Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

They would never do that :-)
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Atom Heart Mother

Post by grateful pink »

I'm sorry (why am i apologizing?) but one of my favorite floyd pieces is AHM. It is not as good live (even with the chorus as on "take Linda Surfing") but I still love that piece of music. It has much (but of course less) of the appeal that Echoes has for me.

Just Listen to Funky Dung and tell me that this is not classic Floyd. I am sure that many will tell me that it is not :D
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

It's brilliant. Quite brilliant. Sorry!
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

There's a few nice bits but it's so 'out of sync' sounding. It sounds like the work of a bunch of musical amateurs who got drunk and trusted their luck.
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

decampos wrote:There's a few nice bits but it's so 'out of sync' sounding. It sounds like the work of a bunch of musical amateurs who got drunk and trusted their luck.
It's supposed to be out of sync. In fact Geesin mentioned the "stuttered" sound of the beginning score of the piece before the band comes in.

They are playing with our heads. If anyone has the nuts to listen to it blown out on acid (which i have done many times--but will no longer do that stuff) you will see why it sounds that way.

And they say that they never had drugs in mind when they did this stuff--rubbish! :roll:
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

Geesin was interviewed about the track for BBC television a while back and he went to great pains to point out what's wrong with the piece; some major mistakes in the musical structure of the song - 'The rhythms didn't match up...' was one thing off the top of my head. He spoke about how dynamics and tempo changes are supposed to work but don't. I'll have to go watch that again, he said some very complimentary things about Roger as well ... I can't remember what they are.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

The only thing about 'Atom Heart Mother' which I really dislike is when the drum sound goes muddy for no apparent reason. Can't remember which bit. It just goes crap. Perhaps it was recorded in parts, although I thought they 'staggered' through it in one go, as Nick Mason once said.
whitesands82
Embryo
Embryo

Post by whitesands82 »

At the IN THE FLESH concert in Rome, Italy June 12, 2002, Roger Waters looked and pointed at me and shouted, "You! Yes You! Stand still laddie!!" It was broad daylight at the time and I was less than 20 feet from the stage. I knew he was going to play "ABITW" next so I was jumping up and down as high as I could to get his attention-and he did!
After that, he sort of smiled at me as he continued on with the bass intro. That's the only meeting with any PF member I've ever had-if you can call that a "meeting."
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

I had a similar (ish) experience at an AC/DC gig in Birmingham (England) in November 2000. Angus Young looked down at me. One metre away. Me happy. :)
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

I spat in Roger's face at an ITF show in 99 in Toronto.
I screamed out "THAT WAS FOR 77 YOU BASTARD!!!!!!!!!111111"
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Monsters Of Rock...Memphis, Tennesee...I threw a devil's horn hand salute into the air and made this face at the stage :twisted: while everyone else around me was headbanging. Don Dokken saw me, did a double take and grinned at me.

True story.