Was Syd left-handed?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Yownas
Blade
Blade

Was Syd left-handed?

Post by Yownas »

Browsing through the gallery I found this: http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/galle ... n.jpg.html

To me it looks like it was written by someone who is left-handed. :smt039

Couldn't find any reference that Syd was left-handed, but maybe someone here knows?
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Was Syd left-handed?

Post by Duckboy »

Yownas wrote:Browsing through the gallery I found this: http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/galle ... n.jpg.html

To me it looks like it was written by someone who is left-handed. :smt039

Couldn't find any reference that Syd was left-handed, but maybe someone here knows?
all the footage ive seen he plays guitar right handed
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I know a couple of right handed people whose handwriting leans to the left. I doesn't mean anything.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I play guitar right handed, but I am lefthanded. Try getting somebody to teach you lefty guitar, its impossible.

Syd shows the typical signs of a lefthanded person, artistic and musical tallents, good looks, wit, courage, bravery, good looks...

It really is a gift! :lol:
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

my breakfast. wrote:I play guitar right handed, but I am lefthanded. Try getting somebody to teach you lefty guitar, its impossible.
That's true. I know five or six left handed people that play guitar and only one of them plays it left handed.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

my breakfast. wrote:Syd shows the typical signs of a lefthanded person, artistic and musical tallents, good looks, wit, courage, bravery, good looks...

* David spits out some coffee in shock *

Actually left handed people are still a bit of an unexplained miracle in science (although there are a bunch of theories about the wall they face in the womb, but they still need work) because it should stand to reason that because their hand preferences would deviate from the norm then the brain that controls it should also be atypical. However, this is simply not the case as their speech centres are still located in their left temporal in the vast majority of cases suggesting identical brain development to right handers who unexplainably make up 90% of the population
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I enjoy being left handed!!!! Yeah! We die younger! We show symptoms of dyslexia! Yeah!
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

David Smith wrote:
my breakfast. wrote:Syd shows the typical signs of a lefthanded person, artistic and musical tallents, good looks, wit, courage, bravery, good looks...

* David spits out some coffee in shock *

Actually left handed people are still a bit of an unexplained miracle in science (although there are a bunch of theories about the wall they face in the womb, but they still need work) because it should stand to reason that because their hand preferences would deviate from the norm then the brain that controls it should also be atypical. However, this is simply not the case as their speech centres are still located in their left temporal in the vast majority of cases suggesting identical brain development to right handers who unexplainably make up 90% of the population
i think that right handedness is the dominant gene so maybe another 15 percentjust learn to be right handed by copying others when they are just learning coordination im not sure

but yeah most lefties i know play guitar right handed
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

I was born left handed and my mother taught me to use my right hand. I still do alot of stuff better with my left hand, however, like dribble a basketball. :?
Henrythe8thIam
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Henrythe8thIam »

Don't like your avatar, My Breakfast! [-X Remember I behead people.

As for Syd being a leftie? Never heard or read that. He could of course have been ambidextrous, but unlikely, it is extremely rare. Kurt Cobain supposedly was. Would have heard if Syd was left handed, me thinks.
sashwap
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sashwap »

my breakfast. wrote:We die younger!
that's a misinterpretation, actually. it's just that as you study older and older segments of the population, the number of left-handed people decreases. it's most likely a result of the outdated practice of forcing left-handed children to use their right hand.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

Syd Barrett, almost definetely, IS NOT left handed i dont remember wat thread it was but it was one with rare syd/floyd photos that Keith posted. Syd was sitting down on a bench or something with a book and pen in right hand. The image wasnt reversed as the margin is to the left
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I would suggest he was right handed.....

Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I write right-handed but open jars etc left-handed and my natural instinct was to pick up a guitar and hold it left-handed, even though I own right-handed guitars (which may account for my lack of ability). I play sports right-handed although I hold a rifle or archery bow left-handed whilst I would shoot a pistol right-handed. I'm also left-footed. This has nothing to do with Syd but I thought I'd mention it.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am right handed but would hold a archery bow with my left hand, and my rifle with my left also! But write with my right!