BBC Seek Help on Pink Floyd Footage

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Dydion
Axe
Axe

Post by Dydion »

Back in the 70s, TV stations here in the States were allowed into concerts to film a small blurb for the nightly news. Something along the lines of, for example, "As you can see here, BigRockBand played last night in the SportsDome here at OurCollege! BigRockBand is promoting their new album and is crossing America, rocking their fans. They had an exciting night last night with advanced lightshows and fantastic music." <cutaway to a 5-second shot of guitarists hammering it out, the drummer drumming, somebody singing, and fans fisting the air and head-banging> And so on.

I don't see this happening anymore, though.

Touring rock acts were big news in the 70s. I distinctly remember seeing concert shots of the Carpenters and Led Zeppelin...and I'm not sure who all else. But Pink Floyd breezed through here in 77, so i wrote to one of the TV stations that was around back then and referred him to the BBC contact, and told him what was going on. There is one more station, but I can't find a decent contact person. I will look tomorrow.

But I'm also willing to bet that, in some cities, the cameramen / reporter might have hung around and surreptitiously filmed a whole lot more than they showed on TV. These cameramen might very well still have some of these films. You never know. The trick would be to find some time, do some sleuthing and locate these individuals and ask them. With the copyright bullshit the way it is now, people just might be afraid to speak up.
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife

Post by Meneer Jansen »

Thanks for the explanation. I think that they got the 1977 snippet that way...
towg

Post by towg »

They can borrow my copy of The Wall if they want. I want it back though...
Ummagumma!
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Ummagumma! »

Meneer Jansen wrote:
jambo wrote:when the HRV logo at the start comes up, keep pressing the enter/select button on your dvd players remote, then a screen should appear saying "you'll have to look harder" or something like that. When that comes up keep pressing enter/select on your remote and it should play a clip.
Thanks man! I've seen it now! I use a PC to watch my DVD's. Its hidden at the end of the last VOB file.
Could the concert footage in that clip be from "Superstars in Concert?". It's a really short snippet!
Nope, thats from the live at kralington (sp) 1970 footage.
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife

Post by Meneer Jansen »

Ummagumma! wrote:
Meneer Jansen wrote: Thanks man! I've seen it now! I use a PC to watch my DVD's. Its hidden at the end of the last VOB file.
Could the concert footage in that clip be from "Superstars in Concert?". It's a really short snippet!
Nope, thats from the live at kralington (sp) 1970 footage.
Thanks for the info. :)
amalyc
Embryo
Embryo

Post by amalyc »

The Hell with a few brief clips interspersed with documentary commentary, I want a full 2 DVD, 5 hour (no make that 4 DVD, 10 hour) career retrospective of the brilliant sort Led Zeppelin issued.

Start with all the available performaces with Syd, include the best possible pre -1973 concert footage from all that is available out there, then contact wolfgang's vault and negotiate the release of the pro-shot footage available from gigs at Bill Graham's venues from the 73 through 77 tours, then end with the remastered Wall concert footage.

That along with DSOT, PULSE, and Roger and Daves recent DVD's should just about cover it.

PM me when its ready. :D
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

amalyc wrote:That along with DSOT, PULSE...
Just for completion's sake, not cos they are any good.
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife

Post by Meneer Jansen »

amalyc wrote:The Hell with a few brief clips interspersed with documentary commentary, I want a full 2 DVD, 5 hour (no make that 4 DVD, 10 hour) career retrospective of the brilliant sort Led Zeppelin issued.

Start with all the available performaces with Syd, include the best possible pre -1973 concert footage from all that is available out there, then contact wolfgang's vault and negotiate the release of the pro-shot footage available from gigs at Bill Graham's venues from the 73 through 77 tours, then end with the remastered Wall concert footage.

That along with DSOT, PULSE, and Roger and Daves recent DVD's should just about cover it.

PM me when its ready. :D
I completely agree with you! But what are Wolfgang's vaults? And what are 'Bill Graham' venues? I allways thought that there was nothing left from the seventies because something MUST have leaked by now...

P.S. The Nebworth part of the Led Zep DVD is mixed with bootlegs (!).
amalyc
Embryo
Embryo

Post by amalyc »

It was reported a while back that the people that bought the estate (warehouses filled with material) of famous concert promoter Bill Graham (who owned the Filmore East and West venues, I think, and maybe some others), had discovered that they had a huge amount of professionaly filmed and recorded material of artists that appeared at the sites, spanning some 30+ years I think.

Virtually everybody played at Graham's venues, and the material is probably among most important repository of visual popular music history that exists. The Floyd played many, many dates at these venues and should be well represented in the material.

This story is in the brain-damage news archives with relevant links, and there is a wolfgangs vault website where you can buy high priced memorabilia. When the news was first reported, I checked it out and you could buy an original '77 In the Flesh Oakland poster for, less than $100, went back a few weeks later and they had jacked all the prices WAY up !!!!

Problem is there needs to be somebody (like Page was for Zep) that has a burning desire and willingness to take on the huge amount of work to definitively document the groups legacy, and David sure isn't of a frame of mind to do that, and Roger probably doesn't have the legal footing to do it, so...
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife

Post by Meneer Jansen »

Thank you for the explanation. :)
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife

Post by Meneer Jansen »

Wait a minute! How could I've been so blind! There's a very well known comprehensive list of what has been aired on TV, amoungst which some 70's stuff by the BBC themselves! It's on the infamous pf-roio site: http://www.pf-roio.de/voio/TV.html

NO need for the fans to send in material, just look in the vaults of French TV etc. Still think the BBC request is hoax or an april fools joke.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Meneer Jansen wrote:
NO need for the fans to send in material, just look in the vaults of French TV etc. Still think the BBC request is hoax or an april fools joke.
It's not a hoax. They are just missing some material from those key dates mentioned in the first post.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

BBC are idiots lol. They shoot loads of footage, delete it all to make way for Frankie goes to Hollywood, then expect us to go shit-raking incase we MIGHT have some in our attics? Hell! I might have some in my attic. Never looked. Not going to either.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

my breakfast. wrote: Hell! I might have some in my attic. Never looked. Not going to either.
What a silly boy's attitude. :roll:
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: BBC Seek Help on Pink Floyd Footage

Post by Hogtown »

So, did the BBC finally do it?