Pink Floyd - The Wall

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
54%
23%
14%
3%
1 - Worst
5%

Total votes: 147

ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Pink Floyd - The Wall

Post by ddebil »

Good, fun album. 4.5
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

Beginning of the disaster. 3 stars.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Good album, but not so good as Dark Side Of The Moon and Animals. 4
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

For me, The Wall is culturally significant because it speaks to the "waiting for the Apocaplypse" mentality that has branded so many of Pink Floyd chronological contemporaries. Unless you were raised in a time of immediate post-war paranoia, it's difficult to imagine, perhaps. The members of Pink Floyd were all raised in a very frightening post-war England, and after Hirioshima, the mentality of mankind seemed to turn reluctantly suicidal, as if the end had become inevitable. That's what I get from the album, hope and despair. I think the music is gorgeous, but the message is what resonates for me.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

One of the best albums put out in history besides Dark Side Of The Moon and Thriller by Micheal Jackson. I give it a 5. I tend to keep The Wall very close to my heart.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

princessDungan74D wrote:One of the best albums put out in history besides Dark Side Of The Moon and Thriller by Micheal Jackson.
WTF?
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

I meant The Wall was so good of an album that it was in the charts like Pink Floyds DSOTM and Micheal Jacksons Thriller. It was in the charts for awhile because so many people buying records around 1980 bought the Wall.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Just the fact that people bought it a lot doesn't make "Thriller" one of the best albums ever made. It's only one of the most sold albums ever.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Given bits of it a recent spin again, thanks to the upcoming tour, and am really enjoying hearing stuff from disc 2 again after a long absence from it
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I haven't listened to The Wall for a real long time either. I think I shall give it a good listening to also!
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I'll wait until about February next year. I don't want to get fed up with it before the show.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

The idea of people being put in a mincer, as shown in the movie 'The Wall', has been used earlier, in the seventies. It can be seen in the superb Dutch show titled 'Hartenvrouw', of Liesbeth List and Su Kramer, directed by Bob Rooyens, broadcasted on 24 January 1972. It's used to visualize a cover of The Beatles song 'Piggies', translated to German.
The minced meat is being eaten by a man and a woman.

Two snapshots from a DVD-box are added as attachment.
The first snapshot shows people falling into the mincer. One person is already close to the mincer. Of the other person, on top of the screen, only the orange trousers are visible. (Liesbeth List closes her nose with her fingers, to visualize the sound of the phone voice effect which can also be heard in The Beatles's 'White Album' version of the song.)
The second snapshot shows Liesbeth singing in the mincer. At the end of the video, she also sinks down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

I love this album because we still build walls today not only mentally but between country's. I think Roger Waters wrote this album not only about his life but for other people in the world and for Syd Barrett as well. I have built somes walls in my life that I have had to tear down myself. It has been called overrated but I still think its one of Pink Floyd best album.
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Discography - Pink Floyd - The Wall discussion....

Post by thefinalcut »

mosespa wrote:I still haven't quite fully recovered from my first exposure to this nearly thirty years ago. :lol:

It's been my favorite Pink Floyd album for so long that I almost feel guilty admitting that they have other albums that I like just as much.
Ditto.
And the same could apply to The Final Cut & Animals. But The Wall is HIS masterpiece as songwriter and musician.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Hudini wrote:Just the fact that people bought it a lot doesn't make "Thriller" one of the best albums ever made. It's only one of the most sold albums ever.
I think Thriller is a great album. *shrug*

I can't really say that I've been listening to The Wall much lately (aside from watching a couple of VOIO's from the current tour,) but I HAVE been working on the next edition of my "Frankenwall" project...trying to iron out some of the issues I didn't know how to overcome before...I think I do now...but I'm not quite sure.

I guess we'll see.