE Smith, Robbie Wyckoff and Jess Wolfe and Holly Laessig from Lucius.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

To be honest, I miss Andy Fairweather Low in Waters' band. I always envisioned him, Snowy White and Graham Broad as essential members of the band rather than just backing musicians. White was practically the fifth member of Pink Floyd for some time during their "classic" era, Broad has brought a lot of freshness and most of all firmness to both Waters' solo stuff and old material, and Andy is such a unique musical persona with a low key style and onstage presence that can easily be overlooked while you're seeing it but you definitely miss it when it's not there. Most of other musicians that have toured with Waters throughout the years range from show-offs and copycats to invisibles and complete nobodies.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Hudini wrote:To be honest, I miss Andy Fairweather Low in Waters' band. I always envisioned him, Snowy White and Graham Broad as essential members of the band rather than just backing musicians. White was practically the fifth member of Pink Floyd for some time during their "classic" era, Broad has brought a lot of freshness and most of all firmness to both Waters' solo stuff and old material, and Andy is such a unique musical persona with a low key style and onstage presence that can easily be overlooked while you're seeing it but you definitely miss it when it's not there. Most of other musicians that have toured with Waters throughout the years range from show-offs and copycats to invisibles and complete nobodies.
Agreed. On strictly historical points, Snowy White makes sense in Waters' band but I never liked his lead guitar style; not fluid enough, more like a series of hiccups. As far as lead guitarists go, he'd be better off with someone like Clapton or Beck, huge talents that he cannot ask to replicate stuff note-for-note, but I admit it may be too much to ask. How about giving Jimmy Page a day job though? He'd come full circle with the Yardbirds guys :D
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Jimmy Page in a Pink Floyd cover band :lol:
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

who remembers this the only time Snowy did the lead solo on Comfortably Numb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGRiA316Yxw

Brick P2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdC8Tda5Pto

Brain Damage/Eclipse here sounds like a cover band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTj9jL9LK7I
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Follix wrote:Jimmy Page in a Pink Floyd cover band :lol:
Yeah, put this way, that would be quite unlikely but I was thinking more of a Clapton/Beck-like collaboration. Maybe we'll see something of that ilk when Roger releases his next album.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

thanks for the clips; interesting stuff I shall check out. and thanks for the response earlier to my fellow canuck mastaflatch.
who did one of these days? I know Carin does a good job to say the least on slide for Breathe, with whomever he's playing.
I agree that Fairweather-Low was a good bedrock musically. Stage presence was good too, despite being quiet. the suit reminded me of robert fripp. remember the card game? what tour was that?

I haven't dwelled into these recent shows yet to throw out and opinion on the current lineup without him, though. I only heard great gig and well, it was interesting.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

mastaflatch wrote:
Hudini wrote:To be honest, I miss Andy Fairweather Low in Waters' band. I always envisioned him, Snowy White and Graham Broad as essential members of the band rather than just backing musicians. White was practically the fifth member of Pink Floyd for some time during their "classic" era, Broad has brought a lot of freshness and most of all firmness to both Waters' solo stuff and old material, and Andy is such a unique musical persona with a low key style and onstage presence that can easily be overlooked while you're seeing it but you definitely miss it when it's not there. Most of other musicians that have toured with Waters throughout the years range from show-offs and copycats to invisibles and complete nobodies.
Agreed. On strictly historical points, Snowy White makes sense in Waters' band but I never liked his lead guitar style; not fluid enough, more like a series of hiccups. As far as lead guitarists go, he'd be better off with someone like Clapton or Beck, huge talents that he cannot ask to replicate stuff note-for-note, but I admit it may be too much to ask. How about giving Jimmy Page a day job though? He'd come full circle with the Yardbirds guys :D
I don't mind Snowy White but a series of hiccups is a great analogy. Lots of little bursts of hammer ons and pull offs. I've never thought it suited the floyd style too well.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

mastaflatch wrote:
raisemyrent wrote:just bumping my question about who his band is for this tour; any ideas?
Jon Carin, Harry Waters, Ian Ritchie, Graham Broad, Snowy White, Dave Kilminster, GE Smith, Robbie Wyckoff and Jess Wolfe and Holly Laessig from Lucius.
I think Roger needs a new drummer as Graham's style does suit not floyd songs at all

Just seen Run Like Hell from Mexico he is also using the exact same Run Like Hell projections from The Wall tour

RLH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEpLErd ... e=youtu.be
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

mastaflatch wrote:As far as lead guitarists go, he'd be better off with someone like Clapton or Beck, huge talents that he cannot ask to replicate stuff note-for-note, but I admit it may be too much to ask. How about giving Jimmy Page a day job though? He'd come full circle with the Yardbirds guys :D
The main problem with having a backing musician of such caliber is the potential danger of them stealing the show, and I'm afraid Roger is quite aware of that. And what both Clapton and Beck did on respective albums they recorded with Roger is just that - their guitar parts are just as important as anything Roger put into those tracks, or even more. In fact, 'The Ballad Of Bill Hubbard' would have been more righteously billed as Jeff Beck rather than Roger Waters, and his work on some other tracks on ATD might deserve more credit as well. As per Clapton, his superstardom status was only solidified in the late 1980s/early 1990s, but when he was touring with Waters he was more of a washed-up former star than a legend he is today. One might argue that Waters was one of key factors for Clapton's revival, bringing him out of relative obscurity and indirectly getting him to sober up. Waters and Page though... that'll be the day. :D
pinkyblue123
Axe
Axe

Post by pinkyblue123 »

Here's a decent [though not brilliant sound] of the complete concert link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izNq_qlu7QQ
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

azza200 wrote:who remembers this the only time Snowy did the lead solo on Comfortably Numb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGRiA316Yxw
The opening solo is atrocious. He makes no attempt to even try to put any 'soul' into it. To be honest even I could do a damn sight better!
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Is it me or the whole thing is just too fast?
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Heard quite a few walked out of his set after getting fed up with the anti-trump rhetoric

It was probably brave doing that with a crowd that isn't a Roger Waters crowd. The little clip I saw of Pigs sounded excellent, thought I'm highly suspicious of the authenticity of the vocals again