Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
21%
43%
27%
6%
1 - Worst
3%

Total votes: 116

Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

Post by Steph22 »

Massed Gadgets wrote:I wouldn't go as far as calling AHM my favourite PF album, but it is the only album by them that, for me, doesn't contain a single weak track. I think it's just a lovely album from start to finish. I never understood the hate-on so many fans have for Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast. I fell in love with that piece the first time I heard it. What's so bad about it?
I love Alan's, although I wasn't smitten right away. It took a few listens, but this album is essential in many ways. It has a very pastoral feel to it even with the sweeping Atom Heart Mother suite. I love that Roger said no to Stanley Kubrick to using the main piece for A Clockwork Orange because he wanted to cut it up as he saw fit. Brilliance in action. However having said that, the piece totally goes with the visuals in the movie. It would have worked beautifully.

If is a great song. I love David's faraway guitar riffs.

Summer 68 is Ricks masterpiece. I love this song. Musically it reminds me a bit of Sesame Street. Jaunty but serious.
Fat old Sun is great too especially the solo. One of his best, I feel.

Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast is great too. Makes me want to get up early in the morning and have a massive breakfast of everything. Can you tell I love this album??
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Steph22 wrote:Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast is great too. Makes me want to get up early in the morning and have a massive breakfast of everything.
Do you like Marmalade?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Idisaffect wrote:
Steph22 wrote:Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast is great too. Makes me want to get up early in the morning and have a massive breakfast of everything.
Do you like Marmalade?
Marmalade, I like marmalade.

But I love toast, sausages, eggs.

WTF is that microbioptic stuff?
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

moom wrote:
Idisaffect wrote:
WTF is that microbioptic stuff?
"microbioptic" = macrobiotic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macroiotic_diet

:)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Darn it! And I thought this Alan is some smart science-ass guy. (I know the real Alan was the roadie, I know...)
Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Steph22 »

Idisaffect wrote:
Do you like Marmalade?

Not really. I prefer jam.
Tbonetyler
Axe
Axe

Post by Tbonetyler »

Wow. I just got this album yesterday and there are some fricken awesome parts in the first suite. Especially the part with the violin and Funky Dung.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Tbonetyler wrote:Wow. I just got this album yesterday and there are some fricken awesome parts in the first suite. Especially the part with the violin and Funky Dung.
You heard the rest of it yet?
Tbonetyler
Axe
Axe

Post by Tbonetyler »

David Smith wrote:
Tbonetyler wrote:Wow. I just got this album yesterday and there are some fricken awesome parts in the first suite. Especially the part with the violin and Funky Dung.
You heard the rest of it yet?
Yup. I like the song If. AHM isn't something I would listen to on a regular basis, more like on really low when I'm in bed trying to sleep.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Agreed, Summer 68 aside i rarely go back to the album, although on the rare occassions i do i tend to quite enjoy it
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

Fat old Sun is a Kinks ripoff in the best possible way & also a great tune to play on guitar at parties!! Summer of 68 was an x girlfriend's of mine's favorite song to shag to. Some of the title track is ok too but nothing to write home about. Still finding their way.
The Guest
Embryo
Embryo

Post by The Guest »

Personally, I think this album is complete s***. It's definately their worst work. Not a good moment anywhere in it and one of the worst albums I've ever heard from any artist.

I love Pink Floyd, but this is an abomination.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

The Guest wrote:Personally, I think this album is complete s***. It's definately their worst work. Not a good moment anywhere in it and one of the worst albums I've ever heard from any artist.
I love Pink Floyd, but this is an abomination.
you havent heard ummagumma disc 1 yet then lol
Bumr50
Axe
Axe

Post by Bumr50 »

I really enjoy this album depending on my mood. :?
Jacek
Axe
Axe

Post by Jacek »

I love this one, and have loved it as long as I can remember. I think Summer '68 is the best track on it (I love Rick, and his song here is an amazing mix of pleasant piano ditty and dramatic, bombastic, dark epic), but all five are great. I like its structure very much, as well, kicking off with a grand 23-minute adventure that puts horns and a chorus to fantastic use, following with a great song each from the three songwriters, and closing with a goofy but lovable instrumental. The calm, pastoral theme is a fine follow-up to the awesome chaos of the title track.

I do think Atom Heart Mother gets overshadowed in my mind by Meddle and Obscured by Clouds, its two immediate follow-ups and two of my favorite Floyd albums. Still, every time I give it a spin, I enjoy it thoroughly from start to finish. It's also compelling because you can really see the later Floyd cohesing from the much wilder & looser band of More and Ummagumma (Zabriskie Point, too, is evidence to me of the cohering process, albeit at a slightly earlier stage).

4/5