1984 - Roger Waters Releases The Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Mother
Embryo
Embryo

Re: 1984 - Roger Waters Releases The Pros & Cons of Hitchhik

Post by Mother »

Love the Pros & Cons. Interesting concept, stunning lyrics, vocals, magnificent Clapton guitar all over it, a masterpiece if you will. Right up there with my favourite Floyd/Waters materiel. I love how it keeps coming back to the A minor motif. Perfect length the album too.
I agree about the title track's chorus, although I generally approach it to be rather tongue in cheek from Roger.

Would love to get my hands on a bootleg concert recording or DVD. Any advice?
Mother
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Mother »

Like it a heck of lot more than anything else Roger did solo btw.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

I really really really really do like this album. I'm torn between this and Amused to Death as my favourite of his solo projects (this could change however when he releases his new album).

I can't think of one bad song from P&COH, it's brilliant. Running Shoes, Sexual Revolution, Go Fishing, Every Stranger's Eyes and the title song are particular stand outs for me.

Much better than Gilmour's solo album from the same year (although Murder was a bloody brilliant song).

:)
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Sorry for bumping thread.
There's a lot you think about how the album sounds when you aren't listening to it. There's the comfortable "Dress rehearsal for Pink Floyd" but I think it isn't even that. The band is more stripped back than The Final Cut and there are more strings than Animals. The lyrics are the oddest of his solo work as they are internalised. Some of the best moments on Is This The Life We Really Want? have the same writing.
You can't hear any music from his other solo albums on this record however. So it should be marvelled as Roger's last Bass, Drums and Guitars Combo album.

Everything COULD have been different for this album if Roger cooperated with MTV who wanted to ask loads of questions about Pink Floyd.
Roger (Get ready! You won't see this coming!...) refused to talk about the Floyd, so there went the support of MTV.
1984 really could have been different for Roger, but it wasn't and that's happened and here we are.