How Do You Rate Obscured By Clouds?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Marks out of ten for Obscured By Clouds?

1 - Worst
4%
No votes
2%
2%
5 - Not Bad!
6%
9%
27%
28%
11%
10 - Best!
11%

Total votes: 93

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

How Do You Rate Obscured By Clouds?

Post by Keith Jordan »

So, out of ten, what do you give this album? Do feel free to discuss it!! 8)
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Re: How Do You Rate Obscured By Clouds?

Post by fatoldbob »

corie
Judge!
Judge!

Post by corie »

7 not bad stuff on here at all...
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

i think its one of the most straightfoward rock and roll records the Floyd ever did and i really like it.

I GIVES IT AN 8
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I gave it 7.

It's the most straightforward rock'n'roll record by Pink Floyd, but that also makes it one of their most "non-Floydian" albums. It's a good album as it is, although not necessarily a good Pink Floyd album.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

There is absolutely nothing about this album that appeals to me. I can tell that it was composed and recorded in a rush, because the production and general standard of the songs is quite awful. I don't suspect that I will ever listen to this album again. It's just not good.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I say 8. It has some nice tunes, and it´s also a good transition between the early Floyd and the Dark Side/Big Floyd.
mhspiper
Hammer
Hammer

Post by mhspiper »

I give this album a 10! Every song on it appeals to me, instrumental or otherwise. It's just a lovely album. "Free Four" and "Childhood's End" are among my favorite songs in the Floyd catalouge.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

its a hidden Gem with some great tracks on it - 8
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

How do I rate Obscured By Clouds? well I guess I can give each song a score and then sum it all and divide the final result by the number of tracks. Like this:

1."Obscured by Clouds": A nice atmospheric instrumental that anticipates the trademark "Shine on" style of beginning a floyd album ("Signs of Life", "Cluster One", "The Ballad of Bill Hubbard"). As an intro this track perfectly does the job so: 10.
2."When You're In": some kind of explosive continuation of the intro that sounds a bit alike to the "Travel Sequence". Very repetetive and kind of boring after a few measures. 6.
3."Burning Bridges" : The first proper song on the album. Reminiscent of 'Breathe' in its style and mood. Very relaxing and conforting music. Great vocal work. 10
4."The Gold It's in the...": The uptempo rocker a la 'Nile Song'. I kinda like the music but the vocal work of Gilmour is a little....hmmmh not very enjoyable. 6
5."Wot's... Uh the Deal": Many people love this song, it does nothing for me. A rather dull ballad with nothing musically exciting on it; is decently performed, though. 6
6."Mudmen": An instrumental reworking of the first song with more soloing and interesting guitar textures. My favorite track on the album. 10
7."Childhood's End" either this is a prototype for 'Time' or a sequel to that song. Despite the loooong start it is a great song. 10
8."Free Four": I have always had a conflict with this one, is very catchy but at the same time a little annoying. Good lyrics. 7
9."Stay": I guess you got to be in the w-right mood to apreciate this track. Some times I like it some times I don't. 6
10."Absolutely Curtains": Without a doubt the most accomplished track in the album. A concise atmoshpheric-experimental piece of music. I love the weird burst of sound in the middle when it does the transition to the aborigean chant, which I quite like too. 10

So in this arbitrary numeric way of assessing art, after doing the aritmethics the album would get a: 8.1

But judging it as a 'whole' album I would give it a 6.75
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

I know alot of people think of OBC as not being "floydish" enough, but that's what I love about PF; they were very diverse at times, much like the Beatles. I love the fact that although my wife could never sit through an album like Relics, she actually enjoys OBC. It is my third favorite album behind Animals and Meddle. I give it an 8.
michael christensen
Axe
Axe

Post by michael christensen »

Keith Jordan wrote:So, out of ten, what do you give this album? Do feel free to discuss it!! 8)
I think it is just an album which never should had been done it is so dull it is so ordinary nothing new and experimental at all it is like they have their mind somewhere else maybe at the next project DSOTM.

michael
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

solid fiver
bassplayerforpulse
Axe
Axe

Post by bassplayerforpulse »

I'll give it a five. Some songs are interesting, some are not. Childhood's End is a good one. I would like to see Gilmour add this one to his next tour. As far as the album not sounding " Floydish " enough, is probably because it's a movie soundtrack and the songs were written for the theme of the movie.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

PublicImage wrote:1.

There is absolutely nothing about this album that appeals to me. I can tell that it was composed and recorded in a rush, because the production and general standard of the songs is quite awful. I don't suspect that I will ever listen to this album again. It's just not good.
Krusty old fart! I thought Free Four's sarcasim would appeal to you.