Pink Floyd - The Wall

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
54%
23%
14%
3%
1 - Worst
5%

Total votes: 147

Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall

Post by Hudini »

ndasilva wrote:It's not quite the full thing. There is a longer version of Young Lust that certain radio stations have. At least in Winnipeg, there is.
While most of the time radio edits are shorter than album versions of songs, with Pink Floyd radio edits were usually made to make sure the song works outside the context of the album. Hence the radio edits of 'Young Lust' and ABITW2 run longer than the album versions, while the single version of 'Run Like Hell' has a "clean" intro (no audience sounds heard) but a much shorter keyboard solo.
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

For me this is a four. I loved it much more when I was a kid, but over time I have come to love albums like Wish You Were Here, Animals and Meddle more.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

The 'In the Flesh' rant reminds me a bit of The Doors live in Miami 1969.

The Doors - Five To One (live in Miami) (1969)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBEoxz9_sQM

Jim Morrison - You're all a bunch of fucking idiots (rant only)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFdmAgA_Gfo
You're all a bunch of fucking idiots
Letting people tell you what you're gonna do
Letting people push you around
How long do you think it's gonna last?
How long are you gonna let it go on?
How long are you gonna let them push you around?
How long?
Maybe you like it
Maybe you like being pushed around
Maybe you love it
Maybe you love
getting your face stuck in the shit
Come on!
You love it, don'tcha?
You love it
You're all a bunch of slaves
Letting everybody push you around
What are you gonna do about it?
What are you gonna do...

Your ballroom days
are over, baby
At the end, after finishing 'Five to One', I think he's aware of possibly setting up a riot:
Hey! I'm not talking about no revolution
I'm not talking about no demonstration
I'm not talking about getting out in the streets
I'm talking about having some fun!
I'm talking about dancing
I'm talking about love your neighbour
till it hurts...
I'm talking about grab your friend
I'm talking about love
I'm talking about some love
I'm talking about some love
I'm talking about love
love, love, love, love, love, love, love
Grab your fucking friend and love him.
Come on!
He did get arrested, though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_G ... ion_Center

I think the similarities with 'The Wall' are interesting.
Idol calling fans a bunch of idiots, danger of a riot.

And I like how the transcribed words read like a poem or lyrics.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

The second "In The Flesh" always seemed a joke that backfired to me, but then I saw it performed in a tribute night (Music only no visuals)
Seeing that song with an audience made the penny drop of how it works when there's a large audience and it's a pity it wasn't sung by all three vocalists.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

^ I always took the second In The Flesh seriously. It's The Trial that I felt was the joke that backfired.

Maybe they're both jokes. Send your answers to Pink c/o the funny farm. The film could have used some humor, that's for sure.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
Is that the funny farm at Chalfont ? ... must dash Caroline is on the 'phone

](*,)
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

A masterpiece with some errors. Pink Floyd liked to perform new songs/albums on a stage before they had actually been recorded. It was what The Wall needed too, The band should take the Wall on the one-year tour first, and polish it until it was perfect. Same as what they did with the Dark Side Of The Moon. A few shorter songs could have been omitted, a few other songs extended. To get a better flow of the album.

The use of female backing vocals should have been a little more. They could hire Clare Torry again and let her contribute on The Trial ,for example.

But, I know it was not possible to go on tour with The Wall before recording the album.

* * * * 4/5
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:58 amThey could hire Clare Torry again and let her contribute on The Trial ,for example.
Clare Torry DOES sing backing vocals on The Wall, specifically on "The Trial" (credited with Vicki Brown as "Vicki & Clare").
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:58 amI know it was not possible to go on tour with The Wall before recording the album.
Not only was there no time to do it, but everyone was essentially sworn to secrecy regarding the concept and the staging - but Bob Ezrin had spoken off the record to a journalist that he was friends with, they then brought it up during an interview with Rick Wright, and both of them were firmly placed on Roger's shit list. It's the entire reason that Ezrin didn't work on The Final Cut, though Rog had gotten over it by the time he started working on Radio KAOS, just in time for Bob to shoot him down.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:35 pm Clare Torry DOES sing backing vocals on The Wall, specifically on "The Trial" (credited with Vicki Brown as "Vicki & Clare").
I didn't know that(or maybe I just I forgot that). Thanks for info Ziggy. 8)
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Well, this never crossed my mind:

''Roger Waters told Brian Hiatt of Rolling Stone that 'Another Brick In The Wall (part 2)' was a recasting of a riff he'd written a decade earlier in the 1968 Pink Floyd song 'Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun'(which coincidentally happened to contain the line ''Witness the man who raves at the wall''). The 'ominous' three-note theme central to the Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun recurs in various contexts throughout the whole The Wall album'''.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I've rarely seen it mentioned, but it doesn't mean any of the Floyd were around when Bob brought them in to add vocals. Considering she's said that Gilmour was really the only one that spoke to her and gave her any direction during the "Great Gig" session, maybe Bob didn't even put two and two together. It was around the same time she sang lead on a track for the Alan Parsons Project.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:35 pm Well, this never crossed my mind:

''Roger Waters told Brian Hiatt of Rolling Stone that 'Another Brick In The Wall (part 2)' was a recasting of a riff he'd written a decade earlier in the 1968 Pink Floyd song 'Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun'(which coincidentally happened to contain the line ''Witness the man who raves at the wall''). The 'ominous' three-note theme central to the Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun recurs in various contexts throughout the whole The Wall album'''.
This seems odd because I think he'd have to be referring to the vocal melody of "Brick" #2 - the first few demos of which just featured acoustic rhythm guitar, and the famous guitar riff came from Gilmour's "Run Like Hell" demo.

The "Empty Spaces" melody, on the other hand...it could be seen as a continuation of the "Brick" #2 melody, but they'd played it before, whether they knew it or not. During the few times they ever performed "Childhood's End" live, very late in 1972, there was a long instrumental section in the middle in 6/8; I've mentioned elsewhere that it reminds me of "Seems So Long Ago, Nancy" by Leonard Cohen (which came out three years earlier, and would be particularly fitting in that context), and that it may have been the basis for "Shine On", which they first performed less than two years later. The melody and tempo of that section is the same as "Empty Spaces", though probably transposed a semitone or two (they transposed "Childhood's End" on the studio version, most likely to make it sound a little less like "Time", which they were working on at virtually the same time).

https://youtu.be/MONo3LHr5gM
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

The "Set the Controls" tie-in does fit well with the original lyrics:

We don't need your adulation
We don't need your starry gaze
How the years have come between us
You should have seen them in the early days

All in all, it's just another brick in the wall

They don't need your reminiscing
They don't need your memories
They don't want to hear who's missing
You should have seen them when the boys were young

All in all, it's just another brick in the wall
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:35 pm''Roger Waters told Brian Hiatt of Rolling Stone...
Really had to dig for the full text of that bit:
As Waters composed the music, he began lingering on an ominous three-note theme – it’s best known as the chorus melody of “Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)” but recurs in multiple contexts throughout the album. He now acknowledges that the tune is a recasting of a riff he wrote a decade earlier, in the 1968 Floyd tune “Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun” (which, rather eerily, contains the line “Witness the man who raves at the wall?”).

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... rs-245674/