1974 - Household Objects

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

1974 - Household Objects

Post by J Ed »

1974 - Household Objects

following the career-altering success of Dark Side, the Floyds first instict for a followup was an experimental album
the album was to be 45 minutes of music produced purely from manipulating nonmusical objects

this was ultimately abandoned in favour of a more commercial product, and the Floyds were never really an experimental band again

discuss
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: 1974 - Household Objects

Post by Hudini »

IMHO, they stopped being an experimental band right after the recording of "Atom Heart Mother". After that there were just a few glimpses of experiment on "Dark Side", but that's it.
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

J Ed wrote:1974 - Household Objects

following the career-altering success of Dark Side, the Floyds first instict for a followup was an experimental album
the album was to be 45 minutes of music produced purely from manipulating nonmusical objects

this was ultimately abandoned in favour of a more commercial product, and the Floyds were never really an experimental band again

discuss
>>>>>his was ultimately abandoned in favour of a more commercial product, and the Floyds were never really an experimental band again >>>
i dis agree
except for the first 3 months of 1970 floyd was never really experimental
and commercial???? not really

dsom >>>making a one song album does not seem so mainstream
what changed form meddle to dsom was that roger starting writing much clearer lyrics leaving no room for the press to mis interpret what roger was saying ..

dsom may be considered there disco phase
dsom was an easier to listen than other floyd album's BUT in no way did floyd ever sell out to make a buck

maybe the term experimental can be switched to groundbreaking
like syd's/ floyd 1st album piper
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Has any of this project ever been heard by anyone other than the Floyd?
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

I made a post about this years ago where I commented on how strange it was that they pursued HHO at all. After DSOTM they were starting to live more comfortably with all the money rolling in and the band members have all said that this was such a happy time in their life. Obviously, money played a huge factor in this. Anybody who tells me that Floyd wasn't in it, atleast to a certain extent, for the money is full of BS.

So, why HHO? Did they really believe the same fans who shook their asses to "Money" and played air guitar to "Time" were really going to enjoy "Blender With Accompanying Focet Drip and Plucked Rubber Band Part 2"? :? Was this purely a stalling tactic?
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

lostplay wrote:dsom was an easier to listen than other floyd album's BUT in no way did floyd ever sell out to make a buck
I don't think he was saying that they sold out, just that it is not as experimental as their earlier material (I agree with that because the songs are all far more conventional than stuff like Ummagumma, More, etc.)
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I think we can all be glad this album never got completed. Imagine how much of an anti climax it would have been :?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

PublicImage wrote:I don't think he was saying that they sold out, just that it is not as experimental as their earlier material (I agree with that because the songs are all far more conventional than stuff like Ummagumma, More, etc.)
It's an interesting thing that the greatest hit from "Dark Side Of The Moon" was actually one of the least conventional songs on the album, with its 7/4 time signature.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I'd really like to hear as much remains of this as possible. Probably never to happen :( ...
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

The official truth is that the stuff buried in the "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" intro is the only recording in existence, so we will probably never hear anything else except that.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Keith Jordan wrote:Has any of this project ever been heard by anyone other than the Floyd?
I think Alan Parsons may have claimed to hear it...maybe.

BUT, it could be a case of the members of PF having a good laugh with a fun myth.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Hudini wrote:
PublicImage wrote:I don't think he was saying that they sold out, just that it is not as experimental as their earlier material (I agree with that because the songs are all far more conventional than stuff like Ummagumma, More, etc.)
It's an interesting thing that the greatest hit from "Dark Side Of The Moon" was actually one of the least conventional songs on the album, with its 7/4 time signature.

I can't think of too many hits that have anything but 4/4 time... except for the occasional waltz (3/4) like "Mull of Kintyre" or something.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

That's just what I was talking about. And "Money" is the only Pink Floyd song that's not in 4/4 or 3/4 time signature. It is also one of the very few songs of theirs with a notable time signature change - from 7/4 (verses and Dick Parry's solo) to triplet 4/4 (Gilmour's solo).
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

So what the "literature" says about this album? How far they went in producing it? how many studio sessions?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Hudini wrote:The official truth is that the stuff buried in the "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" intro is the only recording in existence, so we will probably never hear anything else except that.
Meanies...

Hey!!! An idea - live concerts?? British Winter Tour? Maybe there was something :D ?