1990 Pink Floyd at Knebworth Park Silver Clef Show

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

1990 Pink Floyd at Knebworth Park Silver Clef Show

Post by Keith Jordan »

On 30th June 1990, Pink Floyd performed at the 'Silver Clef Award Winners' charity show at Knebworth Park, Stevenage (where the band had last performed in 1975). The band played seven tracks, including Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts 1-5, Sorrow and Comfortably Numb. Also on the bill: Eric Clapton; Dire Straits; and Robert Plant with special guest Jimmy Page.
walter5
Blade
Blade
Location: 13th Floor Elevator, Enron Hubbard Bldg. Houston Texxas

Re: 1990 Pink Floyd at Knebworth Park Silver Clef Show

Post by walter5 »

You can see "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and "Run Like Hell" on the DVD, but you'll hear "Comfortably Numb" & "Run Like Hell" on the CD. The complete show was broadcast live here in the U.S. on the Westwood One Radio Network.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

It was quite windy during their set. Mr. Screen wasn't in full form.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

It was raining too....but who gave a fuck?! <ii>
admiral panther
Hammer
Hammer

Post by admiral panther »

ddebil wrote:It was raining too....but who gave a fuck?! <ii>

am i friends with ddebil? he looked at my site and yes its been 30 years, i dont like violence. oh except for world wrestling entertainment.
the wwe, :twisted:
sherer
Axe
Axe

Post by sherer »

walter5 wrote:You can see "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and "Run Like Hell" on the DVD, but you'll hear "Comfortably Numb" & "Run Like Hell" on the CD. The complete show was broadcast live here in the U.S. on the Westwood One Radio Network.
Wish they would release all of this on DVD and CD so those of us that missed it could see the performance rather than just the odd song.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

It is a pity. There's a dearth of official Pink Floyd videos out there.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

snifferdog wrote:It is a pity. There's a dearth of official Pink Floyd videos out there.
Yes. But, as far as I can tell, Nick Mason was behind putting together a Video Anthology over the last few years (RonToon may be the source of that info.) and mentioned it around September, I believe.

However, I would be interested in the older stuff rather than the 1990 Knebworth material.
walter5
Blade
Blade

Post by walter5 »

A video anthology (such as the one by Led Zeppelin 10 years ago) would be a natural, I'd think. But looking at the material being pirated/bootlegged/fan-shared over the last 15 years, there's such a breadth and depth of stuff to choose from I don't know where they'd start... I wonder what the boys have in their private vault(s)? :cry: I fear we'll never know.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

walter5 wrote:A video anthology (such as the one by Led Zeppelin 10 years ago) would be a natural, I'd think. But looking at the material being pirated/bootlegged/fan-shared over the last 15 years, there's such a breadth and depth of stuff to choose from I don't know where they'd start... I wonder what the boys have in their private vault(s)? :cry: I fear we'll never know.
Indeed. While I loved hearing those two live concerts on the DSOTM and WYWH reissues, there's also the knowledge that they probably have loads of other goodies that will never be polished up and released :(
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

walter5 wrote:A video anthology (such as the one by Led Zeppelin 10 years ago) would be a natural, I'd think. But looking at the material being pirated/bootlegged/fan-shared over the last 15 years, there's such a breadth and depth of stuff to choose from I don't know where they'd start... I wonder what the boys have in their private vault(s)? :cry: I fear we'll never know.
I think we have a lot of what they have in their vaults already. KQED, all the European TV stuff from 1968-1971 all seems to be out here in the public domain.

If they have concert footage from later on, they have kept bloody quiet about it, and not even scratchy copies made it into the public domain, which would make them unique amongst prog bands in that respect. Most other bands seem to have leaky vault doors. I think it is part of Pink Floyd's mysterious public (non)identity that it is thought they have these rich vaults of material somewhere, but I wager they are somewhat bankrupt in that department and would have to go grovelling either to professional bootleggers like Harvested or to all the European and US TV shows that might own clips of the band in any state to make a usable video compilation.
walter5
Blade
Blade

Post by walter5 »

From the fabulous Spare Bricks website:
The Floyd played the 200th (and final) show of their highly successful Momentary Lapse Of Reason tour as the headliners at the 1990 Knebworth festival. The big change of note for Floyd fans was the addition of Clare Torry as a backing vocalist. Clare joined Durga McBroom, Sam Brown, and Vicki Brown, and was scheduled to be the featured voice in "The Great Gig In The Sky". This was the first time Clare would perform live with the Floyd since her legendary performance on The Dark Side of the Moon.

As Rick tickled the ivories to open the song, the anticipation was enormous. But as Clare Torry's vocals started everything crashed down to earth. Where there once were soulful yells of ecstasy now came tone-deaf screams of horror. Where there once was the perfect use of voice as an instrument now came a preview of Roseanne Barr's rendition of The Star Spangled Banner. This is on the few live performances by the Floyd where I actually cringe as I listen to it. What could Dave, Rick, and Nick have been thinking during this train wreck? Surely they would never ask Clare to cameo at a show again, and they never did. It was really no surprise when none of the official Knebworth 1990 releases contained one note of this atrocity.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

rare audience footage of missing tracks finally uploaded onto Yt

Money

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SedOj54zKQ

The not Great Gig In The Sky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOLqx93mrAI
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Well found azza200

poor weather, no Mr Screen (weather), bad haircuts (weather?) and no Rachel Fury......and yet one of my favourite performances.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Sorrow and CN 2 standout versions of them tracks Davids solo on CN is one of the best up there with Live8 DSOT Venice New Orleans 94