Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
78%
16%
4%
1%
1 - Worst
2%

Total votes: 159

Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Post by Flying pig437 »

Jacek wrote:T. I also don't care very much at all for Eclipse (mainly because of the female vocalists).

Still, there's lots & lots & lots of amazing stuff about the album, of course. Speak to Me > Breathe > On the Run > Time (despite the female vocals during the chorus) , and Us & Them (again, female vocals aside)

Also, many many props to the samples of spoken voice, and the sequencing / tracklist. Despite my misogyny...
4/5
only joking. It is a bit strange though that this guy dislikes the feminine touches to the album. It's what makes it such a great album compared to stuff like O.K computer or The Stone roses or other classic albums that without the feminine touch just seem to be one dimensional. Wasn't it Syd who first suggested getting a saxophonist and some chick backing singers back in the 60's?
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

A/w after readin thru this thread... My fav. album of all time by miles! I remember when I first heard it. I was working in a booking office for a small countryside train stn. and a collegue came in to replace me and he put it on. I can remember this fantasticaly fresh and original sounding music emanating from the stereo and knew instantly it was something special. The strange thing is I hardly ever 'get' music without hearing it a lot first and 2ndly I'd been into punk so just hated Pink Floyd and had even once while drunk defenstrated someone's copy of Animals just 'cause I'd heard people say Pink Floyd were shit. I alaways wonder how or when or even if I'd got round to being a Floyd fan or hearing Dark side of the moon if it wasn't then but I'm glad I did 'cause Dark side of the moon is one of the great loves of my life.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Flying pig437 wrote:
:D I haven't laughed so much in ages.
Glad at least someone got it... where to laugh, btw?
Jack Wolf
Axe
Axe

Post by Jack Wolf »

Dark Side Of The Moon

1,2. Speak To Me/Breathe: The heartbeat thumping along with the short audio snippets from the rest of the album make for an epic intro. Once Breathe kicks in with its lovely chill vibe, it's all gravy from then on. - 9.0
3. On The Run: A really exceptional electronic track. For 1973 this must have been groundbreaking, and it still holds up surprisingly well today. - 8.0
4. Time: I always get goosebumps during the intro and buildup for this song. It is truly one of Pink Floyd's greatest masterpieces and one of the greatest songs of the 20th century. - 10
5. The Great Gig In The Sky: The wailing voice of a woman never sounded so beautiful. What brilliance! - 9.0
6. Money: The most overplayed Pink Floyd song on the radio, but still one of the most unique hit songs I've ever heard. Very original. - 8.5
7. Us And Them: A magnificent song all the way through. Impeccable vocals and instrumentals tied together with a great message, what more can you ask for? Just stunningly beautiful. - 10
8. Any Colour You Like: A wonderfully satisfying instrumental track, very solid. - 8.5
9. Brain Damage: Incredible song with great lyrics. The perfect buildup for the monumental album closer. - 9.0
10. Eclipse: One of the best endings to an album I've ever heard. The perfect closing track to a stellar concept album, BUT, wayyyy too short. An additonal 2 minutes or so would have done it supreme justice. Almost perfect. - 9.5
11. Album Artwork: Simple but marvelous. This isn't my personal favorite of their album covers but it does deserve its legendary status. - 9.5

Final Score: 9.1 (out of 10)

Final word: The fact that this album still sells pretty well today (almost 40 yrs later) is a testament to its musical greatness. It may seem almost cliche to lap praise upon this album but it really is that good! The songs flow so well together it's almost as if this album is one elongated song. A remarkable musical achievement!
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

I'm glad someone gives "Speak to Me" and "Any Colour You Like" the recognition they deserve!
TheLazenby
Knife
Knife

Post by TheLazenby »

At least the 1972 mix on the new boxed set makes two things VERY obvious - "Speak To Me" needs to open that album, and Clare Torry needs to be on "Great Gig."
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

TheLazenby wrote:Clare Torry needs to be on "Great Gig."
Dunno, I found the instrumental version quite refreshing. Though in the long run I think that the Clare Torry version fits the album better.
Gem
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Gem »

Perfect and unmatched.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

In the Dutch newspaper 'Algemeen Dagblad' of Saturday 2 March 2003, a writing reader refers to the newspaper of the day before. In that newspaper there seems to be an article on Pink Floyd and "clubeigenaren" (club owners). I couldn't find that article, but I did find an online version:

Pink Floyd en de macht van schatrijke clubeigenaars
By: Renate Verhoofstad, 1-3-13 - 08:29
http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/5598/Sportcolumn ... aars.dhtml

The reader tries to correct that article by saying that it's Roger Waters singing 'Money' and not David Gilmour. Complete with explanation that Waters, Gilmour and Wright were doing vocals until the Gilmour period, after 1985.

Without checking, I'd say that it's definitely Gilmour doing the vocals of 'Money' on 'Dark Side of the Moon' and the version for 'A Collection of Great Dance Songs'.
As far as I know, Waters only sings on the previously unreleased demo version.
Or am I deaf? :?:
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

No you aren't, it's definitely Gilmour on vocals. I think the only full band version where Waters does the vocals is in the Live Earth show.

You can definitely tell the difference :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf0PIPKNnsM
StarlightDragon
Axe
Axe

Post by StarlightDragon »

Yeah, Gilmour was still singing the majority of Floyd songs at this point - Roger only sings on Brain Damage and Eclipse from this album, with Gilmour/Clare Torry everywhere else.
cjbright
Embryo
Embryo

Post by cjbright »

I'm so deeply connected to the music and lyrics heard on The Dark Side of the Moon. As an impressionable adolescent in 1973 I was struck by how closely it echoed my own short life. For better or worse, all of the subject matter had touched me in some way, so I immediately identified with it. The music was just so very powerful, I couldn't resist. Looking back on that moment and the intervening time, now that I'm 40 years older and wiser, I am thankful for the influence this monumental work of art has had on me. Without question, The Dark Side of the Moon is my all-time favorite album by any artist. I still have my jealously guarded original copy of the LP with all the goodies, including the poster which hung for years on my wall. And I also own every re-issue, re-master, re-package you can imagine: 8-track, cassette, CDs, SACDs, box sets, etc. The recent Immersion box set edition was the latest acquisition, a welcome and fitting addition to my cherished collection. Thank you Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Richard Wright, Nick Mason, Alan Parsons and Abbey Road Studios et al for creating this superb work just for me. The rest of humanity is incidentally the better for it as well.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Am I "one of the few" who actually likes the 30th anniversary reissue cover more than the original?

danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Probably. Personally I think it's pretty awful.

The 20th anniversary cover is a different story though. I quite like that one.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Care to show :) ?