Roger's thougts on the AMLOR and the Division Bell

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Roger's thougts on the AMLOR and the Division Bell

Post by jtull »

From an interview a few years ago:

"I just don't think they understand the songs or what they're about. If you read old interviews, they actually say that. I can remember interviews from Dark Side where Rick was saying, "We really don't care about the lyrics." They remain connected to the numbers, the money, and so that's what you get, that's what you feel through it all. What you don't feel is the connection with the magic, because there isn't any. The working relationship I had with Dave and Nick and even Rick to a certain extent up to and including Dark Side of the Moon was very exciting and interesting and worthwhile, but after that it became very problematic. We'd done everything we had set out to do, and we kind of clung together from that point on in a very uneasy marriage because of the name, because it was easy, and we'd created an enormous audience.

And I have to say Dave did some great work as well after Dark Side. His contributions to those latter records were very important. But he certainly didn't do any work regarding the philosophy or politics or heart or drive behind the records. So when I left, they were put in a situation where no one was providing that, but they carried on doing that, and they did it by employing huge numbers of people to try and replace me.

With all due respect to the people who went out and bought those records, they are just rubbish. Particularly The Division Bell; it's just nonsense from beginning to end. A Momentary Lapse of Reason had a couple of really nice tunes on it that, had I still been in the band, those chord sequences and melodies would have been made it onto a record that I was involved in. But conceptually and lyrically, it's just rubbish, partly because it's not true. It's like, "Let's try and write songs that sound as if they're Pink Floyd and make records that sound like Pink Floyd records."

Well, at least he thinks the AMLOR is somewhat good. :-;
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Re: Roger's thougts on the AMLOR and the Division Bell

Post by FreeFour »

I recall Roger stating AMLoR was "A pretty fair forgery" at the time.

I also read somewhere that he felt the Division Bell was a bit 'Spinal Tap' with his wife writing the lyrics...ouch !
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

FreeFour wrote:I recall Roger stating AMLoR was "A pretty fair forgery" at the time.
I remember him saying it was a 'clever forgery' but I might be wrong. Makes no difference to the point though.

As per TDB, even though I quite like it most of it, I always thought it was deliberately made to "sound like Pink Floyd" and has thus begun the myth of the 'Floydian sound'.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

jtull wrote:From an interview a few years ago:

"I just don't think they understand the songs or what they're about. If you read old interviews, they actually say that. I can remember interviews from Dark Side where Rick was saying, "We really don't care about the lyrics." They remain connected to the numbers, the money, and so that's what you get, that's what you feel through it all. What you don't feel is the connection with the magic, because there isn't any. The working relationship I had with Dave and Nick and even Rick to a certain extent up to and including Dark Side of the Moon was very exciting and interesting and worthwhile, but after that it became very problematic. We'd done everything we had set out to do, and we kind of clung together from that point on in a very uneasy marriage because of the name, because it was easy, and we'd created an enormous audience.

And I have to say Dave did some great work as well after Dark Side. His contributions to those latter records were very important. But he certainly didn't do any work regarding the philosophy or politics or heart or drive behind the records. So when I left, they were put in a situation where no one was providing that, but they carried on doing that, and they did it by employing huge numbers of people to try and replace me.

With all due respect to the people who went out and bought those records, they are just rubbish. Particularly The Division Bell; it's just nonsense from beginning to end. A Momentary Lapse of Reason had a couple of really nice tunes on it that, had I still been in the band, those chord sequences and melodies would have been made it onto a record that I was involved in. But conceptually and lyrically, it's just rubbish, partly because it's not true. It's like, "Let's try and write songs that sound as if they're Pink Floyd and make records that sound like Pink Floyd records."

Well, at least he thinks the AMLOR is somewhat good. :-;
And of course those chord sequences and melodies would have greatly improved an otherwise dull record. :-;

The thing about The Division Bell cuts deep because it contains five co-writes from Rick and because there's quite a few songs that harken back to the very early classic Floyd days. I'm not saying it's necessarily better than AMLOR but if he can't appreciate tracks like Cluster One, WDYWFM, Poles Apart or High Hopes then that sort of makes me think less of him as a musician.

Or...perhaps he felt hurt because of some of the hidden messages against him in songs like WTIO or LFW?
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Hudini wrote:As per TDB, even though I quite like it most of it, I always thought it was deliberately made to "sound like Pink Floyd" and has thus begun the myth of the 'Floydian sound'.
I agree. Before the TDB I can't remember enyone was talking about 'Floydian sound'. Contrary to that, Pink Floyd was considered actually very diverse sounding band. "Piper" did not sound much like "Ummagumma", "More" did not sound much like "Atom Heart Mother", "Animals" did not sound much like "The Final Cut" etc.

The term 'Pink Floyd sound' was born first with the TDB album. It was deliberately made to "sound like Pink Floyd", especially to sound like "Wish You Were Here", Gilmours and Wrights favorite Floyd album.

But I do enjoy to listen the TDB quite often.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Well imo TDB is far better than AMLOR...

AMLOR studio versions are awful compared to the live ones especially ''Sorrow'' and ''The Turning Away''. It's an inconsistent album...

On the other hand, TDB is one of my favorite, it lacks some grit, some bitterness but the music is amazing.
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

jtull wrote:The term 'Pink Floyd sound' was born first with the TDB album. It was deliberately made to "sound like Pink Floyd", especially to sound like "Wish You Were Here", Gilmours and Wrights favorite Floyd album.
To me, the "Pink Floyd sound" was less to do with the actual arrangements and more to do with the general style of songwriting and production. Gilmour and Wright definitely had a particular bag of tricks they used when writing, and there are plenty of chord sequences in their catalog that are distinctly theirs. But then again, I love the sound of WYWH and TDB, so maybe I've been trapped by the myth of the Pink Floyd sound myself.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Which is the REAL "Pink Floyd sound"? :-k

Is it the acid and psychedellic sound of the Piper At The Gates of Dawn? Or it's the experimenal and avantgardist sound of Ummagumma? Or maybe it's classical and orchestral sound of Atom Heart Mother album? Or it's the 'soundtrackish' sound of the albums More, Obscured By Clouds and Zabriskie Point? Or it's angry and Punk-ish sound of Animals? Or the sound of Roger Waters dominated albums The Wall and The Final Cut?

