1983 - A Thread for the Final Cut Haters!

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
mosespa

Re: 1983 - A Thread for the Final Cut Haters!

Post by mosespa »

The Gunner's Dream wrote: Add9 chords consist of a major triad and a 9th. They have a 3rd. Suspended chords don't. Suspended chords either consist of the 1st, 2nd and 5th degrees of the scale (Sus2) or the 1st, 4th and 5th degrees of the scale (Sus4). But a Sus2 is really just an inverted Sus4. So some would say that a suspended chord always refers to a suspended 4th and that the term "Sus2" only describes the order of notes in the inversion of a Sus4 chord.
Your point of the inclusion of the third in the add9 is duly noted and something that I cannot argue with.

However, a 9th is simply a 2nd an octave higher.

It's not a different note. If it were a different note, then there would be way more than merely five notes in a pentatonic scale...because there is more than one octave on a guitar neck.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

mosespa wrote:
However, a 9th is simply a 2nd an octave higher.
This is correct.

On a related note (pun intended) keep in mind that, when playing a standard scale, you usually don't hear anyone play up to the major 7th and then descend. You always hear the octave played. So while technically the root and the octave are the same "tone", the pitch of the octave gives the impression of "completeness" in the scale.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I'm used to hearing scales only go up to the fifth and then back down, anyway. *shrug*
mojoman
Blade
Blade

Post by mojoman »

it was such a buzzkill when it came out..........while over the years i have warmed up to it it still remains in the category of what if.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I think that if it weren't what it is, it would merely be a nearly random collection of songs which wouldn't be able to stand up on their own.

I think that the best thing that could have happened with this album did happen.

*shrug*
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

This album is (along with The Wall & Animals of course) the most beautiful piece of music I ever listened to. How can anyone get to hate it?
hugo zuccarelli
Embryo
Embryo

Post by hugo zuccarelli »

Hi guys, here a note of history, has anybody bother to notice few exceptional facts about TFC?
First is was the latest collaboration, from the late Michael Kammen , whom also created the orchestration of The Wall.
Next is the fact that in this album Roger sung, to my knowledge, the longest vocalization note in Rock History( without electronics), in "the gunners dream"
Night after night go around , and round my brain, His dream is driving me INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
COUNT HOW LONG IS IT, AND COMPARE IT TO ( SAY ) Pavaroti.
Next of course have you guys listened to TFC in headphones??
Any Comments?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

hugo zuccarelli wrote:Next is the fact that in this album Roger sung, to my knowledge, the longest vocalization note in Rock History
Interesting. Can you quote any source on this, or is it just your own observation?

And welcome. ;)
hugo zuccarelli
Embryo
Embryo

Count the seconds, and try to find a longer one from ANYONE.
I couldn't.
hugo zuccarelli
Embryo
Embryo

Did Anybody payed attention to Roger Waters Guinness books of records ( not),17 seconds long vocalization on the gunners dream?
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

hugo zuccarelli wrote:Did Anybody payed attention to Roger Waters Guinness books of records ( not),17 seconds long vocalization on the gunners dream?
Ooh! Unlucky! Actually Bill Withers beat Roger by one second for "A lovely daaaaaaaaaaay" at 18 seconds.
However the longest held note according to Guinness Book Of Online Records:

http://community.guinnessworldrecords.c ... /7691.html

"Hi, I'm Mick Hucknall, after leaving Simply Red I decided to become an addict to crack cocaine* and as a result, I can hold a note from 'New York, New York' for over one minute and seven seconds!"

And then he does it again to prove it, but it was too much for my ears. (You might want to turn your volume down...)

*=This bit might not actually be true.
hugo zuccarelli
Embryo
Embryo

Gotta re check the timing at the last breath,it start:" is driving me insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnngggggggggggggggggggg"and is not a simple note, He make it clear is not digital stretching.....
Anyway, I just Love it. :D
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

Mr. Zucarelli, I´m just honored to say hello to you ! Bienvenido. :D
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

What about that note he holds in "The Gunner's Dream"? AND HOLD ON TO THE DREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM...

While it's not as long, it's Roger being the theatrical ham he's proven himself to be on some Pink Floyd records. I'd love to know the exact thought process that buzzed through Roger's head as he was making this album.
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

JackRegan wrote:
sintrait wrote:I'm glad this album exists.
I'm not.
you´re a disgrace.