How Do You Rate Obscured By Clouds?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Marks out of ten for Obscured By Clouds?

1 - Worst
4%
No votes
2%
2%
5 - Not Bad!
6%
9%
27%
28%
11%
10 - Best!
11%

Total votes: 93

moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: How Do You Rate Obscured By Clouds?

Post by moom »

horsewhisperer wrote:Wahay! Another place to vote....is there an election in the offing?
Proudly presenting the now-official Master Of Confusion - moom!!! :D
Peel Head Boc
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Peel Head Boc »

9 out of ten. It's one of may fave albums of all time. Best track: 'Mudmen' - classic Floyd, and should have been on 'Echoes' [in fact I'm amazed that no track from OBC made it onto 'Echoes']
sydcrainbop
Axe
Axe

Post by sydcrainbop »

I rate it an 8. i think it is one of their overlooked masterpieces. People belittle movie soundtracks, due to the short time taken to record them, and the fact that the director chooses which songs are "good enough". Screw that! "obscured By Clouds" was written and performed by Pink Floyd and it is GREAT! And it was technically written AFTER most of Dark Side Of The Moon had been written, and it shows! :D
burning_bridges
Axe
Axe

Post by burning_bridges »

Meddle was my favourite album for years and years until Obscured got under my skin. Now, it's the #1 Floyd album I turn to.
fearless1970
Embryo
Embryo

Post by fearless1970 »

Certainly not thier best album in my mind but it does have several cuts which stand out.
robertcrosbie
Axe
Axe

Post by robertcrosbie »

One of my favourite albums (by anyone). For me it just sums up the hazy, early 70's thing perfectly. I love it. Worth admission for Childhood's End and Burning Bridges alone. And that chanting on Curtains always freaks me out.

In many ways its an anomaly in the Floyd discography - no long songs, no concepts. But that's what makes it unique. I prefer it over WYWH, The Wall, as my favourite period is 1969 - 1973, and all the albums therein (including Pompeii). This is second only to Dark Side, and although Meddle is the better album, OBC just has a special place in my heart.
mss1123
Axe
Axe

Post by mss1123 »

It's one of Floyd's least endeveloped albums (understandable given atmosphere of writing), but excellent instrumentation sometimes. I gave it a 6. Curtanis, and sort of Stay, bring, down ranking along with embryonic sound. Childhood's End could have sounded more full. If it were more like Time (lol) this album would be a 7 for me.
mss1123
Axe
Axe

Post by mss1123 »

It's one of Floyd's least endeveloped albums (understandable given atmosphere of writing), but excellent instrumentation sometimes. I gave it a 6. Curtanis, and sort of Stay, bring, down ranking along with embryonic sound. Childhood's End could have sounded more full. If it were more like Time (lol) this album would be a 7 for me.
czgibson
Blade
Blade

Post by czgibson »

I'm a bit surprised at some of the comments here as I've always thought this is one of the strongest Floyd albums. I gave it an 8, although maybe it deserves more. There really isn't a bad track here!

I've met people who call themselves Floyd fans who haven't got round to hearing this one yet, and I've also met fans who say it's their favourite of all.

'Mudmen' and 'Childhood's End' are great examples of Gilmour's shining guitar playing, as well as 'The Gold It's In The ...' which is some of his best dirty rock and roll. 'Free Four' gets my vote for "darkest lyrics set to jauntiest tune". There are some pregnant words here - I can seriously imagine Shakespeare being thrilled by a line like: "The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime."

'Wot's... Uh the Deal?' is one of their most gorgeous songs. I finally got round to working it out on guitar recently, and came up with some insane fingerings to get to some of the chords. It sounded good, but I was sure there was no way Dave would play it that way, so sadly I had to look on Ultimate Guitar to find the easy way. It's the old Lennon trick: take a chord shape, slide it around and see what you get...

Like many Floyd albums, it's easy to stick this one on and not feel the urge to skip anything. Any band that can knock out a record this good with only a couple of weeks' work is very, very special indeed.
paul10
Embryo
Embryo

Post by paul10 »

I gave this a 5, I found the album to be ok but not brilliant. I would have liked Gilmour’s guitar sound to have had a bit more body to it and maybe a creamier overdrive, but that might be due to what effects, or recording techniques etc. were available at the time, although his wah-wah sound/tone on “Stay” was quite good. I like the first (title) track along with “Childhoods End” and “Free Four”, the rest are just ok with nothing special that really stands out for me. I will say though that I think this album is far better than anything that Floyd did before it.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Though one of the lesser-known pieces of the Pink Floyd canon, OBC is nevertheless a remarkable album in it's own right imho. 8/10
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I voted 10 at the time, but didn't comment on it.
What I like about it is how relaxed Pink Floyd sound on it. There's not that much of a concept and despite the limited time they had to record it they came up with the goods.
Another vote for "Mudmen" to go on Echoes. OBC, DSOTM and WYWH. That's an impressive streak of three albums!
Maybe they should have recorded to deadlines more often? No idea if the film is any good though.
paul10
Embryo
Embryo

Post by paul10 »

As a P.S. to my earlier post, does anybody know who the woman is in the mudmen photo? I’m assuming that one of the photos is of the band (with presumably the same woman) on horses, I can’t tell as the photos are a bit too small for me to make out clearly, Cheers.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

paul10 wrote:As a P.S. to my earlier post, does anybody know who the woman is in the mudmen photo? I’m assuming that one of the photos is of the band (with presumably the same woman) on horses, I can’t tell as the photos are a bit too small for me to make out clearly, Cheers.
Probably an actress from the film? And how's this for a scene?
It starts off quiet but then GETS LOUDER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulkXnU5Joz8
paul10
Embryo
Embryo

Post by paul10 »

Thanks Jimi Dean, and thanks for the clip. I forgot for the moment that the album was music for a film, and of course it makes sense that the photos would be from the film also. The other photo then would be of the characters in the film and not of the band as I first thought ](*,)