Please Discuss

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Please Discuss

Post by Stiggs »

After Dark Side Of The Moon, Pink Floyd has made great cd after another. Their concept albums are what made them ultra famous. But which do you feel had the most meaning? The most important message, the one that struck you the most, et cetera. And discuss your reasons.

Again the choices are:

Dark Side Of The Moon

Wish you Were Here

Animals

The Wall

The Final Cut

A Momentary Lapse Of Reason/The Division Bell
A lot of people don't count these as concept albums, nor would they be considered "real" Pink Floyd albums but I feel they deserve credit as well.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

Well, after much thought about each release I always came back to The Final Cut. This is the only Floyd album that can strike an emotional cord with me every time I listen to it. The lyrics are so deep and emotional that they damn near bring a tear to my eye, especially "Two Suns in the Sunset". Although things were pretty bad during this time between Roger and David; musically, this album is awesome. David's guitar is very strong and decisive; it almost tells a story by itself. It compliments Roger's lyrics very well. In my opinion Rogers's voice is at his best. He can be singing very softly for a few minuets and then all of a sudden, BANG!! he cranks it up-I love it! I drive my family nuts listening to the CD in my car because I have to adjust the volume constantly.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Agreed

Post by Stiggs »

I agree wholeheartedly with you on that one. After a very long mental debate (5 seconds, haha) I chose The Final Cut. After hearing this album it struck me as a profound CD, I haven't seen such a lyrical essay with such depth and emotion that it quickly went up there in my list of faves. The Wall is a lot more excellent to listen to, but it's only slightly trailing behind The Final Cut in emotional depth.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

I agree with the choice of The Final Cut

Its emotional, and the meaning is in-your-face

however the meaning was very cynical, of Thatcher, of WW2...

its impersonal.

the album with the most down-to-earth meaning is The Wall. Like everyone has said, there is something in there for all of us (especially the first half). Thats why i think it has the most meaning. it's story is also a lot clearer than The Final Cut - more importantly, a visual story can be established fromthe lyrics and music, rather like 'Pros and Cons of Hithchiking' and 'Radio KAOS',

(Yes I know theres a movie, but i reckon they could have done a better job of it).

personally, though not the best, my favourite album for meaning is Animals. Im a fan of George Orwell's 'Animal Farm' as well. can you tell? :p
bertblotto
Embryo
Embryo

Concepts

Post by bertblotto »

Well, DSOTM is my favorite album, but as a concept, it's a bit scattered.
WYWH is also a great album, but the message of absense is awkward. The songs about Syd are really touching, but the other two just don't seem to fit, conceptually.
ANIMALS is just great...an exploration of human nature. Very pure. A gem.
The Wall has wonderful moments, but, just Pros And Cons, it's too surreal and nonlinear to be a standard "story" and too scattered to have a real point.
THE FINAL CUT is just too whiney for me overall. Every song is about the same exact thing.
MLOR is just 80's pop songs, albiet some good ones.
TDB is about communication, and I must say I enjoy it a lot. Each song is about the connections we make with other people, or don't make for that matter.
I'll agree it's no ANIMALS, but I like it. I don't care to argue its merits, I just like it.
So, my votes for concepts are ANIMALS and DIVISION BELL.
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

To call the Division Bell a concept album is the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard. If anything it's a really bad "loose" concept record. Or a bad attempt at a concept record. Don't get me wrong, I like the record and think there is some good songs on it.. but c'mon.. it's not a very good concept record at all. It's like, "Hmmmm I wonder where Dave's brilliant reason to use a bell came from?" It's just an attempt to recreate something from the past, it fails.

It has never or will ever come close to the works of The Wall, Animals, or DarkSide.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I'm sorry...did I just read that someone thinks The Wall doesn't have a cohesive storyline?

Did I just read that?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Why's AMLOR in the list? Name one thing that makes it a concept album. I guess the concept is Pink Floyd trying to sound like a minastream 80's pop band, but i may very well be wrong :lol:
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

NewEarthMud wrote:To call the Division Bell a concept album is the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard. If anything it's a really bad "loose" concept record. Or a bad attempt at a concept record. Don't get me wrong, I like the record and think there is some good songs on it.. but c'mon.. it's not a very good concept record at all. It's like, "Hmmmm I wonder where Dave's brilliant reason to use a bell came from?" It's just an attempt to recreate something from the past, it fails.

It has never or will ever come close to the works of The Wall, Animals, or DarkSide.
The concept of TDB is as "loose" as the concepts of TDSOTM , WYWH, and Animals. End.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

The TDB is as good a P-F album or better than a lot of thier early stuff.I have got it out lately and listened to it very carefully.It's better than ASOS,Meddle,PATGOD,and others.To dismiss it because it sounds like P-F from 70s is a joke.The 70s was thier best time and I for one think this ties in with that time perfectly.I consider it to have great P-F sound.They weren't trying to copy that time,that is the Pink Floyd sound.Don't blame them if they didn't expand thier boundries enough for you.Maybe your idea of P-F isn't the same as thier ideas of themselves.
NewEarthMud

Post by NewEarthMud »

Give me a break!!

Better than Meddle?!! Have you lost your mind?!! Name me one song off of the Division Bell that you can honestly say is better than Fearless, Echoes, or One Of These Days

To say the Division Bell is better than Piper at the Gates of Dawn is THE MOST absurd thing I have ever heard in my life.

The Division Bell is a good album but c'mon here... get real. Since they went back to the 70's sound they should have re done the tune Money, changed the lyrics and changed the title to "We Love Money, Lets Go Make Some in Stadiums".

Division Bell, Momentary, and the tours that they done post Waters were all about money... the lyrics are watered down and the music is just a recreation of the past. Dave's voice and guitar skills are too damn good for him to be singing and playing songs like that under the name Pink Floyd. The record could have been better. Gilmour, Wright, and Mason are all too talented to put out records like that. Gilmour can still play the hell out of a guitar and sing his ass off as you can hear on What Do You Want From Me.

To say the record is BETTER than Piper and Meddle... very absurd and ridiculous.

You're entitled to your opinion, obviously, but that's like me saying that Roger's Kaos record is much better than Obscured By Clouds.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The Division Bell does not even get measured on the same scale as Echoes!! :D
JAXREBFAN
Axe
Axe

what I like the best

Post by JAXREBFAN »

I would say the best PF album would be THE FINAL CUT ! Next would be DARK SIDE OF THE MOON and THE WALL!! H H H :roll:
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I belive I know what to say to get a rise out of you'll,it's so easy.Echoes is the best song ever we all know it.The point I was trying to make about TDB is that it is better than most people give it credit.They are a lot of people that kick it just because Roger isn't in it.I have to say I like it without question.It may not be thier greatest cd but it is surely not the worst either.I just get tired of seeing it get kicked for bad reasons.