"Floyd of the Worlds"

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
b.king
Knife
Knife

"Floyd of the Worlds"

Post by b.king »

Happy Halloween!!!

This local (New Jersey Shore Area) classic rock station 105.7 "The Hawk" just played a rather kick-ass program for the last 2 1/2 hours. They played the original "War of the Worlds", that was broadcasted on October 30, 1938. Everybody knows the story, but if you don't.....
Orson Welles broadcasted a radio program on Halloween "Eve" in 1938 that sounded just like a real news bulletin claiming that there was a Martian invasion in the farmlands of New Jersey. Over the course of a few hours the fake stories drove thousands into hysteria. The broadcast used real locations and authentic sounding "officials". Anywho, if you want to read more about this go to http://www.war-of-the-worlds.org

This station played the broadcast along with Floyd songs. I, being the nerd I am, wrote down all of the songs.
Great Gig in the Sky
Astronomy Domine
SOYCD
Hey You
Speak to Me/Breathe
Comfortably Numb
Us and Them
Time/Breathe (Reprise)
Welcome to the Machine
In the Flesh?
Run Like Hell
Nobody Home
One of My Turns
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
Keep Talking
Don't Leave Me Now
Sorrow
Learning to Fly
High Hopes
Another Brick in the Wall
Goodbye Blue Sky
Brain Damage
Eclipse
Is There Anybody Out There?
Goodbye Cruel World

Very cool. This is the same station that played DSOTM in sync with the last Lunar Eclipse a couple years ago. :twisted:[/url]
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Aah, I absolutely adore Welles' War Of The Worlds broadcast! Genius, and radio theatre at it's peak.

I wish someone recorded it. I wonder how Floyd was put into it, I mean...
carefule eugene
Knife
Knife

Re: "Floyd of the Worlds"

Post by carefule eugene »

b.king wrote:Happy Halloween!!!

This local (New Jersey Shore Area) classic rock station 105.7 "The Hawk" just played a rather kick-ass program for the last 2 1/2 hours. They played the original "War of the Worlds", that was broadcasted on October 30, 1938. Everybody knows the story, but if you don't.....
Is it somewhere on the net available? I would like to hear the original broadcasting!
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

there is a floyd of the world sync around i have a copy but the quality leaves something to be desired
carefule eugene
Knife
Knife

Re: "Floyd of the Worlds"

Post by carefule eugene »

carefule eugene wrote:
b.king wrote:Happy Halloween!!!

Is it somewhere on the net available? I would like to hear the original broadcasting!
Nobody knows?
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Now that I think of it, I'd also really like to hear it. Even if Jedi with Crazy Diamonds had to upload his version and I just use a sound editor to put those songs (I have) into my copy of War Of The Worlds to replicate the original...
Mooner
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Mooner »

b.king, maybe you should buy someone at the radio station a very expensive bottle of scotch and maybe they'll do something very nice for you :wink:
b.king
Knife
Knife

Post by b.king »

I will give it a go. Give me some time. I'll get back to you. :twisted: