2008 – David Gilmour – Live in Gdansk
Check Current Prices Below!
01. Speak To Me
01. Shine On You Crazy Diamond – From The BBC Mermaid Theatre Concert
On An Island [5.1 Surround Sound Version]:
01. Shine On You Crazy Diamond – Live In Venice And Vienne
|Rate Album and Discuss|
It is a recording of the final show of his On an Island tour in 2006, where he played to an audience of 50,000 at the Gdańsk Shipyard to celebrate Poland’s 1980 revolution.
The show is notable for being the only show on the tour to feature the song A Great Day for Freedom, which appears on Pink Floyd’s final studio album The Division Bell from 1994. It was last performed by Gilmour during his semi-acoustic shows in 2002.
Gilmour and his band were backed by the Polish Baltic Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Zbigniew Preisner and Leszek Możdżer on piano.
The album debuted at #10 on the UK Album chart and debuted at #26 on the US Billboard album chart.
There are hidden “Easter Eggs” (extras) on the two DVDs:
* Play the “Gdańsk Diary”, at the very end (after the credits) the Wireman will appear, when he does – click your “Enter” button to see more from the documentary.
* On Disc 3 (the Gdańsk concert DVD), go to Track Selection and hover the cursor over “Echoes”, after a while it will begin to blink, when it does hit “Enter” on your remote control. This will lead to a video of David and Rick explaining to the rest of the band how Echoes was written.
* Another hidden extra lies behind Barn Jam 166. On the main menu of Disc 4 go to [Performances] > [Next] and highlight “Barn Jam 166”, then hit the left-directional button on your remote control this will take you to another menu asking if you want subtitles or not. This is a video of Dave and Rick talking about jamming at The Barn.
UK Television – Gilmour guested on Jools Holland’s live TV show Later! Live…. with Jools Holland on BBC2 on 23 September 2008, originally to promote the new live album, performing the songs Astronomy Domine, The Blue and Fat Old Sun but with the death of Richard Wright on the 15 September he changed his set to Remember A Day (One of Rick Wright’s contributions to the A Saucerful of Secrets album) and The Blue.
On Friday 26 September 2008, BBC Four held a David Gilmour Night, showing part of the “Gdansk” DVD and “Gdansk Diary” documentary.
US Television – VH1 Classic ran parts of the Gdańsk concert on several nights in late October. The programme includes songs omitted from the DVD: Speak To Me / Breathe, Time, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, and Wish You Were Here.
US Cinemas– Selected US cinemas gave showings of the “Gdańsk” concert during release week.
US Radio – Westwood One aired a world première of the “Gdańsk” concert the weekend before release and included new interviews with David Gilmour.