"The Final Cut Tour" Fake Bootleg Project

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
hello_leon
Embryo
Embryo

"The Final Cut Tour" Fake Bootleg Project

Post by hello_leon »

Hi. I'm trying to put together an hypotetical version of a never-been Final Cut tour.
Any suggestions.
Obviously, it needs the tracks on The Final Cut, and some tracks were performed both in early and recent days by Rog.
For the ones that were never performed, I thought i may use the rough demos you can find in bootlegs such as "The Final Cutting" + some tweaking with audacity to make them sound live and, if possible, better.
I think the song Near the end from About Face by David Gimour would fit there, and maybe a track or two from Pros and Cons could (dunno... never listened to it).
What tracks from other albums do you think could fit in a Final Cut Tour?
Maybe Run Like Hell and Comfortably Numb at the end? The early 70s tracks Roger Played in the Pros and Cons tour?
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "The Final Cut Tour" Fake Bootleg Project

Post by twcc »

I suggest you spend your time on something else

](*,)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

hello_leon wrote:maybe a track or two from Pros and Cons could (dunno... never listened to it)
Pros and Cons sounds very, very much like TFC. Had Pink Floyd survived beyond TFC it would have most probably been their next album. You should listen to it. :)
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

"Every Strangers Eyes" would of added a bit of warmth to The Final Cut.
"Sexual Revolution" didn't fit on either The Wall or The Final Cut
Bitching about Yoko Ono might ring weird with songs about Southampton Dock. So the title track of PACOH a no no.
And amongst "The Gunner's Dream" that one about "Arabs with knives at the foot of the bed" might be too inflammatory.
Maybe after Two Suns In The Sunset you could end with the more hopeful "Honey, you're dreaming..." of 4:30am Apparently They Were Traveling Abroad" close the project?
If you want zero comedy then DO NOT INCLUDE "Go Fishing". It would jar terrible if the same project that had "And maniacs don't blow holes/In bandsmen by remote control" also had "FUCK IT THEN!/ Take the kids back to town/ And maybe I'll see you around!".

Best I can do for it.hello_leon, you seriously need to listen and then listen again and again to The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking!
Last edited by Jimi Dean Barrett on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Yeah, The Final Cut and Pros and Cons are very different albums. The former is brimming with English references and many songs are set in WW2 while P&C is set in late 70s, early 80s United States with many contemporary cultural nods both in the lyrics and in the music (blues, Americana, mostly). Other than the sparse arrangements and Waters then-current whisper/scream vocal mode, they don't have much in common.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Just wait a few more weeks and a brilliant suggestion of what could have been will probably appear. :D
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

mastaflatch wrote:Yeah, The Final Cut and Pros and Cons are very different albums.
Lyrically and conceptually, they are completely different. Musically and arrangement-wise, they are two sides of a same coin. Of course though they are not Cannibal Corpse albums to be completely the same all the way through.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Bitching about Yoko Ono might ring weird
If Pink Floyd had done Pros And Cons, would the rest of the band gone along with calling Yoko a bitch? Pink Floyd calling Yoko a bitch just a few years after her husband was slain in front of her- that may have raised a few more eyebrows. Apparently this song was played on the radio. I understand some of Waters sentiment about Yoko but "selling tickets where the buzzard circles over the body on the plain"... that's kinda brutal. Perhaps it's accurate.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

There was a chance to have that tour for real, imo.

If I had an opportunity to put a word into Roger Water's ear back in the day, I would've suggested the following version of The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking Tour (1984-1985), in terms of its concert setlist:

Set 1
The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking (the entire album)

Set 2
The Final Cut (the entire album)

Encore
Old Pink (i.e. let Eric Clapton have a free go at some of the Pink Floyd material, in 'make-it-your-own-version' fashion to let his own guitar style shine on Pink Floyd songs)

I would've filmed the shows for a concert video release (target release date: Xmas 1985).

This set up would've simultaneously served a number of different purposes:

1) It would've promoted Roger Water's first solo album (The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking) just like the actual tour that happened did, but it would've also captured the album's stage show on video for posterity
2) It would've promoted Pink Floyd's latest album (The Final Cut) in concert - something that never happened - and it would've captured the album's stage show on video for posterity
3) I would've let Clapton select a set worth of Pink Floyd's older material, to fully own on stage; I would've made him perform different encores on different nights but film them all, to end up with Eric Clapton's combined full set (the third set) for the concert video.

That concert video release would be a classic one by now for sure.

p.s.
One related thought. It is a shame that Roger Waters actually got Eric Clapton as David Gilmour's 'surrogate' on The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking album, but then failed to let him play and play on that record. He did the same thing on Amused to Death album with Jeff Beck (although he allowed a bit more guitar playing there). Two great ideas, and two wasted opportunities (if there had been Amused to Death Tour with Jeff Back, I would've done something similar to above - now with Beck doing what Clapton would have done for that third encore set).
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

This joke will only work if you've heard and are familiar with TPACOHH.

What did Roger Waters shout to the table next to him as he sat next to a Rock band who's biggest hits were "It's Been Awhile","So Far Away" and "Outside"?

"STAINED WITH ME!!!"

I now return you to this thread.