1995 - Pink Floyd's Pulse Album

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: 1995 - Pink Floyd's Pulse Album

Post by jtull »

Hudini wrote:I prefer mixes of live shows where you can hear little to no audience at all.
Than, Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii is the ultimate show of all time. :)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Pretty much is. :)
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Hudini wrote:I prefer mixes of live shows where you can hear little to no audience at all. That way you can focus on music itself. And while it can sometimes be fun to listen to random people shouting "Yeeshkul!" or something like that all it really does is distracts from the actual performance.
It's probably down to personal taste. I know I'm not alone with my opinion, as somebody complained that on DSOT you couldn't really feel the audiences excitement (because the applause between songs is so low) whereas the video version sounds more involved in that regard. I agree that I don't necessarily need audience during the performance, but when they applaud it sounds very detached to me on DSOT...

I also find it cool when the audience start going wild in the middle of a song because something is happening on stage. Think the second part of ITAOT (Dave on top of the wall!) [-D-]
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

jtull wrote:
Hudini wrote:I prefer mixes of live shows where you can hear little to no audience at all.
Than, Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii is the ultimate show of all time. :)
That isn't really live though, as the band did multiple takes of the same tracks and even recorded some of the songs in the studio...
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Than, Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii is the ultimate show of all time. :)[/quote]
That isn't really live though, as the band did multiple takes of the same tracks and even recorded some of the songs in the studio...[/quote]

I think they did the same thing on DSoT
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

DSoT was compiled from multiple live shows, which is not the same thing as having multiple takes per song. In fact, official live albums are usually made that way, unless they are specifically meant to represent one particular concert rather than a tour.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Even Ummagumma Live album was compiled from two live shows. Recorded both at Mothers Club Birmingham on 27 April 69, and at Manchester College of Commerce on 2 May.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Hudini wrote:DSoT was compiled from multiple live shows, which is not the same thing as having multiple takes per song. In fact, official live albums are usually made that way, unless they are specifically meant to represent one particular concert rather than a tour.
Which brings us back to the subject of the thread, stitching together pieces of tracks on the Pulse CD is just overdone imo.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

DSOT was complied over 5 nights at Nassau Coliseum but that album has not that many over dubs and is alot more raw then Pulse where some songs are taken from different nights completely.

Time" (17 September 1994, Modena, Italy; 20 September 1994, Cinecittà, Rome; 20 October 1994, London)

"High Hopes" (14, 19, 20, 21, 29 October 1994, Earl's Court, London)

Pulse is more polished and heavily mixed unlike DSOT
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

azza200 wrote:DSOT was complied over 5 nights at Nassau Coliseum but that album has not that many over dubs and is alot more raw then Pulse where some songs are taken from different nights completely.

Time" (17 September 1994, Modena, Italy; 20 September 1994, Cinecittà, Rome; 20 October 1994, London)

"High Hopes" (14, 19, 20, 21, 29 October 1994, Earl's Court, London)

Pulse is more polished and heavily mixed unlike DSOT
Right, and that's why it lacks edge to my ears. The DVD might not be perfect but it has more atmosphere, as has DSOT (which unfortunately suffers from missing songs). There's no point in making a live album sound "perfect"...
ChickenStu
Axe
Axe

Post by ChickenStu »

I used to have the one with the flashing light on it (it stopped flashing YEARS ago) but last year I upgraded it to a re-release that was just a standard CD case. I don't really need bells and whistles.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

I can totally understand why one might feel that Pulse was too polished, and that it lacks emotion. However, I do quite enjoy it. On that album there are some delightful moments, really. The outro to 'Keep Talking', the nearly four minute guitar solo on 'Comfortably Numb', the middle jam bit they added into 'Money'... those are some really neat bits in my opinion. And yes, it is a bummer that they stitched the songs together like takes in a studio, but I still find it enjoyable nonetheless.
Now 'Soundscape'... that was a great track, despite not actually being much of anything. Great sleeping aid.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

I love watching Pulse. Even though it is enhanced with all of those "non-Floyd" musicians, it is pretty much the last time the 4 great members (minus Syd) of the Floyd were together before Rick's death, other than the brief and uncomfortable 2005 reunion. They still sound great, and the rendition of the album is very good.

If you watch any 70s or 80s band live, there will be background musicians "assisting" with guitar work, percussion, and vocals. When you are 65+, you cannot expect to sound as good as you did 30-40 years ago. Look at any Steely Dan video :shock: When I saw them in Hawaii 6 years ago, Donald Fagan was close to being in a wheelchair, and he sounded horrible. Thank goodness they drowned him out; however, the total performance was still worth attending. I think the same is true for any 60s rock band, including the Beach Boys, Paul McCartney, Jefferson Airplane, the Stones, etc. You cannot expect the awesome performance you saw "in the day" and expect them to perform to those standards today. I am just HAPPY these "older" bands are still performing and enchanting audiences around the world. :D
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Syd'sSexy wrote:If you watch any 70s or 80s band live, there will be background musicians "assisting" with guitar work, percussion, and vocals. When you are 65+, you cannot expect to sound as good as you did 30-40 years ago. Look at any Steely Dan video :shock: When I saw them in Hawaii 6 years ago, Donald Fagan was close to being in a wheelchair, and he sounded horrible. Thank goodness they drowned him out; however, the total performance was still worth attending. I think the same is true for any 60s rock band, including the Beach Boys, Paul McCartney, Jefferson Airplane, the Stones, etc. You cannot expect the awesome performance you saw "in the day" and expect them to perform to those standards today. I am just HAPPY these "older" bands are still performing and enchanting audiences around the world. :D
Shame about Fagen, I haven't seen or heard any recent stuff from him but that doesn't sound good :(

I think the Stones have shown that they still work very well as a band without lots of extra musicians on "Blue & Lonesome". And Paul McCartney is also still a pretty good performer.

In the case of PF, the 74 performances of DSOTM are much rawer. But there's lots of parts overdubbed on the studio album. So David sings "Breathe" with no harmony vocal, there's no guitar on "Great Gig" (David on organ! Pretty rare occasion), etc. - so I can understand the need for extra musicians just to be able to reproduce those layers of sound. On the other hand, it allows for less improvising space (which is why I think "Any Colour" falls flat in 94).
Syd'sSexy wrote:I love watching Pulse. Even though it is enhanced with all of those "non-Floyd" musicians, it is pretty much the last time the 4 great members (minus Syd) of the Floyd were together before Rick's death, other than the brief and uncomfortable 2005 reunion. They still sound great, and the rendition of the album is very good.
Not trying to be anal or Captain Obvious but there's only 3 "great members" on PULSE (unlike Live 8).
The Crazy Diamond
Blade
Blade

Post by The Crazy Diamond »

So how rare is the boxed 4 vinyl set then..forgetting the ebay price as well !