The Later Years 1986-2014

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
khegs202
Axe
Axe
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:38 pm

Re: The Later Years 1986-2014

Post by khegs202 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:53 pm

Just had a listen to 'On the turning away' and really liked it until the 2nd guitar solo. To me it just sounds rather odd.

raisemyrent
Knife
Knife
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:57 pm

Re: The Later Years 1986-2014

Post by raisemyrent » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:14 pm

mabewa wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:07 am
It's definitely a different vocal take at least for the first verse, but don't think that they used it just because there was a keyboard part they wanted. Listen to the into keyboard synth parts on the live versions and they are actually quite different. The intro synth sounds just like the one on the original studio version, just louder and warmer. No point in lifting a live keyboard part just for that.

I agree that the part is definitely different, but I'm not sure whether it's really from a live performance. Usually, bands record several lead vocal takes and 'comp' them together with what the producer thinks are the best versions (sometimes they do this line-by-line). It could be that they just used unused Gilmour vocal takes from the original version. If it is a live version, they did an incredible job of getting rid of all the crowd noise--usually, that's not hard with an instrumental part, but much harder with a borderline acapella vocal part.

Anyway, my best guess is that they wanted to get rid of the 80's power-ballad aspects of the song, so they made a drier, more straightforward version that sounds like a warmer version of The Wall in terms of production, and they wanted a slightly less-pretty intro lead vocal for that. It works extremely well for me overall, though I agree that the original part had more expression.
That’s some very good points. Indeed I didn’t get it because on DSOT there is an extended keyboard intro that wasn’t used for this new mix. It’s probably a different ayudo take like you say, and I get the possible intent of toning down the 80s ballad feel. My beef is that it was a good vocal! The new one is not as good. It sound strained. Yes it’s warmer and fits the rest of the song.

Anyway, the last post, what do you mean about the guitar solo? It’s the same as the old version, just remixed for a different sound.

mabewa
Axe
Axe
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:32 am

Re: The Later Years 1986-2014

Post by mabewa » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:21 am

raisemyrent wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:14 pm
mabewa wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:07 am
It's definitely a different vocal take at least for the first verse, but don't think that they used it just because there was a keyboard part they wanted. Listen to the into keyboard synth parts on the live versions and they are actually quite different. The intro synth sounds just like the one on the original studio version, just louder and warmer. No point in lifting a live keyboard part just for that.

I agree that the part is definitely different, but I'm not sure whether it's really from a live performance. Usually, bands record several lead vocal takes and 'comp' them together with what the producer thinks are the best versions (sometimes they do this line-by-line). It could be that they just used unused Gilmour vocal takes from the original version. If it is a live version, they did an incredible job of getting rid of all the crowd noise--usually, that's not hard with an instrumental part, but much harder with a borderline acapella vocal part.

Anyway, my best guess is that they wanted to get rid of the 80's power-ballad aspects of the song, so they made a drier, more straightforward version that sounds like a warmer version of The Wall in terms of production, and they wanted a slightly less-pretty intro lead vocal for that. It works extremely well for me overall, though I agree that the original part had more expression.
That’s some very good points. Indeed I didn’t get it because on DSOT there is an extended keyboard intro that wasn’t used for this new mix. It’s probably a different ayudo take like you say, and I get the possible intent of toning down the 80s ballad feel. My beef is that it was a good vocal! The new one is not as good. It sound strained. Yes it’s warmer and fits the rest of the song.

Anyway, the last post, what do you mean about the guitar solo? It’s the same as the old version, just remixed for a different sound.
Yeah, of course it's possible that the 'new' vocal both fits the rest of the song better and is a weaker performance overall. Those are the kinds of compromises that happen while recording.

As for the comment about the guitar solo, I think that was another poster's comment. I do think that the guitar solo sections are the most improved parts of the songs, but as you say, it's the same solo. I just like the way it sounds with the more organic drums and louder organ--really sounds like Pink Floyd now.

mabewa
Axe
Axe
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:32 am

Re: The Later Years 1986-2014

Post by mabewa » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:25 am

Also on the topic of On the Turning Away, I've been listening to the new drums and overall drier mix, but one thing I haven't had the chance to analyze: obviously the Hammond parts are mixed a lot louder than on the original, but are they the same parts as on the original album, or are they 'new' Rick parts that were lifted from live performances (or possibly unused studio takes)?

