1994 - Was The Division Bell hyped?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
tjrrockandrollmaster
Axe
Axe

Re: 1994 - Was The Division Bell hyped?

Post by tjrrockandrollmaster »

MTV here in the States did less promotion than Momentary Lapse. However, "Keep Talking" was all over rock radio and Redbeard (of In the Studio fame) hosted the US premiere of The Division Bell which I recorded the night it happened which was the UK release date (he was also the lone person that Pink Floyd gave a US radio interview with that year).

The Division Bell didn't come out here in the US until 5 April, 1994 and managed to be #1 for FOUR WEEKS IN A ROW (in fact it slaughtered the competition which was Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Tim McGraw (who since became a huge country superstar and knocked Floyd out in late May of 1994), Ace of Base, Bonnie Raitt (whom the Floyd overthrew from #1) and grunge).
Ron2112
Embryo
Embryo

Re: 1994 - Was The Division Bell hyped?

Post by Ron2112 »

I can't speak for the whole of the U.S, but in Colorado Springs/Denver, it was HUGE.

Tickets went on sale for the Mile High Stadium concert stop before the actual album release. This was largely before internet ticket sales, so you had to do the campout thing to score tickets. There were about 300 people outside the local record store/ticket outlet. They were pulling tickets as fast as the machine would allow, and we felt lucky to just get in.

The actual album release saw store open at midnight in many places, and I clearly remember being out there to get my copy of the CD, giving a couple spins, and then forcing myself to go to bed for 3 hours sleep, so that I could get up for work in the morning.

Yeah, it was big.