Bike
10%

Total votes: 92

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your favourite songs from Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Post by Keith Jordan »

PATGOD was a groundbreaking record for the psychedelic scene. This is definitely one of my favourite Pink Floyd albums. Syd's finest commercial works!!

What's your favourite song from it and what do you think of the album?

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/wiki/ ... es_Of_Dawn
Last edited by Keith Jordan on Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Post by apocalypse »

I think it is a great work. Totally unique. My favourite track on the album is Astronomy Domine. I love the live extended versions on roios of the late 60s early 70s, especially the version on Ummagumma
AstroDomine
Axe
Axe

Post by AstroDomine »

I have to go with flaming, although I really like Interstellar Overdrive.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I'll take the unexpected path and say Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk. I think it is the most representative track of the band's live sound from that album, it's fantastic.

The version of Interstellar Overdrive from the album has far too many overdubs, and it's nothing like live versions, so I won't vote for it. (without the overdubs I would have)
vera
Knife
Knife

Post by vera »

It s hard to say...almost every song from this album is a masterpiece but I go with Lucifer Sam
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Flaming would have to be my choice followed by The Gnome and Bike. As a song my favourite would be Astronomy Domine but as Apocalypse said I wouldnt choose this version above Ummagummas. Overall I love the album and probably would put it 4th on my list of Floyd albums after DSOTM, Meddle and Ummagumma.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

It is a great album, also very unique in the Pink Floyd catalogue. The only odd thing is, I can remember exactly the first time I heard each Pink Floyd album except for this one. Very strange. I would put it somewhere in the middle if I were to rate PF albums from favourite to least favourite, simply because I think some of the tracks, as others have mentioned, have better versions to be found elsewhere. I'm in particular dissappointed with the version of Interstellar Overdrive that appears on PATGOD. I love I/O, especially the amazing version on London 66/67. But the PATGOD version just seems too static and lacking in space (I think PublicImage hit the nail on the head when he mentioned too many overdubs). But there are also plenty of great tracks too, showing Syd's truly eclectic style of songwriting. My favourites are The Scarecrow and Astronomy Domine
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

its a very close tie with Interstellar Overdrive and Astronomy Domine, but i will have to go with Interstellar Overdrive because it was a groundbreaking instrumental that sums up the Syd era Pink Floyd and psychedelic rock in general.
DBlaze
Knife
Knife

Post by DBlaze »

i love the whole album :) but i would have to pick...ummm....

flaming
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Bike - cuz its fun to sing, its got all these little bits and pieces, and has the clockwork room effect at the end
next favourite: Pow R Toc H, also cuz its fun to sing, especially the "doi-doi" bit, I often sing that line loudly while walking round the supermarket
and am still waiting for the day when everybody else joins in with the other bits, stupid everybody else dont even know the words to the song just look at me funny and call security, stupid unhip world
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Just thinking about this, wasn't See Emily Play included on the US tracklisting for this album? If so does anyone know why it was left off the UK version?
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

J Ed wrote: and am still waiting for the day when everybody else joins in with the other bits, stupid everybody else dont even know the words to the song just look at me funny and call security, stupid unhip world
:lol: :lol: :lol:

it?s hard to pick just one, but today my choice is Lucifer Sam. Great guitarwork.
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cymbaline212 »

id have to go with Pow R. Toc H. as my fav on patgod, take thy stethoscope and walk being a very very close second. imo these two tracks along with interstellar overdrive really define what pink floyd was all about in the 60s

Stephen wrote:Just thinking about this, wasn't See Emily Play included on the US tracklisting for this album? If so does anyone know why it was left off the UK version?
for some reason the US release omitted astronomy domine and flaming to add see emily play i guess in hopes to boost sales? seems like a pointless move to me. also an interesting decision to scrap the album title which was also pointless and stupid. so im guessing see emily play either didnt fit on the UK version or the record company thought that the single did well enough in the UK to not have to be included on patgod

UK Version
1. Astronomy Domine (4:12)
2. Lucifer Sam (3:07)
3. Matilda Mother (3:08)
4. Flaming (2:46)
5. Pow R. Toc H. (4:26)
6. Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk (3:05)
7. Interstellar Overdrive (9:41)
8. The Gnome (2:13)
9. Chapter 24 (3:42)
10. Scarecrow (2:11)
11. Bike (3:21)

Total Time: 41:52

US Version
Album title "Pink Floyd"
Side One:
1. See Emily Play (2:53)
2. Pow.R Toc.H (4:26)
3. Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk (3:05)
4. Lucifer Sam (3:07)
5. Matilda Mother (3:08)

Side Two:
6. The Scarecrow (2:11)
7. The Gnome (2:13)
8. Chapter 24 (3:42)
9. Intersteller Overdrive (9:41)

Total Time: 33:06
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

in those days, the albums of The Beatles, The Who and the Stones were always chopped down like that by the American record companies, in an effort to squeeze more product out of the material
so maybe Tower records (the US label at the time) envisioned a "Yesterday and Today" type followup using Astronomy, Flaming, Bike, Arnold, & other stray bits & pieces

in terms of english markets, singles were typically a whole different thing from albums, eg Paperback Writer & Revolver or Strawberry Fields Forever & Sgt Pepper: obviously related to the sessions that produced the album, but released some time in advance and not included on the album once it appeared
I think it wasnt til the album oriented 70s that the single became simply the most commercial cut from the new album as opposed to an entity unto itself

I gotta copy of that Tower version, and got it for $2- cuz it was totally trashed up, and the record dealer didnt realise it was a rarity!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Groovybass77 wrote:it was a groundbreaking instrumental that sums up the Syd era Pink Floyd and psychedelic rock in general.
It does not sum up the Syd-era at all. Not the album version, anyway. It isn't very spacey unlike live versions (ala London 66/67), and barely manages to give any impression of the band in a live situation.

The middle section of Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk is much more spacey and is a far better representation of the band's sound than the album version of IO.