Syd Barrett movie with Johnny Depp?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
generalhooha
Blade
Blade
Location: Deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves.

Syd Barrett movie with Johnny Depp?

Post by generalhooha »

Depp also mentioned that when growing up, he dreamed of being a rock and roll guitar player and thought that a movie based on the story of Syd Barrett, original frontman for Pink Floyd, would be a great idea. (This writer agrees!)
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=10191

Could somebody elaborate on this?
Jujufloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by Jujufloyd »

Depp wanted to make this movie for 3/4 years now, but after Syd's death, the Barrett family refused Depp to make this movie.
alma
Hammer
Hammer

Post by alma »

I read somewhere that there were plans of making a movie about Pink Floyd and Johnny Depp was supposed to play Syd Barrett. It would be interesting to think about which other actors would be casted ...
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

A film about Syd wouldn't be too bad in my opinion, but i reckon Johnny Depp would be an awful lead for it. Good enough actor, but i reckon his style of acting is far to vain to possibly play Syd.

Maybe i'm just biased though cause i can't stand mr Depp
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

My major concern with this proposed film is the screenwriter and his/her information source(s). If the film ever does come to fruition, I hope it is not a sensationalized bunch of bullshit, making Syd appear to be some psyched out, maniacal nutcase.
Dark_Globe
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Dark_Globe »

If there is ever to be a film made about the syd barrett story, I hope it is a sensitively made independent British-made production. (made without Hollywood interference or actors)
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Agreed 100% Dark Globe. I think a British-made docudrama would be best. BTW welcome to the forum! :D
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

Johnny Depp is kind of old to be playing Syd, don't you think?
narcissus
Axe
Axe

Post by narcissus »

This is fairly old news, and although I think Johnny Depp is great, he is admittedly a bit too old at this point; I mean, when Syd was Depp's current age, he was a vastly different (physically as well as mentally)person. By the way, there have been other names thrown around to play Syd in a film, including Casey Affleck and Adam Brody.
Even more ridiculous are the bits I've read about Ashton Kutcher playing Roger Waters (!) and Leonardo DiCaprio playing David Gilmour (!).
Dark_Globe
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Dark_Globe »

Nice to be here.
And yes Johnny Depp is a bit old to be playing Syd (though he does wear his years very well) but even aside from that he's just not the right man for the job. And dont get me started on his english accent..! (sounds like he learned it from watching Keanu Reeves in 'Dracula')
Dark_Globe
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Dark_Globe »

narcissus wrote:This is fairly old news, and although I think Johnny Depp is great, he is admittedly a bit too old at this point; I mean, when Syd was Depp's current age, he was a vastly different (physically as well as mentally)person. By the way, there have been other names thrown around to play Syd in a film, including Casey Affleck and Adam Brody.
Even more ridiculous are the bits I've read about Ashton Kutcher playing Roger Waters (!) and Leonardo DiCaprio playing David Gilmour (!).
There's no reason that the actor to play Syd should have to be
(a) famous and (b) american.
Gary Oldman was unheard of when he was cast as Sid Vicious.
And having an unknown face in the role would have the advantage of not bringing all the associations of the celeb who may be playing it.
narcissus
Axe
Axe

Post by narcissus »

Dark_Globe wrote:
narcissus wrote:This is fairly old news, and although I think Johnny Depp is great, he is admittedly a bit too old at this point; I mean, when Syd was Depp's current age, he was a vastly different (physically as well as mentally)person. By the way, there have been other names thrown around to play Syd in a film, including Casey Affleck and Adam Brody.
There's no reason that the actor to play Syd should have to be
(a) famous and (b) american.
Gary Oldman was unheard of when he was cast as Sid Vicious.
And having an unknown face in the role would have the advantage of not bringing all the associations of the celeb who may be playing it.
Oh, I agree completely. If a film even "needs" to be made at all. There are so many ways it could end up disastrous and embarassing. :roll:
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

instead of getting Kelso to play roger they should get Stephen Hide
cuz Kelso was always the butt of the jokes when That 70s Gang sat round the basement table,
if he played Roger Roger would be the loser in the group not getting picked up in the van

whereas Hide is the smartass who sets everyone else up as the butt of a cynical joke, his style would do much better justice to Roger
he could even repeat his "theres this car, man, and it runs on water..." routine, or profoundly declare "everything is a scam", and it would fit the character
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

David Smith wrote:Maybe i'm just biased though cause i can't stand mr Depp

IF you see him in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas playing a bald drugged up dude with Avatars and cigarette in a holder THE WHOLE TIME you do grow to like him.
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cymbaline212 »

my breakfast. wrote:
David Smith wrote:Maybe i'm just biased though cause i can't stand mr Depp

IF you see him in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas playing a bald drugged up dude with Avatars and cigarette in a holder THE WHOLE TIME you do grow to like him.
haha, best Depp movie by far!

"Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. A normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow. But he won't know what to make of your blinker signal that says you are about to turn right. This is to let him know you're pulling off for a proper place to talk. It will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180 degree turn at speed, but you will be ready for it. Brace for the g's."

anyway, please don't let this movie be made! it will be terrible. trust me.