Meeting Pink Floyd?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Meeting Pink Floyd?

Post by quicksilver »

Has anyone in this forum ever met any member of Pink Floyd or came close? The closest I came was back in 1987 during Rogers Radio KAOS tour. My brother and I were standing in line at the Milwaukee Auditorium and they had these metal security gates set up so no one would wander down the hallways. We were leaning against one of them so we could see all of the way down the hallway and we noticed a commotion about 30 feet down from us. Well, what had happened was the entrance to the rear of the building was blocked because of a car accident that took place and they re-routed Roger to another entrance. He walked through that entrance and they ended up opening the gate we were next to and he walked right by us. Of course people were asking for autographs and such and he was very gracious in saying "I am working tonight, but I'll be here after the show" and true to his words he was there about 45 minuets after the show and signed autographs.
FloydNZ
Blade
Blade

Post by FloydNZ »

Back in 1998 (i think)....Nick Mason held a webchat on the website of a Classic racing car magazine to promote his book "Into The Red".....it was advertised before the chat that 2 lucky participants would win a signed copy of the book each of asking the most interesting questions.
I was lucky enough to be one of the winners.....and the book is now my most treasured item in my Floyd collection.
I know its not really like meeting one of the band members 'in the flesh' but i think it's the closest I'm likely to get :)
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

A friend of a friend of a friend of mine (That's not a typo heh) supposedly once met David Gilmour. She met him while working in a restaurant Gilmour was eating in at the time (Circa 1987, I believe), and she was a huge fan of the Floyd at the time so, naturally, she went up to him and asked for his autograph. Supposedly (This is hearsay, after all) Gilmour replied "Get the **** away from me. I'm busy eating." to her request. The poor girl was stunned, of course, and so she stood there bewildered (After all, David's the "jolly one," right?). Sure enough, seconds later Gilmour supposedly said to her "Are you ****ing deaf? Get out of here." She just left after that...

Man, I don't know what I would have done in her situation...

Anyway, I've never met anyone involved with the Floyd, and I don't really have a desire to do so. However, I certainly wouldn't mind getting all of their autographs :D

I'd certainly enjoy interviewing Roger Waters too (I'd ask more questions than you can shake a stick at).
FloydNZ
Blade
Blade

Post by FloydNZ »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:I'd certainly enjoy interviewing Roger Waters too (I'd ask more questions than you can shake a stick at).
How many of those question do you think he would be happy to answer?
I think i feel a new thread coming on.....

Post by Guest »

I actually worked at Dave Gilmours house in 1996.
I am in the building trade and we had just layed a floor screed in the kitchen area.
Gilmour walked in, across the floor, to the fridge and then back again.
He never batted an eye-lid.
Our boss went mad asking which stupid pillock had left his footprints (BARE FOOTED) all over the cement floor.
Corporal Clegg
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Corporal Clegg »

Anonymous wrote:I actually worked at Dave Gilmours house in 1996.
I am in the building trade and we had just layed a floor screed in the kitchen area.
Gilmour walked in, across the floor, to the fridge and then back again.
He never batted an eye-lid.
Our boss went mad asking which stupid pillock had left his footprints (BARE FOOTED) all over the cement floor..
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

FloydNZ wrote:
How many of those question do you think he would be happy to answer?
Hopefully all of them, but who really knows...
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

My sister met Pink Floyd, no joke. During the AMLOR tour, my dad(who had the hook up) got her back stage passes, and she said they were all really nice, and she chatted with them for about 5 minutes. She said David Gilmour said "I didnt know girls your age listened to us" she was about 16 years old, but anyways, she said that they were the nicest people ever.
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

meeting floyd

Post by grateful pink »

met roger at wall movie premier in ny and got autographed program also autograph of bob geldof.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

I jammed with the Pink Floyd two months ago. First, we did a two day long 'Echoes' putting in bits like Several Species..., Interstellar, Atom Heart Mother, Jenny from the block etc. Than it was me and Rick playing SOYCD just with a slide mandolin (me) and plates with dinner left-overs (rick).
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

my story was actually true, though not that impressive.

But actually, not only did i meet pink floyd or a member, I AM PINK FLOYD! :P
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

Oh, by the way, wich one's Pink?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Not me. I just feel it. :)
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

Well, I met and spoke to Tim Willis for quite a while. He's the author of the 2002 book 'Madcap' which is another book about Syd Barrett. Really nice bloke and the book's alright too. He interviewed both Roger and Dave and sort of interviewed Syd. He said Roger was really nice. I cut him off before he spoke about Dave though. I told him 'don't talk to me about that man.' I then walked off.

Can anyone beat that?