Really Lovin' Syd's Music

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
OneEyeMan
Embryo
Embryo

Really Lovin' Syd's Music

Post by OneEyeMan »

Since I "discovered" Syd Barrett about 2 weeks ago, I've been listening pretty exclusively to his music; Madcap Laughs, Barrett, Opel, The Peel Sessions, and Piper at the Gates of Dawn. I'll be honest, a lot of it I didn't like/get at first. But now, there's something I love about virtually every one of his songs, even Maisie! You could say his music grew on me. I grew up loving Pink Floyd, but only the stuff from Dark Side on. Discovering Syd's music now makes me think I've been listening to the wrong Pink Floyd all along.
Don't get me wrong, I still think Animals and The Wall are 2 of the finest albums ever made, but Syd's music really speaks to me in a totally different way!
Are there any other artists you all could recommend that sound similar to Syd?
Would've loved to have met him back then. He was such a beautiful fragile person.
Thanks for bearing with me.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Really Lovin' Syd's Music

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

There's a long list of artists who say they were influenced by Syd. But only Syd really sounds like Syd if you get me?
If Pink Floyd were starting out now, I think he would have been dropped by label after leaving band.
It was a different time never to return. Just be thankful you have stuff like Barrett and Opel etc.
There are also contemporise of Syd like Kevin Ayers who always get mentioned who I like but isn't Syd.
And Robyn Hitchcock who I can't get into as I hate his sound, and can't understand why Robyn is always mentioned.
If you like stripped down to acoustics, then I may as well the music I create on my own "Stygosi" YouTube channel!
But I still won't be Syd.
Welcome to the forum by the way! <.8.> <ii>
OneEyeMan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by OneEyeMan »

Thanks Jimi!
Rooster1
Axe
Axe

Post by Rooster1 »

OneEyeMan wrote:Since I "discovered" Syd Barrett about 2 weeks ago, I've been listening pretty exclusively to his music; Madcap Laughs, Barrett, Opel, The Peel Sessions, and Piper at the Gates of Dawn. I'll be honest, a lot of it I didn't like/get at first. But now, there's something I love about virtually every one of his songs, even Maisie! You could say his music grew on me. I grew up loving Pink Floyd, but only the stuff from Dark Side on. Discovering Syd's music now makes me think I've been listening to the wrong Pink Floyd all along.
Don't get me wrong, I still think Animals and The Wall are 2 of the finest albums ever made, but Syd's music really speaks to me in a totally different way!
Are there any other artists you all could recommend that sound similar to Syd?
Would've loved to have met him back then. He was such a beautiful fragile person.
Thanks for bearing with me.
Not the same as Syd, but if you're not already familiar try listening to Daniel Johnston. Enjoy.
OneEyeMan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by OneEyeMan »

OK, I'll give him a shot.
Thanks
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Roy Harper, on the three albums he released from 1968-1970, definitely has some Barrett type moments. All three of those albums are very good. Ron Geesin did some arrangements on Folkjokeopus (1969). Come Out Fighting Ghengis Smith from 1968 is not too far from The Madcap Laughs.
OneEyeMan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by OneEyeMan »

Thanks, on my list too.