:smt102
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

jtull wrote:Which is the REAL "Pink Floyd sound"? :-k

Is it the acid and psychedellic sound of the Piper At The Gates of Dawn? Or it's the experimenal and avantgardist sound of Ummagumma? Or maybe it's classical and orchestral sound of Atom Heart Mother album? Or it's the 'soundtrackish' sound of the albums More, Obscured By Clouds and Zabriskie Point? Or it's angry and Punk-ish sound of Animals? Or the sound of Roger Waters dominated albums The Wall and The Final Cut?

:smt102
For me the classic 'Floyd Sound' was in the albums from 'Meddle' through to 'Animals' . The Syd era was effectively one album so, as good as that was, it was consigned to history with Syd. It was kind of his gift to us all to talk about for ever more. The period from 'Piper' to 'Meddle' was a time when they were working very hard to establish themselves and find their identity. The 'Sound' actually began to emerge on 'Meddle' and then blew the world away on DSOTM. I would say the 'Sound' was pretty much gone after 'Animals', although you could hear it now and again on 'The Wall'. As much as I like David I don't think the post-Roger albums ever got close, but neither did Roger.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Well to me it's an ethereal keyboard and emotional guitar...

You can hear glimpse in ''Le there be more Light'', ''Saucerful of Secrets'', ''Careful with that Axe'' and '''Echoes'' and DSOTM but ''WYWH'' and ''Animals'' got plenty. It's rare in ''The Wall'', nonexistent in ''The Final Cut'', rare in AMLOR and all over TDB...

But that's just imo I could be wrong but anyway it's what I like about PF music.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

I'm sure he said that in anger at the time. But he's right about some of it, to say it's nonsense isn't
fair, but thematically and lyrically they arent very strong though there are a few exceptions. But yeah they clearly miss Rogers brain, but then I'm sure everyone knew that would be the case.

I think much of the music on the division bell is excellent, but I cringe listening to the lyrics on songs like coming back to life and take it back, i just personally wouldn't want cheesy pop-ish lyrics like that on a Floyd record.

I don't think there's a conscientious effort to make it sound any particular way though, listen to Dave's last two solo albums and you'll hear strong similarities, fact is that's just how he/they sound. One thing Roger clearly did bring to the bands sound is a bit of aggression, it's quite evident listening to the musical differences between dark side to animals, and AMLOR to DB.
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

I'm still just completely irked at the criticism towards the two post-Waters albums (I'm counting TER out here for the moment) for "trying to sound like Pink Floyd". I mean, was it such a shock that Pink Floyd made a Pink Floyd album? Was it a shock that the music that was typically written by Gilmour/Wright in 1994 sounded like the music written by Gilmour/Wright in 1973? Like, what were people expecting? Maybe there was a conscious effort to sound like the old material, but given that the old material was what the fans wanted anyway, wouldn't that be a smart move?

I think the height of Pink Floyd's creative evolution was on The Wall, if we're being honest, and I'm not particularly fond of that album as a whole. But it shouldn't come as a surprise that Roger wouldn't like the Pink Floyd albums that came after, because we've seen his idea of a Pink Floyd album (Animals, The Wall, The Final Cut), and those are worlds different from A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell. I don't think Roger likes a whole lot of anything anyway, liking things isn't really his forte.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Phantom Turnip wrote:I don't think Roger likes a whole lot of anything anyway, liking things isn't really his forte.
I like that comment.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

kjek1 wrote:I'm sure he said that in anger at the time. But he's right about some of it, to say it's nonsense isn't
fair, but thematically and lyrically they arent very strong though there are a few exceptions. But yeah they clearly miss Rogers brain, but then I'm sure everyone knew that would be the case.

I think much of the music on the division bell is excellent, but I cringe listening to the lyrics on songs like coming back to life and take it back, i just personally wouldn't want cheesy pop-ish lyrics like that on a Floyd record.

I don't think there's a conscientious effort to make it sound any particular way though, listen to Dave's last two solo albums and you'll hear strong similarities, fact is that's just how he/they sound. One thing Roger clearly did bring to the bands sound is a bit of aggression, it's quite evident listening to the musical differences between dark side to animals, and AMLOR to DB.
I think I remember you from APFFN \:D/

As for Coming Back to Life and Take It Back, I wonder if you've missed the point... a bit maybe? Both miles away from typical pop fare. Coming Back to Life was about thanking Polly for getting David away from the drugs and Take It Back is about our relationship to the planet we're living on, sadly a topic that's probably even more relevant these days. I guess One Slip is another song in that category - once you start paying attention you know this isn't a standard pop song. And frankly, while I class Roger as the better lyricist, that's one thing I do like about David's lyrics: They can be taken on many different levels (Learning to Fly springs to mind). Roger usually pushes the meaning right into your face and is very direct, whereas David seems more oblique and quite often hides certain messages from direct view.

Not that I'm all that crazy about lyrics, mind you.

As for aggression, I think About Face and parts of AMLOR did sound quite aggressive in places, and Roger could come up with tracks like If or San Tropez :-;
Last edited by DarkSideFreak on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Phantom Turnip wrote:I don't think Roger likes a whole lot of anything anyway, liking things isn't really his forte.
He said he likes a fly fishing very much! 8)