I mean, those parts were Rick's most audible contribution to the original album, so it's possible that they just decided to bring them up in the mix, rather than replacing them with other parts. Anyone notice any differences or similarities?

raisemyrent
Knife
Knife
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:57 pm

Re: The Later Years 1986-2014

Post by raisemyrent » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:13 am

Hard to say on the organ parts. I listened to the vocal again and I’m warming up to it. It might not be live. It does fit the song better now and the old one was a bit out of character. I suppose I’ll get used to it in time. My wife likes it better (she’s a professional singer), and says it is more folky in rhythm and does fit the song better, while confirming it’s not “perfect”.
The drums are still a bit funny sounding here and there.
Almost pulled the trigger on the whole package and missed out on an American turkey discount. Here in Canada it’s about $550 dollars which is just not right. I don’t need most of it anyway.

mabewa
Axe
Axe
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:32 am

Re: The Later Years 1986-2014

Post by mabewa » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:46 am

I'm not going to buy the whole thing. Just can't justify paying that much money. I basically want 3 things:

1). The AMLOR remix.

2). The DSoT remix.

3). The disk of unreleased studio recording and live B-sides.

Basically 4 CDs worth of material. Here in Japan, where CDs are expensive, they'll probably run me nearly a hundred bucks if packaged as 3 separate albums. But I'm not going to spent 500 bucks for them, which is what the whole package is running for on Amazon.jp.

It's too bad, because I'm REALLY excited about AMLOR, and quite excited about the other two. But I'll have to wait for them to come out separately, because I've never paid 500 bucks for 3 albums, and I'm not going to start now.

raisemyrent
Knife
Knife
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:57 pm

Re: The Later Years 1986-2014

Post by raisemyrent » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:20 pm

Couldn’t agree with you more my friend

mabewa
Axe
Axe
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:32 am

Re: The Later Years 1986-2014

Post by mabewa » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:02 am

I've been listening to the whole highlights album a lot, and it mostly strikes me as very worthwhile stuff: the AMLOR remixes, the DSoT remixes, the unreleased studio recordings, and the great tour rehearsal of 'Lost for Words.' The only stuff that seems kind of superfluous is the live songs from the Knebworth show. I can see why that's a good addition to the boxed set, but probably doesn't warrant a stand-alone release.

dj865
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57 am

Re: The Later Years 1986-2014

Post by dj865 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:28 am

My highlight of the “highlights” is the Marooned Jam. You can really hear a lot of Nick’s flurry’s of rolls, fills and crashes complimenting the guitar work.

As for AMLOR remixes, I’m not sold on this at all. The album has two good songs at best. The expression “polishing a turd” springs to mind here. Why anyone would be wanting to spend £300+ where this album is one of the centre-pieces is beyond me.

User avatar
Hadrian
Knife
Knife
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:28 am
Location: Publius Enigma's living room

Re: The Later Years 1986-2014

Post by Hadrian » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:58 pm

Some interesting points, so far, regarding this box set:

Gilmour stated in the Pink Floyd podcast that Nick recorded his drum parts for A Momentary Lapse of Reason recently, which means there were Pink Floyd recording sessions (Gilmour and Mason in the studio) possibly as late as 2019 \:D/

The expanded Delicate Sound of Thunder will now contain one entire live album, A Momentary Lapse of Reason. The songs are not in sequence as per album, but they can be arranged like that for listening. Studio and live version comparison will be most interesting.

The inclusion of live version of "Arnold Layne" from 2007 as a 7" now officially canonizes that performance of "David, Rick and Nick" as a Pink Floyd one.

We get more of The Endless River with unreleased material from the disc 4 (material originates from the same sessions)

Jimi Dean Barrett
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 1246
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:30 pm

Re: The Later Years 1986-2014

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:47 pm

Got some tax rebate chase up over Christmas but priorities I got the one CD.
It really shouldn't matter because the charts have changed and besides it's Pink Floyd, but dammit I am curious where this will chart on Friday (after 6p!) in the album chart.

Jimi Dean Barrett
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 1246
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:30 pm

Re: The Later Years 1986-2014

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:27 pm

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:47 pm
Got some tax rebate chase up over Christmas but priorities I got the one CD.
It really shouldn't matter because the charts have changed and besides it's Pink Floyd, but dammit I am curious where this will chart on Friday (after 6p!) in the album chart.
Huh. 32! Oh well.https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/

User avatar
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4212
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:53 am
Location: Krud City

Re: The Later Years 1986-2014

Post by drafsack » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:13 am

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:27 pm

Huh. 32! Oh well.https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/
I'm surprised it got as high as that as only compilests care about thing like this