"Is This The Life We Really Want" preorder starts April 21

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Re: "Is This The Life We Really Want" preorder starts April

Post by mastaflatch »

kjek1 wrote:If Waters did something great I'd give him his due, no one is obligated to cream themselves over his solo releases purely because of association with Pink Floyd.
Right. Obviously. Do these people exist in real life though?
kjek1 wrote:It's a decent first track, but pretty uninspiring given the forgery, and turd polishing by banging on about some button pushing producer won't change that. As someone else said, you could mic up Rogers bog when he's having a shite and you'd get glorious praise of the sound etc etc.
Funny images. Skewed metaphor.
kjek1 wrote:I'm more interested in the music and less interested in the glossy finish of the production and the usual political rhetoric
I almost agree! I'd put music first as well but I'm also interested in his lyrics and I don't mind the political themes - I just hope the album has a nice balance between music and lyrics.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

I want to hear his lyrics, but I agree with what someone else said, the current political angle is a bit tired and a way of making himself seem relevant.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Incidentally I'm not sure what was in my edited post that was personal abuse. But I firmly believe if you act like an idiot you ought to be treated like one
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Kjek, can we please stick to music?

Your personal attacks make me not want to post here.

Back to Roger:

The most telling thing for me, that bodes well for the new album, is that insane breakdown on Smell the Roses. I love how the thing just is chaos, and then emerges into a wicked guitar solo.

This is the kind of production that has NOT been on previous floyd-related work since The Wall.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

I'll need to keep doing it then, if it weeds out trolls then fantastic.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

mastaflatch wrote:You keep on churning that ridiculous wanna-be stereotype that all the people who are enthusiastic about the new Waters album are hopelessly gullible fanboys. On and on.

Why do you do that?
Only because you are acting like hopelessly gullible fanboys.

Some of you seem to be here on Roger Waters PR business. The best PR for an artist is their work.

You folks should have resisted all the repackaged tours and oldies and forced Waters to either keep at his craft or sink. Most of us have to keep working because there are not enough gullible fanboys for us to fleece. 15 years of good work is not enough. 25 years of milking the 15 years of good work leaves the one doing the milking in a bad light. Except from the perspective of his gullible fanboys.

It's not as if I'm happy that Smell The Roses is a piece of nostalgic shit.

Flathead wrote: that insane breakdown on Smell the Roses
We have ears. Who are you trying to kid? You wanna talk about music but your knowledge is so limited you think this breakdown is "insane". The breakdown is totally fucking obvious to me.
emerges into a wicked guitar solo.
Wicked guitar solo? On Smell The Roses? It's 2017. Did you miss the last 50 years of lead guitar evolution?
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Careful now, he'll run to admin crying again. You've got to give him credit though he's playing it well.

1. Make a series of backhanded comments about Gilmour
2. Wait for reaction
3. Cry to admin about said reaction and keep it going pushing for a ban

Anyway fingers crossed for this new album. I'm guessing it'll be a half decent listen and one I'll listen to on the odd occasion if I'm bored. That's how I feel it's going based on Smell the cigars
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Really digging the lyrics on STR, too. A welcome relief.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

kjek1 wrote:Careful now, he'll run to admin crying again.
It's nothing personal. Just discussing the product. Trying to understand such rabid enthusiasm for what sounds to me like AMLOR '17.

What did Waters say about AMLOR? A bunch of guys trying to sound like Pink Floyd? I thought that was a fair criticism in 1987. Even more so in 2017.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Except Nigel has a good enough ear to actually pull it off, whereas the producers for AMLOR produced a pile of crap that sounded nothing like Pink Floyd.

"Dogs of War" was a blatant attempt at a Roger Waters song. But it was pathetic and toothless.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

I do enjoy AMLOR, but to call it a great Pink Floyd album is a huge mistake. It is for sure nothing like them, and yes it does try to take bits and pieces of what other people were doing, but given that Pink Floyd was a little lost at the time and that Gilmour was pressured to release it as a Floyd album, I can't really think one should be shocked with what happened there.
All that being said, there is no way that ISTLWRW is going to be 'AMLOR '17'. That's a hugely unfair statement I feel. He's not trying to pass it off as Pink Floyd for a start, and it's actually well produced, unlike AMLOR. Bob Ezrin needs a good slap for 'One Slip' and 'Yet Another Movie'.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

AMLOR is very dated, and it's essentially a Gilmour solo effort. Still I hear a lot more original material on that.

Turd polish away, Smell the roses is Have a cigar and dogs spliced together, stripped off the colourful Gilmour/Wright sound and diluted down for a lazy effort at recreating the "Floyd" sound to appease some more traditional fans.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

theaussiefloydian wrote: All that being said, there is no way that ISTLWRW is going to be 'AMLOR '17'. That's a hugely unfair statement I feel. He's not trying to pass it off as Pink Floyd for a start, and it's actually well produced, unlike AMLOR. Bob Ezrin needs a good slap for 'One Slip' and 'Yet Another Movie'.

Agreed.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote: Turd polish away, Smell the roses is Have a cigar and dogs spliced together, stripped off the colourful Gilmour/Wright sound and diluted down for a lazy effort at recreating the "Floyd" sound to appease some more traditional fans.

You forgot a great Waters bass line in there, too. This is the first "rock" song I've heard from any of the Floyd camp since TFC. It's got fire, and lyrics with fangs. Which is why it's being well-reviewed.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Well reviewed by who? You're the one who's always on that album rating site right?

Have you ever had an original thought or do you just lift opinions and tidbits from elsewhere every time?

It's have a cigar WITHOUT the fangs, somewhat fittingly, it's toothless like a worn out old guy